mtbr member
    Aug 2008

TLD Lopes Knee/Shin Pad (whos got 'em, need opinions)

Who's rockin' the Troy Lee Designs knee/shin pads? What do you think of them? Would you buy them again? What do you like about them the most? The least?

Im trying to decide between the Lopes and the Race Face Zero knee/shin.

Post pics if you have any of you wearing them (trying to judge length).

Calm like a Bomb
    just bought them..they rock! they stay where they need to and they are comfortable and light

mtbr member
    positives - They are really comfortable. I don't even notice them on after a 2 hour ride.
    negatives - I have slightly larger legs so the top calf strap is pretty tight, but it still fits comfortably. I suppose they could have some more diverse sizing options.
    Pugsley, Bullit

CAB
    mtbr member
    Comfortable And stay in place better than others I've had. The straps are a bit tight on the top but are still ok.

Urban Ninja
    Coming from having Kyle Straight pads and switching to these I like these better. More protection and they feel better when pedaling. The downside is the hard shell scratches my frame sometimes when I turn because I steer with my knee's. I run the under pad most of the time then bring out the hard shell when running flats for shin protection or when riding big rock gardens. Get em. You'll love em.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, Im sold. lol Sounds good to me. If any of you guys have any pics, then post 'em up.

Im a skinnier guy, (155lbs), so I bet they'd fit me just fine!

Jackalope Hunter
    I had the Lopes and didn't like them. As other have said they pedal great and are very comfortable.... but.... The slip on knee gusset (or underpad or whatever you want to call it) is the only thing holding them up over your knee (no straps on top, the knee guards just velcro to the gusset, which is a separate piece) They slipped off my knees a couple times in crashes resulting in some pretty bad knee abrasions. FYI being skinny might make them even more prone to slipping. If they had some kind of strap on top they'd be way more secure... but maybe not quite as comfortable.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well as of now, Im just riding in Shin-only pads or nothing at all, so a bit of knee protection sounds good to me, I like the option of the pads alot! I think Im gonna get a set here soon!

mtbr member
    I've had my TLD Lopes for over a year. Love the weight and the component system, but they slide down in crashes and expose the knee. I went to some T.H.E. knee/shin combos and they are rock solid, comfortable enough and do not slide down in a crash. They are a little difficult to take off and the grey is ugly IMO. If I would quit falling, I would wear the Lopes all the time.