mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Tallboy LT First time Downhiller

Hello all,

Last weekend I finally was able to go to a dh park for my first time. Blue mtn incase anyone is familiar. My buddy that came with me rented a giant glory 2 but I opted to ride my tblt to see how it would do.

I have the base aluminum tblt with a rockshox sektor 140 fork and fox ctd shock.

I am used to riding rocky terrain but I was surprised how rocky the trails were. I could feel myself being knocked around a bit but overall was happy with how my bike performed. I did get a rear tire puncher from my shock bottoming out harshly.

I wanted to swap bikes with my buddy to compare my bike to a proper dh rig but was unable to swap pedals without a pedal wrench. (I was riding clipless)

I would like to attend a dh park prolly 2-3 times a year and was wondering if I'd be better off:

a. Renting each time
    b. Buying a dedicted dh rig
    c. Investing in a Pike and a cane creek dual barrel shock.

I myself is is partially leaning toward option c because I would get the benefit of the upgrades every week on my local trails.

Also I'm going to pick up some beefier tires. Thinking 2.4 addents
    Last edited by sti2.5ldohc; 08-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sti2.5ldohc View Post
    c. Investing in a Pike and a cane creek dual barrel shock.

I myself is is partially leaning toward option c because I would get the benefit of the upgrades every week on my local trails.
    Option D:

An Avy Woodie coil or a X-Fusion Vector HLR coil, and a 2015 Fox 36 Float w/ that 20mmTA. I'll up a pic as soon as I take one, but riding tomorrow. So, maybe Wed
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Trail Ninja
    E) Spare beefy wheelset with cheap cassette, basic steel rotors, and DH/park worthy tires, and perhaps thicker tubes. Spec Butcher GRID, or perhaps some HR2s?

mtbr member

Burlier TB LTc...

Tallboy LT First time Downhiller-burley-tbltc.jpg

Tallboy LT First time Downhiller-burlier-tbltc.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks great. What shock is that?

mtbr member
    Rent a DH bike when you go. Dont tear up your trail bike on the wrong trail. Plus you could more easily get hurt that way.
    Also usually a DH bike will prevent fatigue on a DH trail and allow you to ride more trails in a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sti2.5ldohc View Post
    Looks great. What shock is that?
    It's the X-Fusion Vector HLR coil w/ a custom VPP tune.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Glad to Be Alive
    You will pound the TallBoy and just abuse it....just leave it alone or upgrade for your local trail only

Now renting is close to 100 a day.....find a good used bike for 800 to 1200....maybe that will get you to ride more DH locally too

riding a DH bike does a lot of things. The geometry is made better to go faster, it will eat up more bumps for a smoother ride at higher speeds and at the end of the day you will not be as fatigued from taking the pounding....when you are fatigued that leads to more crashes, so having a dh bike will help prevent fatigued crashes at the end of the day
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    You will pound the TallBoy and just abuse it....just leave it alone or upgrade for your local trail only

Now renting is close to 100 a day.....find a good used bike for 800 to 1200....maybe that will get you to ride more DH locally too

riding a DH bike does a lot of things. The geometry is made better to go faster, it will eat up more bumps for a smoother ride at higher speeds and at the end of the day you will not be as fatigued from taking the pounding....when you are fatigued that leads to more crashes, so having a dh bike will help prevent fatigued crashes at the end of the day
    Nah, I take a beefy trail bike and pedal/run green and blue trails at the local bike park (Trestle for me). It's like the best day on a trail ride...lots of reward, no pain!
    Breaking it up like this does wonders for bike handling when you go back to the big bike, and it's fun as hell!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hope to hit Launch park next which I will be using my bike for since they don't rent but is 30min closer to me. Next time I go to blue mtn I will probably rent to get a good comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Rent a DH bike when you go. Dont tear up your trail bike on the wrong trail. Plus you could more easily get hurt that way.
    Also usually a DH bike will prevent fatigue on a DH trail and allow you to ride more trails in a day.
    This is the best answer. You go 2-3 times a year. Not worth spending the money to "upgrade" your bike for part time duties as a DH rig. Add to that the "cost" of things breaking because of the extra abuse it might take at a DH park and the fact the 29er's in general aren't suited for DH'hilling (yea i said it shoot me)

I ride a few times a year myself if I didn't have my own 26er (Which I bought on the cheap off craigslist) I would probably be renting my self. No sense in destrying my $4000 carbon Scott Genius on the a DH park just so I can see what it can do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I appreciate all the advice that was given and thought id give an update. Went back to blue mountain yesterday and rented a giant glory. First run I wasn't too comfortable with it but new it might take some adjustment. 2nd run I ate it midway. Took awhile to regain my confidence after that. By the end of the day I was having fun again but overall I went faster on my tallboy.

I ended the day with leaving my pedals on the dh rig and going home. It's 2hr away so hopefully they will ship them to me.

bike rider
    Your tire didn't puncture because the shock bottomed. You hit a rock hard. It slammed the tire into the rim hard enough to puncture it. The force then pushed the suspension hard enough to bottom out. A better shock or different tune wouldn't have prevented the flat. Dual ply wide DH tires would have. For the amount of DHing you're doing and the limited vert there I think a spare set of tires is all you need. We're not talking 3000ft runs at Keystone here. A better fork with 10mm more travel would definitely help but might raise the front end more than you want on climbs.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Your tire didn't puncture because the shock bottomed. You hit a rock hard. It slammed the tire into the rim hard enough to puncture it. The force then pushed the suspension hard enough to bottom out. A better shock or different tune wouldn't have prevented the flat. Dual ply wide DH tires would have. For the amount of DHing you're doing and the limited vert there I think a spare set of tires is all you need. We're not talking 3000ft runs at Keystone here. A better fork with 10mm more travel would definitely help but might raise the front end more than you want on climbs.
    You're right about the tires. I believe it was my fault because I ran too low of pressures. I picked up some minions 2.5 Looking forward to my first ride with them. Which would make a bigger difference. RS sektor to 150 pike or fox ctd to ccdb?

bike rider
    The fork will make a bigger difference. Especially if you get one with 10mm more travel.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    nice