Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tall DH Rider

Old N Slow
    Gentleman that you for such great input. I know at 46 I've slowed Dn quiet a bit. So I'm not going to be balling Dn on everything. My old faithful Trek Y-11 is an XL an to be honest it never really felt right. I always felt like I was over the front to much.
    Either way it looks like I'll be going on a lot of test rides this winter.

@ JohnUK inseam is 36"

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    My friend road my Large Legend and liked the fit.
    Banshee has a 16.3" reach. That's really short for a large. Has he ridden bikes with a 17"+ reach? If not then him saying he likes it isn't saying much (I'm not calling him stupid or a bad rider, just making a point). I used to think 16.5" and 17" reaches were almost enough, but then I tried bigger, sooooo much better. My torso is pretty short too. I'm 6'7" and have a 37" inseam and a long neck. You gotta try all options to have a good opinion. Someday I'd like to try a bike with an 18.5" or 19" reach just for kicks. Maybe once I can afford some custom frames to get fabbed up for me!

But don't mind me, I'm just of the opinion that people chronically ride frames that are too small for them.

But again I grew up riding DH bikes with 67 degree HA and that 1:42 record on that hard trail was set on one of those back in 2000. So all the kids showing up with 61 degree HA bikes running it in 2:10 are almost 30 seconds off so that slack bike isn't helping.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

RC is 5' 6" so essentially he is a hobbit.
    Hobbit is being generous

mtbr member
    The longest bike in reach I know is the demo. 447mm. It has also a 1,5" headtube which you can use to stretch it out even more. The downside is, that the front is really low, so you will have to use a high riser bar and / or a lot of spacers.
    Another thing to consider is the short rear end. Therefor the wheelbase won't be too long.

I am 1,90m and considering buying a new Gambler. I just like the adjustability of that bike. But I'll have to go also that way (to get more reach instead of less):

mtbr member
    6'5", ride an XL Turner Highline with Diety dirty 30 bars. 50mm stem, so didn't need to extend the cockpit. I've ridden XC on this bike too, but with a 70mm stem. No complaints about the size.

I'd urge you to spend more time on the bike before you make up your mind that its too small, Keep in mind that you can experiment with stem lengths pretty cheaply, this might help you decide if you need to make a change before spending a ton of dough on a different bike, etc.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    7'0" and riding a custom steel DH bike made by Hank Matheson from Bicycle Fabrications in San Francisco. It has a beefy single-pivot somewhat like the Santa Cruz Bullitt, but pedals really well considering. Top tube is something like 27.5 inches. Love the bike, although I am pretty new to the DH side of riding.

Hank is super cool...brought the bike to Mammoth to ride with me and tweak the bike's geometry a little as needed.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    7'0" and riding a custom steel DH bike made by Hank Matheson from Bicycle Fabrications in San Francisco. It has a beefy single-pivot somewhat like the Santa Cruz Bullitt, but pedals really well considering. Top tube is something like 27.5 inches. Love the bike, although I am pretty new to the DH side of riding.

Hank is super cool...brought the bike to Mammoth to ride with me and tweak the bike's geometry a little as needed.
    ^^ I have ridden his bike, It is the most amazing burly bike I have ever seen. I remember when I saw it I was like "Oh that aluminum tubing looks a tiny bit narrow, wait, THAT'S F-ING STEEL!".

Are you still running the same handlebar setup? Did you ever try wider (31.5") ones? If I remember correctly you were rocking 30" ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, I switched to some 31.5's and like them a lot more! Good call They are like 3 inch risers, too...that seems to be the big issue for me...builders can only do the head tube so long before you have to start limiting fork travel, and who wants that! I've thought about trying to get ahold of some spacers to get the front a little higher...I've seen pics of Steve Peat's bike and it looks like he rocks them....

Now I'm just hoping the Gravity Logic facelift to Snow Summit means they will drop the weight requirement, since the bike is currently about 46 lbs, well over the 39 limit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2