mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Trek Scratch 9 coil 180mm owners

How is the 2011 Scratch 9 coil as a freeride/light DH rig? My friends tell me to get a DH rig, but we only go to Mammoth bike park 3~4 times a year and shuttle locally like twice per year.

I currently have a 150mm Remedy 9.9 built burly for AM and a 80mm FS XC. I'm not planning on doing anything Red Bull Rampage HUGH on a FR/DH bike.

How is the 2011 Scratch 9 coil in the air, off hucks, gaps...etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I owned a Scratch 8 for a while, and it was a fantastic bike. Although Mammoth might be a little to much chunk to really plow through on a Scratch, it's still entirely doable. The scratch is a great all around FR bike.

One to thing to keep in mind is that Scratches had some rear triangle strength issues. I never broke mine while I had it, but a buddy broke one on his scratch 7 (although he was a little hefty).

If you can get a good deal on one, I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    I owned a Scratch 8 for a while, and it was a fantastic bike. Although Mammoth might be a little to much chunk to really plow through on a Scratch, it's still entirely doable. The scratch is a great all around FR bike.

One to thing to keep in mind is that Scratches had some rear triangle strength issues. I never broke mine while I had it, but a buddy broke one on his scratch 7 (although he was a little hefty).

If you can get a good deal on one, I'd say go for it.
    I'll second that. My buddy broke his twice. He's on his 3rd frame now. Not sure if they corrected it yet.

mtbr member
    I've had one for about 2 years (the Scratch 8) and it's been solid. I'm about 190 geared up and have had no issues with the rear triangle. The bike keeps up just fine as long as I don't chicken out.

I'm not a big air type person but I'll hit most stuff 3-4' and shorter and it seems fine to me in the air. My only complaint was the factory tires and the fact that on mine I have no adjustment with the front suspension but the tires are personal preference and the shocks are different on the 9 so I doubt that'd be a problem for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My local shop has a great deal on a new Scratch 9 that's been on their showroom for over a year. Another option is a new 2009 Giant Glory1 for $1500. The Glory is less $, but at 43lbs compared to a 37lbs Scratch 9...I'm leaning toward the Scratch 9. The extra 6lbs is a bit for me to man handle, I'm 155lbs with XC gear.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    I just bought a leftover 11 Scratch9 for $2299. Love it so far on the few rides I've been on.

Levi Early
    I use my scratch 8 for just about everything. I would say go for the scratch

mtbr member
    I ride Mammoth a lot.
    I've ridden the Scratch.
    Mammoth does not require a full on DH rig. The new school trails there are fun on a 7" bike with geometry similar to the Scratch.
    You can also get down a lot of the old school DH there on a long travel park/freeride bike no problem. Just takes a bit more finesse in line choice.
    Scratch is far more versatile than a DH rig for the park riding and shuttling you outline.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    @ Norman Clydesdale

Did you ride a Scratch air or coil?

How's the Scratch on Velocity to Techno Rock drop, Flow Drop, Twilight Zone, DC-10, and Bullet?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Scratch with 180 Van and air shock, so not the stock air or coil configuration.
    Haven't ridden those trails and features on the Scratch, but similar terrain and DH speed.
    Scratch jumps and drops well. It's slack enough to feel good at speed, but didn't feel floppy at low speed when picking new lines.
    When I rode it it was about 6lbs lighter than my usual bike, so that was the biggest difference.
    Handling was not too different from any similarly specd bike with 66ish degree head angle, however I felt the top tube was A LOT shorter than I prefer. That was a big deal for pedaling and I didn't think I would get used to it.
    It's a nice mix of poppy/playful on jump terrain and planted in the rough, but the 180 Van goes through/over just about anything.
    I ride 7" travel bikes with similar head angles, so the Scratch was really nothing too new for me.
    On the trails you mention at Mammoth, the only two that I consider falling in to DH terrain are Bullet and a portion of DC10 and I prefer a 7" freeride bike for all of them except for DC10( I don't know what the new DC10 will ride like when it opens).
    In my opinion, Mammoth is just getting faster and more fun for 6-7" travel bikes and today's 6-7" travel bikes are capable of a lot of old school DH duty.