mtbr member
    Dec 2006

totem question (x-post from suspension forum)

i just got a (barely used) 2011. Totem rc2 dh coil for my Blindside. im a little confused... most of the reviews Ive read before I bought it said that the totem is quite a linear fork, and many middleweight riders who at first had the med spring then got a firm, because the recommended spring was still soft. I weigh 215-220 geared up. On its first ride, i put in the firm spring with 2 preload spacers and it felt really firm ( even tho rockshox recommends extra firm for my weight).
    Next ride, 1 preload spacer, felt a little better but still too harsh; and then today with 0 preload spacers (and both compr adjustments full open)it felt almost right, but still kinda firm on smaller stuff but felt good on some big chunk. Sag seems right, about 30% when I kinda lean over the front. I cant believe i should go down to the med spring at my weight; has anyone else here at my weiight gone down to the med spring on recent totems? Im guessing the "too-soft" reviews were for earlier ones which were different? (BTW yes the right amount of oil is in there). Is the newer totem just a firm-feeling fork except on big chunk/drops, and ill just have to get used to it?
    For refernce my old fork was a domain 180 with a firm spring, which felt pretty good. One thing i didnt liek about it was the hi-speed compression was internally preset, IMO too hard; it was very harsh when I hit a fast or square-edged thing. i know some have removed the main shim in the speedstack to open up that circuit; i opted for lowering the oil weight (I made a custom 4.5 w by sucking out a fifth of the oil and replacing that with 2.5w) and that did the trick.. Im thinking about doing that same thing with the totem to soften it up just a tad, and i can still crank up the hi-sp compr for the bigger hits. Has anyone else experimented with differnt oil weights in their totems? any info/feedback would be appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 07-07-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? There is a lot of confusion with spring rates and colors. I believe yellow is standard, red is firm, blue is extra firm? I'm 190 w/ gear and run red for most stuff but sometimes will go with the yellow spring if I want more plushness. I also will use 10 or 15 w oil in the compression side with the lighter spring to firm it up on bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oh crap did i forget to put that in tehre? I weigh #220 geared up. they switched spring colors in 09 or 10, currently yellow is soft, red is med, blue is firm.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 and when I bought extra springs they were just changing them and some distributors had the old colors and some new. I have two yellows that are visibly different in diameter and feel totally different. I have a blue spring that I can hardly compress at all. At 220, I would imagine you are a firm. I just had a mod done on mine by Garageworks Suspension where they stick elastomers in the bottom of the spring to firm up the end of the stroke. Post 15
    Improving Mid Stoke on a Totem