Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,312

    treastle banna peel.....

    anybody check this out...thoughts?????

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb_kUyHrYX4
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  2. #2
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    540
    Saw this yesterday.. I little above my risk to reward level but cool for the guys that have the skill and the balls to hit it..

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    438
    I got to watch some people hit it a few times on the last weekend of last season. It looks cool, and it's fun to watch people go off it, but honestly it's above the skill level of 70%+ of the riders. They make you watch a video and sign a waiver before you can ride it, and there is a patrol person posted at the entrance to thwart any would-be gapers from entering.

    My opinion:
    Big waste of time.. Took 2 years to build and complete, and far beyond the skill level of most riders. It's more slope-style oriented than DH, which has sadly been the major focus of Trestle as of late.

  4. #4
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,750
    Got friends who live in WP and they said almost exactly the same thing. It's cool to "push the sport" (which the builders are saying is why it's so huge) but I don't know who this is gonna appeal to. Not on my list of things to do....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I got to watch some people hit it a few times on the last weekend of last season. It looks cool, and it's fun to watch people go off it, but honestly it's above the skill level of 70%+ of the riders. They make you watch a video and sign a waiver before you can ride it, and there is a patrol person posted at the entrance to thwart any would-be gapers from entering.

    My opinion:
    Big waste of time.. Took 2 years to build and complete, and far beyond the skill level of most riders. It's more slope-style oriented than DH, which has sadly been the major focus of Trestle as of late.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jurichar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    443
    its stupid and forced a bunch of riders to shift our money over to keystone. They spent all summer and a bunch of cash building it and honestly maybe 1 in a hundred riders will go on it. I'm a cat 1 racer and consider myself a decent jumper, but that trail is way too dangerous. The first couple features no big deal, but the middle/ending stuff no way. 40 ft wood ramp gap in the trees??? I have no idea what WP was thinking. How about spending a third of that cash on building another trestle dh run? or literally anything else.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

  6. #6
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,883
    It's out of my league... but kudos to those that have the skills and balls.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gripped303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    its stupid and forced a bunch of riders to shift our money over to keystone. They spent all summer and a bunch of cash building it and honestly maybe 1 in a hundred riders will go on it. I'm a cat 1 racer and consider myself a decent jumper, but that trail is way too dangerous. The first couple features no big deal, but the middle/ending stuff no way. 40 ft wood ramp gap in the trees??? I have no idea what WP was thinking. How about spending a third of that cash on building another trestle dh run? or literally anything else.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    177
    I am not ready (and probably will never be) - but for those who smoothly ride XL slopestyle line at Boulder Valmont park - on DJ bikes - it looks very doable. And there are many such riders.
    They don't like to pay for tickets and big bikes though

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    385
    Perhaps because of the FMB and EWS stopping at Trestle recently, they've decided to up the ante and build something big like this. I saw it being built when I was there last year and thought it looked cool but would never ride it myself.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,548
    I'm way too sucky to do any of that, but I'm glad it's there. Definitely pushing the sport. I think it's a good thing to help riders aspire to more, and it looks like they are doing things in a pretty responsible manner.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  11. #11
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,312
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    I think it's a good thing to help riders aspire to more, and it looks like they are doing things in a pretty responsible manner.
    I think it is a dis-service to the advancement of riders....lots of people will get wrecked if they are at just at the edge of making this skill level....

    now look at Whistler...they have big stuff, but it is all in a controlled enviroment so you can go big without getting hurt as much....and it is still fun for newbs and Elite
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,753
    If you know the area/resort, they've left the entire Mary Jane side untouched. The potential on that side of the resort is ridiculous! Instead, pissed away entirely too much money catering to the super upper echelon...and then station a bike patrol at this section.
    I'd rather see them do up some old school DH steeps and chunks down Jane.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  13. #13
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,449
    all of that looks pretty cake if you simply ride it at trail speed. i didn't see anything that looked remotely dangerous...


  14. #14
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,449
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    ..I have no idea what WP was thinking...
    say it with me now "outside the box." i knew you could and i know it wasn't that hard. there are already a thousand and one "regular" dh trails. people with skills are bored to death with them since they are catered to 98% or the crowd. sometimes you have to build stuff that isn't intended for everyone and their mother. appreciate it for what it is and stop being a whiney sad pathetic little hater. you claim cat 1, i call straight up bs. if you were legit, you wouldn't think twice about it..


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Looks like a lot of work went into building a very unique trail. I am not familiar with the mountain so I can't say that they wasted resources.

    Definitely above my skill level but it is nice to see that not all bike parks are dedicated to "Flow" lines.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    250

    take your...

    balls out of your purse and let er' buck! jk - looks big but not outrageous.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    314
    it's a good thing to have part of a course/trail un-ridable for the majority of people...it allows people the opportunity to step up their game and advance their skills...

    it irks me to no end when i see part of our regular xc trails get dumbed down and have people pile up wood over a large drop so that every single person can ride it...99% of the trail already can be ridden with almost no effort, why make that one portion easier to ride just because you couldn't? it doesn't allow for advancement of skills

    bike parks already require a certain skillset from riders, even on the easy green trails...to say that the banana peel is too tough for the majority of people and therefore should not exist is short-sighted and selfish

    HOWEVER, if the reasoning behind that argument is that the allocation of funds or resources that were put into banana peel could have been used for the betterment of many areas of the park and that it cost too much to build this section, then i can understand that...but if the reason is "because i can't ride it and neither can a bunch of other people," then, no, i don't agree

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    it's a good thing to have part of a course/trail un-ridable for the majority of people...it allows people the opportunity to step up their game and advance their skills...

    it irks me to no end when i see part of our regular xc trails get dumbed down and have people pile up wood over a large drop so that every single person can ride it...99% of the trail already can be ridden with almost no effort, why make that one portion easier to ride just because you couldn't? it doesn't allow for advancement of skills

    bike parks already require a certain skillset from riders, even on the easy green trails...to say that the banana peel is too tough for the majority of people and therefore should not exist is short-sighted and selfish

    HOWEVER, if the reasoning behind that argument is that the allocation of funds or resources that were put into banana peel could have been used for the betterment of many areas of the park and that it cost too much to build this section, then i can understand that...but if the reason is "because i can't ride it and neither can a bunch of other people," then, no, i don't agree
    The balance is off. I can't quote how much money it took, but it did take the better part of 2 years to open. 2 years, no other new trails, and very little improvement on the existing trails. All that and less than 10% of the ticket buyers will ever touch it. IMHO it's a misappropriation of funds. SOO much potential on that mountain to spread out and open up other areas and this is all we get for a new or improved trail for 2 years??

    If this is what WP wants to spend their money and time building they will cater to whomever WANTS to ride that. I personally do not like that type of riding very much so I will spend my time and money somewhere that builds trails that I like riding, like AF or Keystone.

  19. #19
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    The balance is off. I can't quote how much money it took, but it did take the better part of 2 years to open. 2 years, no other new trails, and very little improvement on the existing trails. All that and less than 10% of the ticket buyers will ever touch it. IMHO it's a misappropriation of funds. SOO much potential on that mountain to spread out and open up other areas and this is all we get for a new or improved trail for 2 years??

    If this is what WP wants to spend their money and time building they will cater to whomever WANTS to ride that. I personally do not like that type of riding very much so I will spend my time and money somewhere that builds trails that I like riding, like AF or Keystone.
    This is spot on.. Its not a trail that 95% of the riders will ride and there is no trail progression at WP that will enable you to be able to step it up to this level safely and therefore it is a waste.. WP will lose more business because of it than they gain, simple economics..
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cookieMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    all of that looks pretty cake if you simply ride it at trail speed. i didn't see anything that looked remotely dangerous...
    Agreed. I didn't see anything that looked all that technical, just fairly big. Big does not necessarily mean difficult -- you just have to approach it with confidence and trust the skills that you probably have if you're even thinking about hitting it in the first place.

    Everything there looked extremely polished and well-built. If somebody messed up on that trail, it would be because they were not mentally ready. Boo-hoo. Nobody's forcing anybody to ride it. Kudos to a resort that doesn't just cater to beginners.

    Edit: after watching it a second time, I don't even think those hits were that big. I'm past my prime and would still do that. Why is this even a discussion? If you ask me, riding FAST down a typical dh course is far more dangerous and requires more skill. That there just looks like a heap of FUN!

  21. #21
    Yay! Bikes !
    Reputation: Nick.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,635
    don't trust the perspective of the video.

    I've seen it all in person and it's fvcking big. BIG. Not small.
    I think more and more people will ride it and get it dialed this year, but I don't think there will be any 'minor' accidents on that trail.
    Nick.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    53
    Saw an expert/pro rider break his collarbone on "Banana Peel." But, I've seen riders break sh*t on intermediate single track as well.

    Talking about the cost to build something like "Banana Peel"...the trail crew at Northstar get free wood from the Tough-Mudder events they host on the mountain. Tough-Mudder bring in loads of material to build their obstacles, then they just hand it over to Northstar to use!

    I would try some of the stunts on "Banana Peel" only if I was towed-in by someone who has it dialed already. Just like the big-baller features at Black-Rock in Oregon...I waited around to find a local shredder to give me beta and tow me in to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Riding groups in South Simcoe or Peel Region
    By Kbarrette in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
  3. Orange Peel vs Smooth reflector - worth to upgrade?
    By Ausable in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
  4. Peel me off this velcro seat...
    By baker in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •