Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Equal opportunity meanie

Is there such thing as a chainguide that won't catastrophically fail??

E13's believe it or not do fail, and when they do, it's bad. Meaning chain wedged between the backplate and the chainring locking your pedals kind of bad. They also drag like crazy and the bashplate gets bent into the chainring when it takes a sideways hit. They're out.

My Gamut just dropped chains on the last 5 rides. On the last ride, it lost the chain from the lower roller as I bottomed out the back end through a G-out and it ripped my derailleur off and put it into the rear wheel. This is not the first time in recent history that it has left me walking out of a trail. I hope they warranty this thing and maybe fix it so the chain can't escape when it's set up right since the concept is real nice. I would really like to get the derailleur replaced too as it was pretty much brand new and expensive as hell (new X9) but I doubt that's going to happen.

Are there any other companies that makes guides that won't horribly F me out on the trail when they mess up and cost me lots of money when they destroy my drivetrain? I know nothing is foolproof but being able to repair it quickly and easily is what I'm after. I'm not too keen on the LG1. I hit way too much stuff, especially from the side. MRP's don't clear on my frame since they don't clear the chainstay yoke. And before anyone suggests it, yes, these guides are set up properly.

mtbr member
    You haven't left yourself a whole lot of options LOL. Blackspire? Something simple like Transition's guide? Hell I don't know what to tell you.
    Last edited by combatkimura; 07-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.

StraightOuttaCompton
    you should get an LG-1 with a taco
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    why wouldn't this fit......never had a problem in over 6 years of riding on these

simple and it works

or look through these

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/brand/?122&p=1
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Parts on DH bikes fail. With the amount of abuse they they have to deal with, there's no way a part like a chain guide will last forever. That said, you're just about the ONLY person I've heard complain about e.13's guides (excluding the LG1- what a POS), so perhaps you've either just got extremely bad luck, or don't know how to set them up properly. You can't really complain about it getting bent when you smash into something either, it's not like it was designed to get smashed onto things sideways.

Try a vanilla style MRP with the upper and lower rollers with the large back plate that sort of sandwiches the chain between the bashgaurd and backplate. If there's a guide that will take the abuse better than any other, it will be that guide.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Yeah I wanted to use those old MRP's when I first built the bike up, but the R9 frame won't accept a full backplate w/o hitting the chainstay. I actually just looked at their site and the link to Jenson and some of those look promising. I always liked having the rollers directly over the chainring on both ends so there's no gap at all.

I think I had one of the older SRS guides. Their over-hyped bulletproof Lexan sucked. The rest of the chainguide was made of super super cheap plastic. The roller dragged like you would not believe. I'm not running anything like the LG-1 unless there's something that completely cradles the bottom of the chainring. Most of the stuff I hit is in narrow chutes from the side (you should see what's left of the sides of my pedals).

I have enjoyed the Gamut guide up until this point. Out of sight, out of mind. No maintenance to be done on it besides roller spacing and replacing a couple chainring bolts that had rattled themselves out.

Now with flavor!!
    You should probably set your chainguides up correctly.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

moaaar shimz
    Try Blackspire stuff.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    Ive had outstanding succes w/ the Blacksphire stinger. Its cheap, high quality and very durable. I havnt had my chain slip off once since I installed it.

highly reccomended!!
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]i ride transition[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I'm gonna have to agree. I run a gamut guide and its hard for me to imagine how you're losing a chain every time unless something is horribly out of whack

Equal opportunity meanie
    Kevin, I've had this Gamut on my bike since the end of lift season last year. It has been perfectly fine since then. The only thing that has needing adjusting is the lower roller spacing. I think it might just be getting worn out and flexing too much or something, no idea. The E13 guides were also set up by the book. They're losing the chain because there's just enough gap between the bash and the upper guide/roller than the chain can squeeze through when it's flexed. Hence why I like the MRP idea of the roller going over the entire gap on the top and the bottom.

N* Bomber Crew
    I don't know Gordon, but I've ran two LG1's and I've never had a problem with either. Set yourself plenty of time to set it up, and don't be lazy, be willing to use the gold washers to get the guide chainline correct and rolling smooth.

A lot of guides out there work really efficiently when setup correctly. I don't doubt your ability to set it up properly.

With that I say LG1. Mount it with the BB Adapter and you'll be fine with a taco. I've been running a taco on my LG1 mounted to ISCG tabs and I've smacked it plenty. Its fine.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I would agree. I think you are having to deal with setup issues, and not the product itself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Kevin, I've had this Gamut on my bike since the end of lift season last year. It has been perfectly fine since then. The only thing that has needing adjusting is the lower roller spacing. I think it might just be getting worn out and flexing too much or something, no idea. The E13 guides were also set up by the book. They're losing the chain because there's just enough gap between the bash and the upper guide/roller than the chain can squeeze through when it's flexed. Hence why I like the MRP idea of the roller going over the entire gap on the top and the bottom.
    You've definately got it setup wrong. the only way there could be a gap big enough for the chain to get caught between the upper slider and bashring is if a) the bashring is too small, b) the slider is not set to the proper height, or c) both.

When I first started using the SRS I would have the same thing, but it was because my bash was WAY to small, and with the slider set at the proper height there was still gap. With the proper size bash and proper slider height there will be no gap and what you describe will not be able to happen.

And as far as the backplate being made of "cheap plastic", you need to lay off the bong (that might be why your bike is set up haggard-like to begin with ). It's made of CNC'd aluminum. I'm pretty sure you're also the only person in the world that has claimed the Supercharger bash of sucking.

EastBaySteez
    I have NEVER have my Gamut P20 drop a chain, either a 32 or a 34 tooth ring. Sounds like you need a washer on the top limiter. Talk to Scott. The derailleur issue sounds like a problem with SRAM or the derailleur hanger not gamut.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    The derailleur issue sounds like a problem with SRAM or the derailleur hanger not gamut.
    No, you are retarded, it has to do with the chain dropping and the locking everything up.....

EastBaySteez
    The fact still comes down to its nearly impossible to drop a chain with a properly set up Gamut.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    The fact still comes down to its nearly impossible to drop a chain with a properly set up Gamut.
    Or e.13, blackspire, raceface etc

Downhiller
    Jun 2007
    the LG-1 w/ taco has done well and its light.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Or e.13, blackspire, raceface etc
    I've had bad luck with e.13's. I was at a Giant Demo day here in the bay. Rode a bran new glory, I had to take it back to the tent 4 times and they still couldnt get the guide set up right. They even called e.13 to try and trouble shoot.

I've installed a few gamuts, all you do it bolt them on and your set. Maybe put a washer on the top limiter thats it.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've had some problems in the past with a raceface guide and when i finally got tired of jamming the chain between the top guide and the bashring i decided to enclosure the chain in a homemade lg1 style. like this. Never had a problem again and it took me an hour to do it.
    i'll never use another kind of guide.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

N* Bomber Crew
    I've had bad luck with e.13's. I was at a Giant Demo day here in the bay. Rode a bran new glory, I had to take it back to the tent 4 times and they still couldnt get the guide set up right. They even called e.13 to try and trouble shoot.

I've installed a few gamuts, all you do it bolt them on and your set. Maybe put a washer on the top limiter thats it.
    That's weird...

Between me and my friend we've setup and ran 4 e13 LG1's. All of them ran flawlessly.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Equal opportunity meanie
    Nothing is fail-proof. That's a fact. The blanket statement that "if it fails it's set up wrong" is a shortsighted cop-out for poor design.

There is a couple mm of gap along the top guide, but when the chain is being yanked against it from being derailled over the bottom roller, it flexes, and a gap opens up. It is set up the exact same way that brand new Demo 8's are set up with the same guide. ALSO, the chain is the correct length and has no problem cycling through the travel without the shock in the frame (when the chain is actually on the guide and able to move). Trust me, I take my time and set up my stuff damn well. I can take pictures later to substantiate this.

The derailleur issue comes from being ripped off upon bottom out from there not being any slack in the chain due to, guess what, a locked up chainguide. Also note that the Gamuts have non-adjustable height on the upper guide, only side-to-side spacing. The upper guide also isn't the issue here. It derails over the rather large gap between the bash and the lower roller, THEN gets yanked out of the upper guide when the chain is off the ring and pulling towards the inside. The lip on the rollers just aren't tall enough (yes, I have a new one on there). That is just a design flaw.

So looked over the damage on the bike a bit closer. It is going to cost me: new derailleur, new hanger, new rear wheel build and maybe a rim, chain, and possibly the cassette. I'm planning on going for the MRP guide unless Gamut can do something about the poor guide design and the blown up back end. To be honest, I'm just expecting to have to shell out a few hundred to get the bike usable again. The bike industry just doesn't have the margins to be able to fix collateral damage like the auto industry can (example: Thule fixing damage to the rest of YOUR car when THEIR retaining devices fail).

The Gamut has been fine up until this point and I think the backplate is just able to flex too much after having the chain yanked out of it a few too many times due to the worn roller before. If a worn guide is that catastrophic and they can't alter their design to be more durable then I think I'm going on to one of the new MRP's.

Anyone have a spare X9 or WTB Dual Duty 32h????

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    That's weird...

Between me and my friend we've setup and ran 4 e13 LG1's. All of them ran flawlessly.
    LG1's are almost fool proof.
    I was talking about the SRS's My bad.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have the same problem with my gamut. I lost the chain twice on one run this morning. The gamut is good idea but the backplate has too much flex because they tried to make it too light and the rollers arent adjustable up and down so when things wear there is a gap that the chain can pop out.
    Last edited by jamesdc; 07-21-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast