mtbr member

Thoughts: Crank Brothers Opium 3 handlebar?

In the market for a bar like the CB Opium 3's: 25-30mm rise, ~775/780mm width, less than 300g, reasonably priced. Anyone running these that can provide any feedback? Any other particular bar that fits that description that I should be looking at? I don't want any of the 15mm "such a small rise, that they shouldn't be called a riser bar" bars, nor do I want any of the "look how cool I am because my bars are so wide I get stuck between trees that are 10' feet apart" bars either...

RideDirt
    Deity Bars

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead View Post
    In the market for a bar like the CB Opium 3's: 25-30mm rise, ~775/780mm width, less than 300g, reasonably priced. Anyone running these that can provide any feedback? Any other particular bar that fits that description that I should be looking at? I don't want any of the 15mm "such a small rise, that they shouldn't be called a riser bar" bars, nor do I want any of the "look how cool I am because my bars are so wide I get stuck between trees that are 10' feet apart" bars either...
    I used the Opium 3 on my '12 Session 88 for a while and it felt great, but I replaced it with an Iodine 11 carbon bar. I use the CBs Iodine carbon bars on 3 of my bikes, all risers, all outstanding! The Opium is a good bar, but there are SOOOOOO many aluminum DH bars to choose from these days.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks guys - I was just looking at the Diety Dirty30. Seems pretty comperable to the Opium 3. Agreed, lots of aluminum choices (too many?). I do want to stick with aluminum for my DH/AM bike...
    -Scott

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I was going to say something about Crank Bros, but it's about handlebars... They can't screw that up, can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Huffy Rider
    You must be pretty tall to want such a big rise on a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    I was going to say something about Crank Bros, but it's about handlebars... They can't screw that up, can they?
    I also am holding my tongue, but I suspect that if there's a way to make a shitty handlebar, crank brothers will discover it.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing View Post
    I also am holding my tongue, but I suspect that if there's a way to make a shitty handlebar, crank brothers will discover it.
    No kidding. But I'm sure it will come in a very fancy box...that you'll throw out in the first 2 minutes.

So yeah, anything but CB. Answer, Deity, Easton, etc.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    motochick: nope, just old school. 30mm used to be low-rise. Now it's uber-high-rise. In 5 years, it'll probably be negative rise.
    As to the rest of you CB haters: on other bikes (not my DH bike), I've been totally happy with my Iodine 3 (aluminum, 700mm width) bars, and my Iodine 11 (carbon, 680mm width) bars. I've also been totally happy with my Joplin 4R seatpost, and my Iodine and Cobalt wheelsets. I can't say zero issues with the post or wheels, but almost zero. As far as I can tell nobody makes a bullitproof dropper post - my biggest beef with the Joplin's are the outer clamping plates seem to fail over time). Just an occasional broken spoke with the wheels, and I did run into the freehub issue with the Iodine - but CB makes an easy-to-install fix for it - no issues since. Light, and laterally stiff. Just another perspective... Although I liked the box comment Ithnu - it really is a VERY fancy box (and makes you wonder how much are you paying for it out of the price).

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead View Post
    motochick: nope, just old school. 30mm used to be low-rise. Now it's uber-high-rise. In 5 years, it'll probably be negative rise.
    As to the rest of you CB haters: on other bikes (not my DH bike), I've been totally happy with my Iodine 3 (aluminum, 700mm width) bars, and my Iodine 11 (carbon, 680mm width) bars. I've also been totally happy with my Joplin 4R seatpost, and my Iodine and Cobalt wheelsets. I can't say zero issues with the post or wheels, but almost zero. As far as I can tell nobody makes a bullitproof dropper post - my biggest beef with the Joplin's are the outer clamping plates seem to fail over time). Just an occasional broken spoke with the wheels, and I did run into the freehub issue with the Iodine - but CB makes an easy-to-install fix for it - no issues since. Light, and laterally stiff. Just another perspective... Although I liked the box comment Ithnu - it really is a VERY fancy box (and makes you wonder how much are you paying for it out of the price).
    I'm with ya I have two wheel sets, 3 Iodine 11 bars, 1 opium 3 bar, Acids, Mallets, 50/50s, Joplin 4r and have had many other CBs parts including pedals and a Joplin r, all which I've never had any problems with that I didn't cause my self. Crankbrothers haters are funny people, who mostly ride band wagons

Here are the opiums 3 bars on my Session when I first got it and the Iodine 11s on it now(both 780mm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts: Crank Brothers Opium 3 handlebar?-88-day-1-39-.jpg  

Thoughts: Crank Brothers Opium 3 handlebar?-img_1251.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Living the High Life
    I had a CB 4" Joplin. After 3 rides I put my regular seat post back on. The thing would drop an inch during hard climbs.

I have a Specialized dropper now, had it all summer.

Another note, my team had a CB sponsor and still only a few guys out of a dozen bought their parts. We dropped them last year. Everyone was buying Answer and Sun Ringle through our Hayes sponsor.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

usually cranky
    cb has been great for me, pedals, stems, maybe im lucky.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The CB sticker kits have been flawlees
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    The CB sticker kits have been flawlees
    Must spread rep...hilarious.