Proud lame eBiker

Tomac 204 Magnum rear shock?

A friend has a Tomac Magnum 204 that he'd love to upgrade the rear shock. It has the vanilla on there now, can he put a newer DHX or RS coil on there? I'm about 400 miles away from the bike so I can't check the clearances.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    A friend has a Tomac Magnum 204 that he'd love to upgrade the rear shock. It has the vanilla on there now, can he put a newer DHX or RS coil on there? I'm about 400 miles away from the bike so I can't check the clearances.
    This frame design has no clearance issues w/ ANY shock. The old Van RC is arguably one of the skinniest shock every made. But ppl have very effortlessly put in an Avy DHS, one of the fattest shock ever made.

Edit: I have this bike and was in a little cult w/ a Brit who ran an Avy on his. Considering how progressive that link makes the rear movement, that old Van is plenty sufficient of a damper. Just get it serviced and it'll do just fine. I recently got my mitts on a '11 Jedi that came w/ an Elka (samel i2i) so I'm going to put the Elka on the Tomac, and run a Woodie on the Jedi.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    This frame design has no clearance issues w/ ANY shock. The old Van RC is arguably one of the skinniest shock every made. But ppl have very effortlessly put in an Avy DHS, one of the fattest shock ever made.

Edit: I have this bike and was in a little cult w/ a Brit who ran an Avy on his. Considering how progressive that link makes the rear movement, that old Van is plenty sufficient of a damper. Just get it serviced and it'll do just fine. I recently got my mitts on a '11 Jedi that came w/ an Elka (samel i2i) so I'm going to put the Elka on the Tomac, and run a Woodie on the Jedi.

Thanks Pau11y. Looking at photo's I was just worried about the spring near the front of the shock looked like it gets pretty close to the frame.
    I told my buddy to send the shock to PUSH which he did, but was still looking for a used shock to have as a backup. Good to know the world is wide open for him with the newer shock.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Thanks Pau11y. Looking at photo's I was just worried about the spring near the front of the shock looked like it gets pretty close to the frame.
    I told my buddy to send the shock to PUSH which he did, but was still looking for a used shock to have as a backup. Good to know the world is wide open for him with the newer shock.
    Just tell him to look for another one of those old Van RC.. They can be had for less than $100, and often times, less than $50. Then send it to Push and have them do the MX tune...pfff...90% of an Avy on that frame! Of course, it's an almost decade old frame so... The point of depreciative returns pretty much left town w/ this 50lbs+ bike...5 years ago! HAHA!

I'm still looking for one of those old custom Hadley rear hubs made special for this frame...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮