mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Transition TR 250 or Canfield The One?

I am thinking about retiring my 04 SantaCruz Bullit. The two bikes I am looking at are the Transition TR 250, or the Canfield. I have ridden the Transition a few runs at Whistler as well as on local trails and really like it. It is heads and shoulders better than my bullit in bike parks. It is more playful, faster and feels much more secure in the air as well as in the steep descents. The Canfield is an unknown quantity. I will be using as many parts off my Santa Cruz as possible. Many more parts transfer on the Canfield( cranks and wheels) so it will be cheaper overall. I also have a Tallboy as my cross-country bike so I really do not need another "trail" bike but the Canfield is more user friendly as it will climb and I can use at local bike parks (Duthie Hill)and perhaps as an enduro ride too. Anybody ridden both?

Canfield Brothers
    Potterymouth - We are up in Bellingham now... come on up and take a The One out for a ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, that was actually a thought that I had when I discovered that you guys moved out this way. When I get closer to pulling the trigger I will give you a call, thanks

perpetual pucker factor
    Just throwing in my two cents. Canfield all the way. Most versatile and fun bike I've ever been on. The transition is a great bike, but it will never pedal or feel as bottomless as the One. It is incredible.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I echo the Canfield. It's a pretty rad bike. My buddy go injured and is selling his to fund a sick Jedi build. It's a large if you're interested and pretty rad.

His ID on pinkbike is BlackOhio

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    another thing to bear in mind not sure if this will influence your decision or not,,, but i heard whispers last week when i was in whistler that trasition are discontinuing the tr250 from next year as it hasnt sold as well as they hoped, this could effect spare parts in the long run if you were to keep the bike for a long time,,, though i here great things about the back up and aftersales from trasition...
    canfield have a solid reputaion to and there aftersales are amazing to, if you want a nice fun playable bike that pedals great to then look no further than theone, take vin up on his offer throw a leg over one and take it for a pedal, then you will know forusre which bike ticks your boxes...

mtbr member
    Canfield The One, +1. Only have a few rides on mine, but love it. pedals as well as my SC nomad, and descends way better. I don't feel beat up after a day at Northstar anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like the Canfield is well loved. Now I need to sell off some things to fund this project, starting with my vintage MXer, that has sat, unridden, the last two years . Really looking at this being a winter project. It is interesting that "whispers" are that the TR 250 may be going away. I did notice that it was absent from the Transition booth at the last big demo in Seattle in June . Also I was told that the Norco Truax is being dropped at the same demo Not that it mattes really, but the SC booth did not have any Nomads to demo either. Seems like the long travel single crown fork bikes are going away.

mtbr member
    I have ridden single pivot bikes prior to my Canfields, and it's really not comparable. The One's suspension is in a class of it's own. Unless the TR250 is at a steep discount to justify, if you have the funds for The One, you're going to be set for a very long time. I know there are a lot of frames that claim to do it all, but The One truly will be a long term investment. Set it up short travel for XC, long travel with a dual crown, and anywhere in between. There are so many possibilities with different shock stroke. And to sound like a broken record that you may read a lot, The One pedals amazing. A bike with this much travel pedaling like a XC bike is absurd. The One for 2013 has been sorted out to be more oriented towards the AM/Enduro spectrum with the slightly taller BB, so if you aren't going to explore it for pure DH, then the '13 has been perfected for everything else. You should take up the offer to test one out first, that'll most-likely seal the deal

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's my plan. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am looking at Canfield myself. I will mostly use it for DH stuff. I like the idea of being able to pedal a portion of the trails. I have a Bullit now and walk 99% of the way. Not taking anything from the Bullit. I do love mine. But here is my question. How does it do as a 98% DH bike? We shuttle almost every trail we go to or use the lift. Plan on dual crown and full 8" setup. I do take my 11 year old boy out and pedal in the hills behind our house. How tuff is it. I am 6'2" and 230lbs and need burly equipment. Me and the bike with gear is close to 3 bills coming down the trail. While I am not hucking drops at the rampage course. I am doing drops and gaps just not huge.The fun stuff. Will this hold together for the years to come? I ride minimum 2x per week. Also want to try and race this winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bert vega View Post
    I am looking at Canfield myself. I will mostly use it for DH stuff. I like the idea of being able to pedal a portion of the trails. I have a Bullit now and walk 99% of the way. Not taking anything from the Bullit. I do love mine. But here is my question. How does it do as a 98% DH bike? We shuttle almost every trail we go to or use the lift. Plan on dual crown and full 8" setup. I do take my 11 year old boy out and pedal in the hills behind our house. How tuff is it. I am 6'2" and 230lbs and need burly equipment. Me and the bike with gear is close to 3 bills coming down the trail. While I am not hucking drops at the rampage course. I am doing drops and gaps just not huge.The fun stuff. Will this hold together for the years to come? I ride minimum 2x per week. Also want to try and race this winter.
    There are a lot of One owners using it as a DH bike. Check out the Canfield forum on The One builds. I believe the Brothers have raced their Ones in a DH config too. The bike is advertised to be used this way as well, so it's not like running it with a dual crown is not recommended which is quite unique compared to other frames.

The bike is built stout. The bearings are huge. Don't think I have seen or read of anyone destroying any of the Ones so far. I think it would take a lot of abuse to damage it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    There are a lot of One owners using it as a DH bike. Check out the Canfield forum on The One builds. I believe the Brothers have raced their Ones in a DH config too. The bike is advertised to be used this way as well, so it's not like running it with a dual crown is not recommended which is quite unique compared to other frames.

The bike is built stout. The bearings are huge. Don't think I have seen or read of anyone destroying any of the Ones so far. I think it would take a lot of abuse to damage it.
    Thanks for that. The idea of 8" travel and can still pedal is awesome! Which is why I am leaning towards "The One". Also cause I am dirt poor and can't afford two bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by potterymouth View Post
    Looks like the Canfield is well loved. Now I need to sell off some things to fund this project, starting with my vintage MXer, that has sat, unridden, the last two years . Really looking at this being a winter project. It is interesting that "whispers" are that the TR 250 may be going away. I did notice that it was absent from the Transition booth at the last big demo in Seattle in June . Also I was told that the Norco Truax is being dropped at the same demo Not that it mattes really, but the SC booth did not have any Nomads to demo either. Seems like the long travel single crown fork bikes are going away.
    this is an ongoing debate over in the knolly forum at the mo,,, i wanted a do it all 7" bike, and was hoping for a knolly delirium, but there isnt gouing to be one as the market is changing, most of the bikes in that catagory now are aimed at the all mountain/ enduro market, this could explain why there seems to be a current lack of 7" specific free ride bikes. which in my opinion is a real shame as thats exactly what i was wanting from my mtb, i was all set to pull the trigger on a 2013 theone, but i got offerd a killer deal with knolly that was too good to pass up. so i ended up goin for 3 bikes lol. endorphin for trail/xc rides, a podium for down hill/ park rides. and a chilcotin for my brother, for trail/am/xc rides.
    i do hope the brothers continue to make theone, as it could be on the cards as my next bike,

Huffy Rider
    My Canfield is set up strictly for DH with a Totem, it gets ridden quite a lot. You will love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    My Canfield is set up strictly for DH with a Totem, it gets ridden quite a lot. You will love it.
    Thanks again. Is there anyone who doesn't like the One? I can't find a negative review. I think that says a lot!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by bert vega View Post
    Thanks again. Is there anyone who doesn't like the One? I can't find a negative review. I think that says a lot!
    sure I don't like the One, I don't have funds for one, so me no like :P Actually, on paper I like it a lot and some friends have one and really like that bike....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    I have ridden single pivot bikes prior to my Canfields, and it's really not comparable. The One's suspension is in a class of it's own. Unless the TR250 is at a steep discount to justify, if you have the funds for The One, you're going to be set for a very long time. I know there are a lot of frames that claim to do it all, but The One truly will be a long term investment. Set it up short travel for XC, long travel with a dual crown, and anywhere in between. There are so many possibilities with different shock stroke. And to sound like a broken record that you may read a lot, The One pedals amazing. A bike with this much travel pedaling like a XC bike is absurd. The One for 2013 has been sorted out to be more oriented towards the AM/Enduro spectrum with the slightly taller BB, so if you aren't going to explore it for pure DH, then the '13 has been perfected for everything else. You should take up the offer to test one out first, that'll most-likely seal the deal
    very true....I rode it as a 28 pound xc bikeand it pedaled easy and rode smooth...then rode as a 34 pound "DH" bike and was really impressed that it still pedaled so well
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Another thing to consider is bottom bracket and rear hub size. TR250 is 83/150. The One is 73/135 or 142. I like the 73/135 or 142 personally (love having dh wheels that are compatible with my trail bike). YMMV however.

They are both awesome companies for sure. Both have had my back in the past (I have owned a Jedi and two Blindsides over the years). Sean and Chris at Canfield have been incredibly helpful to me over the years, and Metzger and more recently Lars at Transition have been very helpful with my Blindsides.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Consider build specs (if you have spare parts for one or the other lying around that might make a difference in overall price.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I wouldn't be worried about spare parts for the TR250 if it was to go away. Lots of interchangeable parts. They are switched on with their after sale support - they aren't going to sell you a bike that you can't service later on down the track. They still sell Dirtbag bearings!

mtbr member
    My god I wish I had these problems!

Any ideas about TheOne going 275?

I, too, lament the lack of 7" travel bikes but it seems like the 160mm bikes are getting way more varied in design from company to company. Lightweight 6" almost xc-pedally all the way to 6"+ coil spring, 64 degree headtube party bikes.

Enjoy the new whip, whatever you get.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    FYI

Riding dirt since 1970
    I'm loving my One. My Nomad C frame is now for sale
    Med. Nomad C for sale