• 09-06-2012
    ron m.
    No way, bro! You're just saying that now but I know you'll be back... you're just too good. Sucks getting injured, but you'll heal and you're gonna be itching to ride your bike again. I can bike-sit for you in the meantime. =)
  • 09-06-2012
    craigstr
    GLC drop get ya?
  • 09-06-2012
    ustemuf
    thanks for the healing vibes all... it's not me so much that wants to give it up, it's convincing my wife to allow me to do these crazy things... right now she is having none of it.

the official mri results:
    Quote:

"Joint effusion posterior soft tissue T2 signal abnormality seen.

There is full-thickness tear of the MCL and PCL. There is partial
    tear or sprain of the proximal fibular collateral ligament. Bone
    marrow edema is seen.

Possible tear of the root of the medial meniscus."
    i'm in a hinged knee brace now and on crutches for the next 4 weeks.. at the end of this month I have another ortho appointment to determine if my PCL is able to heal itself or not.. otherwise i get the knife. not really happy about the fact that i have to wait a month to see if surgery is needed, but i would much rather rehab my knee without it if possible. anyone have advice/experience with this?

on the bright side of things i'm really happy my ACL is not blown up amongst all the damage...

i crashed on the last jump in the joyride park. i didn't get enough air and i landed a whip (silly me, of course i try to throw an oppo whip too) sideways.. when i landed it snapped back and started to highside me... when it snapped back i put my foot down to try and plant and prevent the explosion - and i literally watched my knee/leg give out and heard the pop.. i wish i had the rewind button.. i would have rather gone otb and taken my chances now...or even smarter, just straight air'd it on my way back to the lodge and save it for the next day.. ****.

funny thing is, i crashed on wednesday... friday was the last day of my trip. i said **** it, bought a mueller brace from the village pharmacy, sac'd up and rode Top of the World with my buddies. after a couple minutes warm up i was able to get full pedal strokes in, and managed to ride the whole trail without any pain and still shredded just as hard as usual. i didn't want to push my luck and crash on an already trashed knee so i called it a day.. i'm wondering if that'll be the last ride i ever went on.. *tears*

it's going to be a long time before i can get into downhill again, honestly i don't know if i'll ever be back. i know my wife wants me to have nothing to do with it, hopefully with time things will chill out and i'll be riding again.. probably focusing less on jumps and drops and more on DH speed.. who knows.. i just know the next half a year or more is going to majorly suck, but i'm going to do a good job on making sure i strengthen up my knee during the rehab process. i think my body heals pretty well, so i'm hoping i'll be back in less time... if possible!

i have the crash on go pro.. super depressing to crash on such a stupid small jump after shredding crabapple literally minutes before.. and thrashing the double blacks all day at mach 7.

for your viewing pleasure:
    Quote:

<object width='750' height='422'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/276277/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/276277/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='750' height='422' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/276277/'>Not-Joyride @ Whistler</a>
  • 09-06-2012
    kenbentit
    Def. do NOT get rid of your bikes!! I've had both ACL's replaced, 1st was in '96 and the 2nd was 1 year ago/ Surgery procedures are much better now and I was back doing real riding in under 3 months this time. I had my surgery on Aug 8th, 2011 and did a big ride called "Flight Of The Pigs" only 3 months later (it's held the day after Thanksgiving, approx. 75 miles with 50% on road and the rest on the rocky trails of South Mtn, PMP and Papago...). Just be focused on rehab and you'll be back before you know it.
  • 09-06-2012
    ustemuf
    i'm going to make an edit with a bunch of my friends and my footage... but here's just some small clips i had shredding just prior....

sigh

Quote:

<object width='750' height='422'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/275099/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/275099/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='750' height='422' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/275099/'>Whistler In Deep</a>
    right before crashing... attempted these suckers and nailed em.. was going to get some steeze goin on and photoshoot for the next day.. fail :cryin:

Quote:

<object width='750' height='422'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/275104/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/275104/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='750' height='422' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/275104/'>Whistler Crabapple Hits</a>
  • 09-06-2012
    kenbentit
    Man, you sound EXACTLY like me just before surgery! Wife was not happy with the injuries (I ruptured a kidney earlier that year and promptly imploded at Whistler as soon as I got back on the bike, then tore the ACL a month later). I've basically backed off on some of the higher risk stuff (bigger jumps, high speed tech sections) but that's it. Focusing more on having fun at the pumptrack, long rides, digging (secondary addiction) and mellow jumps.
  • 09-06-2012
    aedubber
    Your a great rider man and i feel your pain .. July 14th is when i messed myself up and now i can start going to the gym to do extremely light weights and also start my physical therapy ..

I had a R AC separation and 3 fractures on my Scapula .. I was lucky enough not to have to go under the knife for it but my right shoulder looks funny now since i had a type 3 separation .. Just ride a bit more laid back , remember its just a hobby for most of us :)
  • 09-07-2012
    Ronny Grady
    Don't let your wife rule your life.

You can't love anyone else unless you love yourself.

Ride on! :-)
  • 09-07-2012
    Nut!
    Dude you'll be back. Man up.
    That being said, +++healing vibes to you.
    PS what size demo? And how much xD
  • 09-07-2012
    aedubber
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nut! View Post
    dude you'll be back. Man up.
    That being said, +++healing vibes to you.
    Ps what size demo? And how much xd

lol
  • 09-07-2012
    Swell Guy
    Dude, between hitting CrabApple hits the way you did, InDeep while wet and the Joyride jumps the way you did, you have nothing to be ashamed of. That's some awesome riding. Get well soon and get back on the horse.

So sorry you had to crash on that last one. I know what it feels like when you do something so simple, but funk yourself up so bad. I crashed on the entry to the Boneyard really hard this year in a place I totally shouldn't have crashed on Day 3 of my Whistler trip. While I was banged up pretty bad and am still sore after a couple weeks, I luckily avoided major damage. Still mad at myself for crashing though.

Good luck on your recovery...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    thanks for the healing vibes all... it's not me so much that wants to give it up, it's convincing my wife to allow me to do these crazy things... right now she is having none of it.

i'm in a hinged knee brace now and on crutches for the next 4 weeks.. at the end of this month I have another ortho appointment to determine if my PCL is able to heal itself or not.. otherwise i get the knife. not really happy about the fact that i have to wait a month to see if surgery is needed, but i would much rather rehab my knee without it if possible. anyone have advice/experience with this?

on the bright side of things i'm really happy my ACL is not blown up amongst all the damage...

i crashed on the last jump in the joyride park. i didn't get enough air and i landed a whip (silly me, of course i try to throw an oppo whip too) sideways.. when i landed it snapped back and started to highside me... when it snapped back i put my foot down to try and plant and prevent the explosion - and i literally watched my knee/leg give out and heard the pop.. i wish i had the rewind button.. i would have rather gone otb and taken my chances now...or even smarter, just straight air'd it on my way back to the lodge and save it for the next day.. ****.

funny thing is, i crashed on wednesday... friday was the last day of my trip. i said **** it, bought a mueller brace from the village pharmacy, sac'd up and rode Top of the World with my buddies. after a couple minutes warm up i was able to get full pedal strokes in, and managed to ride the whole trail without any pain and still shredded just as hard as usual. i didn't want to push my luck and crash on an already trashed knee so i called it a day.. i'm wondering if that'll be the last ride i ever went on.. *tears*

it's going to be a long time before i can get into downhill again, honestly i don't know if i'll ever be back. i know my wife wants me to have nothing to do with it, hopefully with time things will chill out and i'll be riding again.. probably focusing less on jumps and drops and more on DH speed.. who knows.. i just know the next half a year or more is going to majorly suck, but i'm going to do a good job on making sure i strengthen up my knee during the rehab process. i think my body heals pretty well, so i'm hoping i'll be back in less time... if possible!

i have the crash on go pro.. super depressing to crash on such a stupid small jump after shredding crabapple literally minutes before.. and thrashing the double blacks all day at mach 7.

• 09-07-2012
    Scrub
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks for sharing your video of the crash, I know it sucks to go look back over and over and say all the "what ifs" but now is the time to heal up.

btw check your bars, it looks like they had some flex going on.
  • 09-07-2012
    Mo(n)arch
    Heal up quick. Don't sell your bike.
    And remember:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...02229074_n.jpg

:thumbsup:
  • 09-07-2012
    V.P.
    Healing wibes out man. I hope you get back into ripping again!
  • 09-07-2012
    Ltdan12a
    'tis but a flesh wound....

Do the PT, and get back on the bike!!!
  • 09-07-2012
    DHgnaR
    Quote:

...torn heart...

Quote:

goodbye downhill MTB :cryin::cryin:

Quote:

sigh. ...anyone want to buy a 2011 Demo?

Quote:

i'm wondering if that'll be the last ride i ever went on.. *tears*

Quote:

...sigh... :cryin:

Man the fvck up.
    But seriously, heal up, get back on the bike, and try to have fun.
  • 09-07-2012
    #Cyclelife
    OH....you will be back! Your a good rider and I think you know that. Heal up fast bro. Your bike is waiting for you.
  • 09-07-2012
    Live2rideUtah
    Get well soon and get back on the bike. I can imagine what's going through your head, I blew my lumbar out last week and still can't walk so I know the short term feeling of being off the bike in the best part of the year.
  • 09-07-2012
    Gman086
    Healing vibes ustemuf. Do NOT have surgery unless absolutely necessary - TRUST ME on this one. Even if it really looks bad on the MRI but isn't torn thru it will usually heal - may take up to seven years but it WILL heal (usually in two years). Surgery = pain/arthritis later. I have a frozen shoulder now as proof.

Keep the Faith!

G MAN
  • 09-08-2012
    MTB Pilot
    gracialow on Vimeo

GOOD stuff :thumbsup: Talks about his feelings on riding after his crash and friends that are "worse off."
  • 09-08-2012
    ryan_daugherty
    Sorry to hear that homie, I'm getting out of the hospital today. Going on on 4 days. At Ravens on the last drop I broke my collar bone, 1 rib, right scapula and collapsed a lung. this has been a tough season for my riding group. Gene had a class 3 shoulder separation and Dan broke his forearm and torn crap in his wrist. He is on his 2nd surgery. All the best dude and I hope you heal up well.
  • 09-09-2012
    Drth Vadr
    I never heard a pop, I actually stood up and pulled my bike out of the trees. Knee buckle trying mount, so I decide to try the other side. That knee buckled and I went rolling down the mountain. Everybody thought I was crazy for DH at my age (not that I'm old, it's just ppl think you should stop living past a curtain age.) let alone doing it after the crash, but it was all I could think about. I agonized over the "what ifs" considering that the crash was all me fault. I did would others have said, " sell the bike and build a new to motivate you". The was a mistake. I should have kept the bike, because I would not have had to spend cash I didn't have (because of time lost at work) to building another bike.
    Watch some vids to keep the passion alive. Stock up on a season worth of tires, make some upgrades, but do not sell. For one reason and probably the biggest, you won't have to explain, justify, rationalize, or argue with the wife about the purchase. You can spend that time showing her how you are going to be safer by wearing more PPG to prevent farther injury.
  • 09-09-2012
    Truckee Trash
    Quote:

I've torn both of my PCL's from riding - multiple consultations and never needed surgery - its incredibly rare that they operate. Both have scared / healed down and major PT and some good Don Joy braces have done the trick. Confidence - that takes a while. . . Start back on a trail bike and get your flow back! You can / should be able to be on a spin bike pretty quickly!
  • 09-09-2012
    MonsterD
    Daaaamn!!!! Get better man. If you need to sell your bike for bills so be it, but not because of the wife :D
    And you can hear your heart beating in the vids which I think is pretty sick
  • 09-10-2012
    hansum
    Man, I think everyone goes through this kind of thing at some stage, you are a great rider you need to ride. I dont think not riding is an option.