mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Travel bag or box recomendations

Been looking for a travel bag or box for my downhill bike (currently a medium Jedi). I would like to be able to leave the fork on the frame and not have to compress the fork. I am guessing I will have to remove wheels, handlebars, seat, pedals and maybe derailleur. Any recommendations?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Had a Thule hard case, changed to the lighter original Evoc, changed to the Evoc Pro and very happy with it. The best I've had, but I'm not not sure it will fit the wheelbase of my new DH bike.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/evoc-b...d--review.html

I don't have the new stand mentioned in this review though.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Glad to Be Alive
    been using the regular Evoc for the last 4 years on a large 27.5 bike...Love it...the pro looks really nice...whichever is cheaper I would buy....but the pro looks better

but that extra 3 to 4 pounds for the pro, might cost you a lot more in airline travel
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had the EVOC standard for about 3 years. It fits my Large 27.5 Jedi just fine, and I've been able to load up all of my gear in with the bike, although it does add to the weight very quickly.

Most of the airlines have wight restrictions, even for bike bags that you're already paying extra for. So you'll have to pay attention to weight pretty steadily. The hard shell cases weigh significantly more, and for the large DH bikes, you typically have to remove a lot of parts, fork included.

Pivotal figure
    Another vote for EVOC. We have some friends who come over from Finland every year and they all use those bags, very well thought out design and surprisingly durable for a soft case.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Evoc.

Look on ebay or geartrader.com. I googled evoc and found one on geartrader.com for $325+ free shipping. It ends up that the seller was "backcountry.com". This may have been a display model or something, but the only sign of not being brand new was the wheels had been rolled around and the skid plates weren't fresh-out-of-the-box. It fit my medium Devinci Wilson 27.5 no problem. Remove the wheels, bar, pedals and (for saftey) the derailleur.

The top tube and down tube have a padded wrap that goes around them. The bar gets velcro'd to the back. The fork (leave the axle in) gets secured to the bag. The chainstays have 2 straps to secure it and the seatpost has 3 adjustable places to get secured. The wheels go on the outside and get zipped in towards the back where the casters are. There's 8 bars that go into the bag to help it keep its structure and are removable to roll it up for storage. The bag is padded also. A buddy had a similar one but from crc I believe. He said it was less expensive, but he'd rather the Evoc cause of the wider wheel base and better packaging.

It has 2 pockets inside and one on the outside. It's got 7-8 handles outside too so rolling and lifting it aren't an issue.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like I will have to compress the fork, so glad to hear.

mtbr member
    EVOC with the bike stand option. This is a small Insurgent.
    Travel bag or box recomendations-2017-05-08_09-25-10.jpg
    Travel bag or box recomendations-2017-05-08_09-24-46.jpg

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    EVOC with the bike stand option. This is a small Insurgent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-08_09-25-10.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1136132
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-08_09-24-46.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	1136133
    that's pretty sweet with the bike stand....seems it would be a little quicker...how does it attache to bag
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    that's pretty sweet with the bike stand....seems it would be a little quicker...how does it attache to bag
    The bike stand doesn't attach to the bag itself. What you do is put the stand (with the bike already on it) into the bag- it's a snug fit. There are two chainstay straps that are built into the bottom of the bag-these loop around the stays and clip on the other side effectively attaching the bike stand to the bottom of the bag. The forks are held in place by straps also which keeps the front end of the stand in place. There are also additional straps that hold the seatpost and handlebar to the sides of the bag...

Here is a picture of a bike that I was shipping today without the bike stand. It shows the location of the straps and how the straps work.
    There is normally a foam block that the bottom bracket sits on but since I had to ship a box with a battery charger along with the bike, I just used that as the bottom bracket rest.
    Travel bag or box recomendations-2017-05-08_22-34-18.jpg

Glad to Be Alive
    The bike stand doesn't attach to the bag itself. What you do is put the stand (with the bike already on it) into the bag- it's a snug fit. There are two chainstay straps that are built into the bottom of the bag-these loop around the stays and clip on the other side effectively attaching the bike stand to the bottom of the bag. The forks are held in place by straps also which keeps the front end of the stand in place. There are also additional straps that hold the seatpost and handlebar to the sides of the bag...

Here is a picture of a bike that I was shipping today without the bike stand. It shows the location of the straps and how the straps work.
    There is normally a foam block that the bottom bracket sits on but since I had to ship a box with a battery charger along with the bike, I just used that as the bottom bracket ]
    seems easier....but the original is great plus fast too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    seems easier....but the original is great plus fast too
    I like the bike stand because it's easier to put the handlebar on without having to stand the bike against a wall to keep it upright (while the wheels are still off). It keeps the derailleur, chain and chainring off the floor while you're assembling and disassembling the bike as well. It's the little things.

Glad to Be Alive
    I like the bike stand because it's easier to put the handlebar on without having to stand the bike against a wall to keep it upright (while the wheels are still off). It keeps the derailleur, chain and chainring off the floor while you're assembling and disassembling the bike as well. It's the little things.
    yep, I agree totally....you need a little more space to see everything and align stuff up...it works but you have the ideal bag...

mtbr member
    Products | Pika Packworks

I love mine. The 29er size fits my DH bike great.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Evoc is good, but you are kind of screwed with a DH bike, with my 29-30lb Enduro bike, the complete bike in the box comes out to around 49lbs with little margin. If you go above 50, many airlines charge an ADDITIONAL fee, in addition to the oversize fee already levied. So with a DH bike, you are kind of screwed. This usually applies to domestic flying more than international. The other shitty part is that now most of the airline personnel now know what an Evoc bike bag is, so they are more consistent in charging you just because it's a bike (as opposed to golf clubs and skis that go free).

But for a riding vacation, it makes a lot more sense to bring an AM/Enduro bike IMO, enjoy that on the self-powered rides, and rent a DH bike for the park riding. Then you can get insurance and enjoy the riding as it was meant to be without much of a care for the bike. And when you add up the fees to get the DH bike through (as opposed to the AM) the airlines, with the risk of damage and everything else, it just makes more sense IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The Airlines charge $150 for a bike bag up to 75lbs, not 50lbs. Over 75lbs and I think it shoots up to $400.

Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    The Airlines charge $150 for a bike bag up to 75lbs, not 50lbs. Over 75lbs and I think it shoots up to $400.

Fahn
    Different airlines have different rules and weight limits. Delta is 50 lbs on a bike bag that you're already paying $150 for. Southwest allows up to 100 lbs and the bike bag is only $50 if it's your first checked bag.

mtbr member
    Last year we flew from Newark to Vancouver both ways on Delta and paid $150 each way. My evoc with my Devinci Wilson (42 lbs) weighed in at 60 something and all 6 of us paid $150 each way.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Since we went to Whistler, I'll explain why I/we brought our bikes with us when we were there.

We checked the cost of flying the bike and knew it was $300 RT.

A lot of people have this thing about how awesome it is to demo a different bike each day! It's not that easy or fun. You have to reserve a bike a couple of days in advance. Your first several runs you'll be adjusting and tuning it to your liking. Why? Your bike is already to your liking?

I rented one day to ride the trails. It was a Giant Reign. I never HATED a bike so much in my life. I walked half of Kill me Thrill me. It's not that Giant sucks. It's that they suck for me. If I rented a Glory and hated it, that would be $200 US dollars wasted (lift ticket price thrown in there). Insurance would be extra too. Going the cheapest route you're in say, $130 for the bike and $20 for insurance each day for 5 days of riding. $300<$750. The Evoc cost $400 or how much, but I can now bring my bike wherever I go.

Preference. I love my Hope V4 brakes. Renting though I'd have to use Avid or Shimano. I'd also be riding on used, worn down tires. Sram shifters instead of Shimano. Continental tires instead of....

Rent for that day that you're not using your primary bike for its intent. Whistler - Wilson, Moab- Spartan. I can rent for a day, but why the whole trip?

Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Elitest thrill junkie

Fahn
    No.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie

I rented one day to ride the trails. It was a Giant Reign.
    Never rent a not-DH bike to go DHing. It's a bit challenging because some of the resort bikes can be blown out and they can't accommodate super heavy or super light riders, they often have no ability to tune the suspension (which means they are giving you something they know won't work), but if you are reasonably within the weight realm, usually renting a demo or top-level DH bike is worth it, especially because at the demo level they'll often let you come down and switch the bike out for another demo, which I've done at Trestle more than once, also after I've screwed up said bike. So yeah, it's a bit tricky to make it work, but there are advantages to going both ways (bringing your own vs. renting). Renting is expensive, but hell, I'm on vacation and want to make the most out of it.

mtbr member
    I didn't rent a "not DH bike to go dhing" or whatever you wrote. Kill me Thrill me is by no means a DH course.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Ummm. Yeah...

United out. Delta back! 2 different airlines. Same price!

Travel bag or box recomendations-screenshot_2017-05-16-11-07-58.jpg
    Travel bag or box recomendations-screenshot_2017-05-16-11-24-22.jpgTravel bag or box recomendations-screenshot_2017-05-16-11-22-25.jpg
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Facts, facts, facts.....

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...a+air+bike+fee

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx

"United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply."

As per Delta-

Bicycle Transport Fees / Packaging Information
    150 USD/CAD for travel to all regions (excluding Brazil, Europe, and North Africa)
    150 USD, 175 CAD*, or 125 EUR* for travel to/from Europe or North Africa
    75 USD for travel to/from Brazil
    *CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hear the thoughts about renting vs bringing my own. I'm going to need it long enough that it makes sense to me. The thoughts about getting used to a different bike is also valid. Its a personal preference and I am aware of the costs of each route. I thought about shipping to a local UPS or Fedex store but, then it comes down to convenience.

I will add that sometimes the airlines mess up in charging for baggage, in the passengers favor. Not often but, it happens. Thanks for all the thoughts, I like the EVOC. I haven't seen much of a price difference in used vs new. I guess the used normally has some "bargaining" room to it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are, thankfully, more airlines than delta and united. Additionally, with mileage programs (like the airline credit card) you can often get benifits like no normal luggage charges up to 2 items, so you save a bit there. When I signed up for deltas (no CC, just FF program), on the spot, they waived all my luggage fees as an incentive, including the bike bag, and that was more than a year ago and I won't fly delta ever again due to the crazy steep bike charges, but Alaska has been much more reasonable, so I've flown with them many times over.