Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Transition TR450, what's the scoop?

Looking at frames to upgrade from my 7Point in about a year and the 450 really has my attention. I have been riding the 7point since '09 and it's taught me a lot and been fine but I got it mostly due to the cheap price. As I've learned more and ridden more as well I realize that freeride isn't exactly my bag, I'm more into going fast on steep, chunky terrain. I am interested in this because it has adjustable geometry so I can set it to the steep setting (64.5) for the local stuff that isn't really steep an has some switchbacks and then lay it down (63.5) for the lift assist days at Snowshoe. I'm not really looking to race so getting a dedicated full race rig that's super slack doesn't appeal to me and would be a bear on the local stuff. The 450's been out for a little while now, what's the word on it? What are the pros and cons? Any other frames in that price range that fit the bill? I like the Nukeproof but I haven't read much about it, it's a bit cheaper than the Transition but has a fixed geo, granted it is only 64 so it's not super slack. I've got a while to gather info but it's never too soon to start researching.

Edit: Apparently I was mistaken, the Nukeproof HA is 63, may be a bit too slack for my needs.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dont have any experience on the TR450 or the Nukeproof, so I cant help you there. But dont turn the Nukeproof down because the HA is too slack. Keep in mind there are options for angle adjusting headsets, so you could steepen the Nukeproof up a bit if it is too slack for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    either is good, if price is the issue, take the nukeproof.

You cant honestly go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Its a very well built, good geometry, progressive low single pivot. It'll be balanced, super comfortable, and intuitive to ride. It'll pop well off jumps and pedal reasonably well with the right compression settings. All and all, fantastic bike.

It'll lose a little bit in the straight lining chunder compared to some other bikes, and it wont pedal as well or be as light. Mind you, it wont suck at straight lining chunder - it'll be way better then what you have, and it will be hard to imagine anything better. Just, compared to something like a v10 or m9, it simply wont gobble bumps as well

Think of it along the lines of a pre -dw DHR or el cuervo, but with better geometry.

It should be a real solid bike, go for it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback so far, sounds like a good choice. Keep the reviews coming.

Regarding the Nukeproof HA, I'm not totally onboard with the angleset as of yet, many mixed reviews and seems like it'd be a pain to try different settings since. Do you have to press in new cups each time or is it easier to change than that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have had no real problems with my Cane Creek Angleset in my 951. Tension issues, and popping at first, but a "headlock" solved that easily enough. For the Cane Creek, different angles means different cups, but I believe K9 Industries makes one that is more "on the fly" adjustability wise.

mtbr member
    Also, don't know much about the Fox DHX RC4 it comes with. I upgraded my 7point shock with a Rocco WC and love it but it won't transfer to the 450, hoping the Fox is a good shock. Read the reviews on it here and it's sounding like a good shock so far.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-03-2012 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Its one of the best. However, like any really nice top quality shock, its got really a lot of adjustment so that it will feel really good with every frame and rider size/speed. This means, its got a ton of potential to feel really really really fuggin good, and its got even more potential to feel really really sh1tty because you set it up poorly. Transition has a pretty big rider base though, and the guys are solid riders, finding the right setting should be pretty straightforward and easy with them. I say you go for it!

(and this is from somebody who does not own one, nor has he ever owned a transition even).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Might want to consider bikes with similar DW suspension.

Trek session or the Devinci Wilson

mtbr member
    ping me an email --- info@pedalshop.com

you're not too very far from us --- you can check out a Tr250 in person ----- no 450's built up right now.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    Might want to consider bikes with similar DW suspension.

Trek session or the Devinci Wilson
    you just listed two bikes that don't have dw suspension. DW link is not the same as split pivot

mtbr member
    Also, I can't afford the new frames that have the DW link. $2500 is about my limit. Thanks for the feedback guys. Feeling better about the Transition (not that I was iffy really, just wanted some user experience).

@Pedalshop, I've seen some 250's at Snowshoe and they look sexy. I'm about 5'7", what size do you recommend? I like the way my small 7point fits but it seems a bit longer up front than most other small frames I've sat on so maybe a medium would fit better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Also, I can't afford the new frames that have the DW link. $2500 is about my limit. Thanks for the feedback guys. Feeling better about the Transition (not that I was iffy really, just wanted some user experience).

@Pedalshop, I've seen some 250's at Snowshoe and they look sexy. I'm about 5'7", what size do you recommend? I like the way my small 7point fits but it seems a bit longer up front than most other small frames I've sat on so maybe a medium would fit better?

yeah --- per the TBC fit specs, you at 5' 7", you're a tweener (in between the two sizes). FYI: l would rock the LARGE but l'm 6' feet even, 32" inseam. The large fits me great.

Specs -- did you compare these to your 7Point?
    http://transitionbikes.com/Bikes_TR450.cfm?Token={ts_2012-03-04_06:43:34}-68003546

Can't check availability right now (dealer site is down) but since you're local, l can say we can do the 2011's at 17% off msrp. email me for your 2012 price.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a medium might be the ticket then. Unfortunately I am not in a position to buy it yet (or soon), just trying to get some input as I don't wanna rush a decision like buying a $2000+ frame. I wouldn't be able to do it until at least next year with my tax return and to be honest I am waiting to see what a friend of mine can do. He moved to CA a few years back and opened a bike shop that sells Transitions, if the price is fair after shipping I'd like to give him my business, hope you understand. If that doesn't happen then you guys are next in line. Do PM me if you should happen to get a 450 in there 'cause I'd like to see one still. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Noticed a couple errors on my part, the 450 HA range is 63/63.5/64 so I was off by +.5. Also all this time I've been thinking my bike had a HA of 65.5 and it's actually 66.7. The '11 Giant Glory has a nice HA for my local stuff at 65.5 but the way the downtube flares out at the head tube really hinders the turning a lot (my brother has one that I've put some time on). I don't think 64 would be a deal breaker but just wanted to correct my errors. Aside from the turning radius I do like the way the Giant rides, if only they put dimples where the stanchion hits it...

RideDirt
    The transitions GEO looks right in all places , if i ever build a DH rig man i think thats the one i would go with. It just looks like it will shred anything and rip thru whatever you want it to , but the v10 and m9 are bests too ! GL on your pick and hopefully you can get the ball rolling sooner.

mtbr member
    Thanks, pretty well decided at this point, now to pick the color...I like the yellow but I don't really think my red Outlaw wheels will look great with yellow, too McDonaldsy. Probably go with black, should look pretty good. The ball will not be early on this one as I still need to get dual crown forks before anything. I'm hoping my local bike shop friend will be able to give me a killer deal on a set of 888 RC3's, if I can get them sometime this year then I'll be able to get the frame with my tax return next year. I'm patient so it's not a big deal, until then I'll keep shredding on the 7Point.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Sounds like a medium might be the ticket then. Unfortunately I am not in a position to buy it yet (or soon), just trying to get some input as I don't wanna rush a decision like buying a $2000+ frame. I wouldn't be able to do it until at least next year with my tax return and to be honest I am waiting to see what a frequent of mine can do. He moved to CA a few years back and opened a bike shop that sells Transitions, if the price is fair after shipping I'd like to give him my business, hope you understand. If that doesn't happen then you guys are next in line. Do PM me if you should happen to get a 450 in there 'cause I'd like to see one still. Thanks for your help.

Correct me if l'm wrong --- you wrote" I wouldn't be able to do it until at least next year with my tax return" do you mean not gonna buy anything until 2013? man, if that's the case, that's some serious long term planning.

mtbr member
    Yup, that's correct. Just laying the ground work. You don't wanna rush something like a DH frame purchase. I've just been eye-raping new frames a little prematurely and now my thought process is consumed. If nothing else maybe by then I'll be able to get 17% off the 2012's? Hopefully I'll have the fork within a few months and can begin putting money aside for the frame after that. I generally get about 2G back on my return so that will be the final push to getting it.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I were you I would not buy any shock/fork right now, I would save money til you are closer to buying all parts, I would bet you over the next 12 months you will find better deals and or items that were once before out of your price range, are now within...

Poor example but maybe the new can creek DB-air is in the wish list, you buy it in a few months but at inter bike RS and Fox come out with new air shocks that out perform it significantly at a very similar price. Its doubtful but this could be very much the case.

Maybe one way to look at it is how long has this part been out unchanged etc, look into the upgrade pattern of the company to know if they are sticking with that part for a long time or changing soon, it seems like things transition in technology quite a bit every 2 years. Small incremental changes happen often but over a two year period there is a noticeable difference.

We can't look into the future but with your preplanning this far ahead, I would save money and purchase most parts around build time.

Just my two cents.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    The TR450 is a killer bike. It is fairly stiff, very, very nimble feels like a 6" bike. Will switch lines when your eyes point. Of the bikes we tested it is one of the best. I would for sure suggest one.

mtbr member
    Not gonna buy a shock and I plan on putting the new fork on my 7point for this season. I am looking at getting a hell of a hookup so the price will likely be unbeatable. Plus in my opinion if the current stuff is workin well for top riders then its not gonna hold me back next year by any means. I'm not gonna be racing or anything, just ride for fun so I doubt anything is gonna happen that is that significant of an improvement that I won't be able to live without it. Plus most everything else that's on my bike now will be switched over, all I'll need is the forks which I'll have by then, and a headset and possibly a seatpost. Everything else I have has been upgraded from the stock parts (ie: wheels, brakes, cranks...) so it should be fine.
    Last edited by Johnny No.5; 03-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.

RideDirt
    can i get a hookup? lol

mtbr member
    yeah uh, probably not but I'll be sure to gloat.

mtbr member
    normal par for TBC... they sell out long before you see any smokin' hot deals so you'd have to hunt down an LBS that's stuck with a frame they couldn't unload. l have been selling TBC's for at least 10 years now... this is often the case (them running out of old inventory before seeing any ubber sale price). The same is true for Fox products --- they often sell out long before the next year's model comes out. once in a blue moon l'll run into deals on Rock Shox products but right now --- l can't get my hand on anything 2011 here just a few days into March. (a guess) with the economy still very hit-or-miss, l'm willing to bet these companies are being very careful not to over stock their product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast