mtbr member
    Aug 2004

We the people ... Trek Diesel Freeride?

I just saw a 2003 Trek Diesel Freeride in a shop for $2300. I can get a similar deal on a Giant DH Team, and I know the Giant would be a better DH bike, but I'm trying to find something I can use for beginner downhilling, and for freeriding, too. The Giant looks to be DH only, period.

The components on the Trek were really good. I know some people rag on Boxxers, but I have had one on a Ventana Tandem for four years, and it has been great. I know how to tune them.

A couple things were weird. It had a floating rear brake, which I didn't see listed on the archive of the Trek website as a standard item. And it had a double ring Holzfeller crank, but no front derailleur. Instead it had a chainguide above and behind the crank. I saw some posts talking about a 'chain torque eliminator'. I assume that is what this is? So if you feel the need to control bob with the CTE, you shift the front with your hands, or what?

Am I to assume the front derailleur should have come with the bike along with the CTE, or is it an 'option'. Are the CTE and front derailleur an either or thing?

How good/bad does this bike pedal without the CTE?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Without the CTE the Diesel pedals about as bad as anything out there today. Thus when Trek added the Diesel FR with a front derailleur and dropped the CTE they created about the worst pedaling bike out there. That and it's price is why the Diesel does not exist anymore. With the CTE though, the bike pedals nicely and is a lot of fun. Way too expensive for what it was, but still fun.

The packaging you're talking about (CTE and 2 rings) sounds like an after-the-fact ghetto rigging. Not sure how to look at that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Chillin the Most
    Get the Giant. Seen plenty of people use them for both. IMO, way better bike than the Trek. Or keep looking if you need dual rings.