Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tall DH Rider

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Tall DH Rider

Hey All-

I am poking around looking to hear from other tall DH riders as to how they have created a better fit in the cockpit. I am 6'3". I have an XL Session 88 with lots of nice extras. I put Pro Taper 1" rise bars and Twenty6 riser stem on it and it feels pretty good and the more I ride, the better it feels. Just curious if any other tall people out there have any secrets or if I really don't need anything else but more time on the bike. Just had an awesome two days ripping at Angel Fire and the bike was fantastic. I have been riding MTB for over 20 years but only into DH for a year so far. Looking for first hand knowledge and experience not speculation or the "I knew a guy who knew a guy who..."

Thanks!
    Last edited by Devin's Dad; 09-03-2012 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin's Dad View Post
    Hey All-

I am poking around looking to hear from other tall DH riders as to how they have created a better fit in the cockpit. I have an XL Session 88 with lots of nice extras. I put Pro Taper 1" rise bars and Twenty6 riser stem on it and it feels pretty good and the more I ride, the better it feels. Just curious if any other tall people out there have any secrets or if I really don't need anything else but more time on the bike. Just had an awesome two days ripping at Angel Fire and the bike was fantastic. I have been riding MTB for over 20 years but only into DH for a year so far. Looking for first hand knowledge and experience not speculation or the "I knew a guy who knew a guy who..."

Thanks!
    How tall are you ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    6'3"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'3"
    I am 6'4" and always ran XL frames w/ longest head tube I could find. Top tubes that were 24" c-c in actual length. 2.5-3" riser bars w/ riser stems - 30" wide as well. Its really going to boil down to personal preference and you should experiment w/ your cockpit as much as possible. You posted here so you must not be 100% satisfied w/ the setup. Getting use to a bad setup isn't a good thing either. I looked @ the Spec's on the Session and it is on the smaller side of XL's. Over the years so many shorter riders tried to convince me I should ride a large sized frame for DH ??? comfort & control are my concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I feel your pain, I'm 6'7 and ride a large IH sgs, it's a bit on the small side for me, however I've yet to sit on something substantially larger, my problem is that most bikes are too short

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky_Stu View Post
    I feel your pain, I'm 6'7 and ride a large IH sgs, it's a bit on the small side for me, however I've yet to sit on something substantially larger, my problem is that most bikes are too short
    Large IH SGS isn't a big bike in general - my 6'0" buddy rode one. There are quite a few XL DH bike's that would better suit your size. If I were your size I'd look into a custom frame.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I'm 6'1" and ride a medium. Then again, I looked at it next to a large and didn't notice too much difference and the medium was the only one available. My other bike is a large though, and I think my road bike is an XL. For DH I kinda like the smaller bike, considering I fit comfortably on it.

Does it feel uncomfortable at all?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I am 6'4" and always ran XL frames w/ longest head tube I could find. Top tubes that were 24" c-c in actual length. 2.5-3" riser bars w/ riser stems - 30" wide as well. Its really going to boil down to personal preference and you should experiment w/ your cockpit as much as possible. You posted here so you must not be 100% satisfied w/ the setup. Getting use to a bad setup isn't a good thing either. I looked @ the Spec's on the Session and it is on the smaller side of XL's. Over the years so many shorter riders tried to convince me I should ride a large sized frame for DH ??? comfort & control are my concern.

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated. What bars did you find that rise that much? I am having trouble finding anything over 40mm. Thx!

Professional Troll
    Thanks for your input, very much appreciated. What bars did you find that rise that much? I am having trouble finding anything over 40mm. Thx!
    Kore torsion bars. 31.5 wide and 2 inch rise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I'm 6'1" and ride a medium. Then again, I looked at it next to a large and didn't notice too much difference and the medium was the only one available. My other bike is a large though, and I think my road bike is an XL. For DH I kinda like the smaller bike, considering I fit comfortably on it.

Does it feel uncomfortable at all?
    I wouldn't say uncomfortable. Actually, the bike is great but I think I would like the fit better if I wasn't having to bend up my legs so much to get a good low flat back position. It would help with leg fatigue as well. The length is fine. Thx!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I wouldn't say uncomfortable. Actually, the bike is great but I think I would like the fit better if I wasn't having to bend up my legs so much to get a good low flat back position. It would help with leg fatigue as well. The length is fine. Thx!
    I think I understand what you are saying. I've noticed some leg fatigue also on longer DH trails just from standing up for a few minutes. Maybe this is due to riding a smaller frame, but I don't know for sure. Interesting...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Azonic World Force. 31.8 bar clamp, 760mm wide & 75mm tall. If you don't need them as wide there are a bunch of tall bars @ Chainreactioncycles.com .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is partially why I like long head tubes w/ tall bars. Just imagine a BMX bike w/ flat bars That would really force you into an attack position to get your mass rearward.

Old N Slow
    At 6'5" what DH / Freeride bike would you recommend? Or would going with a 29er be better for my height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    At 6'5" what DH / Freeride bike would you recommend? Or would going with a 29er be better for my height?
    Depends what type of money you have but Santa Cruz V-10 XL is BIG. They had them on clearance for awhile!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Depends what type of money you have but Santa Cruz V-10 XL is BIG. They had them on clearance for awhile!
    No, they aren't really. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone over 6'3". I've felt larges that were bigger.

What you really need to look at is the "reach" measurement. It's the horizontal projection of the distance from the center of the BB to the middle of the top of the headtube. Anyone over 6'3" wants something between 17" and 18". Santa Cruz CLAIMS it's 17.5 inches, but I don't buy it. Companies don't seem to measure this well, so it's often best to look at wheelbase - chainstay length. That seems to give a better measurement of cockpit length.

Example: My bike has an 18" reach, ~50" wheelbase and 17.75 chainstay (This is spec, and I've measured and confirmed it myself). The XL v-10 has a 47.9" wheelbase, "17.5 inch" reach, and 17.3 chainstay. Unless it's headangle is WAYYYY steeper (which it's not), or they are measuring with some weird ass fork length, then their measurements for reach are off. Wheelbase and chainstay are really easy to measure, so I assume those are correct. Their reach, as comparable to other bikes, is probably closer to 16.75 or 17.

1. Demo 8's seem to have larger cockpits, check those out, even though they only go up to a large.

2. I've never sat on an XL canfield, but those numbers suggest that the XL is actually big.

3. The turner XL's numbers look like it's small, and they quote a small reach number as well.

4. The devinci XL also looks like it might be pretty big as well.

But once you get the frame figured out I CANNOT stress enough the importance of running tall bars. Do NOT run flat, or 1inch rise bars if you are over 6'2", or unless your bike has a really tall headtube. Running bars too low seem to be the biggest mistake people make when setting up the cockpit of a bike.

And yes, I've spent A LOT of time and money working on this problem, trust me on this stuff. I have a stack of handlebars with different rises and widths, different integrated stems, I've machined spacers to give more rise to integrated stems even.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i (6' 2") run a medium large frame but run a 24" rim in back and a 50mm stem and bars with 40mm spacers under the upper crown. im finally getting back into a 26" rear, so everything im used to is getting thrown out the window.

mtbr member
    I am 6'4 and I was riding a Large 2010 glory which felt really spacious and now I'm a Large 2011 Foes Hydro and I would say It's about the same size as the glory. Nice and spacious with about 4 inches between my knees and handlebars while pedaling sitting down. I had a Long 2012 Scott Voltage and I was super cramped. Felt good in the air though.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Minaar is 6' 3", what size V10 does he ride?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    No, they aren't really. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone over 6'3". I've felt larges that were bigger.

What you really need to look at is the "reach" measurement. It's the horizontal projection of the distance from the center of the BB to the middle of the top of the headtube. Anyone over 6'3" wants something between 17" and 18". Santa Cruz CLAIMS it's 17.5 inches, but I don't buy it. Companies don't seem to measure this well, so it's often best to look at wheelbase - chainstay length. That seems to give a better measurement of cockpit length.

Example: My bike has an 18" reach, ~50" wheelbase and 17.75 chainstay (This is spec, and I've measured and confirmed it myself). The XL v-10 has a 47.9" wheelbase, "17.5 inch" reach, and 17.3 chainstay. Unless it's headangle is WAYYYY steeper (which it's not), or they are measuring with some weird ass fork length, then their measurements for reach are off. Wheelbase and chainstay are really easy to measure, so I assume those are correct. Their reach, as comparable to other bikes, is probably closer to 16.75 or 17.

1. Demo 8's seem to have larger cockpits, check those out, even though they only go up to a large.

2. I've never sat on an XL canfield, but those numbers suggest that the XL is actually big.

3. The turner XL's numbers look like it's small, and they quote a small reach number as well.

4. The devinci XL also looks like it might be pretty big as well.

But once you get the frame figured out I CANNOT stress enough the importance of running tall bars. Do NOT run flat, or 1inch rise bars if you are over 6'2", or unless your bike has a really tall headtube. Running bars too low seem to be the biggest mistake people make when setting up the cockpit of a bike.

And yes, I've spent A LOT of time and money working on this problem, trust me on this stuff. I have a stack of handlebars with different rises and widths, different integrated stems, I've machined spacers to give more rise to integrated stems even.
    Well he has 1" on me 6' 3" isn't tall I can ride a MD and owned a SM Supermoto DH for a year or so. But I can ride anything My friend is 6' 5" and the V-10 fits him fine. Steve Peat is 6' 3"....

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    . Steve Peat is 6' 3"....
    They aren't running stock setups. Last time I checked the had some tricks to increase the reach, like offset cups and such.

I think a lot of people, especially tall people, don't realize the benefits of riding a bike that is "too big for you" according to conventional wisdom. Most people I know who are 6'3-6'5"ish have hopped on my bike and gone "whoa sh*t! This is huge and awesome!" There's a reason that midget Danny Hart is on a bike one size too big. Trust me, I'd REALLY love to try that new v-10 carbon if they made a proper XL.

Also, when looking at moto you got guys riding bikes that are HUGE on them (yes they usually have some minor modifications to help the bike fit better, narrower radiators, shaved seats, etc.). JS and GOAT look like hobbits on their bikes, they seem to be able to control them pretty well too. (yes yes, I know moto comparisons aren't always useful).

In summary, if you don't ride like a weak little fairy, bigger bikes are better.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Minaar is 6' 3", what size V10 does he ride?
    Yes and he and Peat look like goons on those little clown bikes

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I like this pic a lot.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Yes and he and Peat look like goons on those little clown bikes

I would liken it to a 62 degree head angle 99% of the people asking for them will not benefit from them if you are 6' 6" and bigger you may need a really big bike. My friend road my Large Legend and liked the fit.

Tight twisty technical riding hinders long wheelbase bikes. Some like the stability of a long frame. I don't notice it much until the 36 tooth is about spun out which basically never happens around here. But again I grew up riding DH bikes with 67 degree HA and that 1:42 record on that hard trail was set on one of those back in 2000. So all the kids showing up with 61 degree HA bikes running it in 2:10 are almost 30 seconds off so that slack bike isn't helping.

RC is 5' 6" so essentially he is a hobbit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am 6'3-6'4 and run a Trek Session 88 and Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc both in XL.

I think you also need to consider the size of your legs relative to your body. I have an inseam of about 32inches which for my height it small but have a very long body. So for me having a really long reach is very nice. On my Tallboy I can run it stock and it feels great. On the Session it feels slightly shorter but I might consider tweaking the bars and stem to extend it a bit.

These were the biggest bikes I had semi convenient access to in the UK as many of the smaller US brands are not sold here.

@Hound Depends how big and fast you want to go and your weight. I would take my Tallboy down some DH trails but as soon as you get to the more technical sections and jumps the shock could struggle whereas the Session would munch it up! So really depends how hard you want to push.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast