mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Sunday River or Windham?

So I'm getting a route together for my north east bike park trip. I am pretty set, but down to one last decision; should I hit up Sunday River or Windham?

Note that Sunday River says Tango & Crash and the Not Trail will be closed this summer. I've never ridden at Sunday River and rode very briefly at Windham (was feeling bad so only did 2 runs, the two blues, and was not overly impressed, but then again I was not feeling well).

Already planning to hit thunder mountain, killington, highland, attitash, bromont, and whiteface.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've not been to Sunday river... Windham only has 4 trails. True, they are top-to-bottom trails, but there's no possibility of mixing routes or anything. I for one can't do World Cup more than a couple times in a day, it's exhausting. So that means riding citizen DH over and over. Good trail, yes. But how many times do you want to ride it?

If it were me, I'd probably spend a second day at Thunder before Windham. It's really too bad about Platty, that would have been the correct answer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yep, Platty would have been an obvious choice. I have the MTBPark Pass, so going back to thunder mountain, while possible, would be more expensive than the other two options. I'm leaning towards Sunday River since it's included in the pass (as is Windham).

mtbr member
    Fwiw, Platty will be open July 1-2, 8-9, first week in August, September and October I believe.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode Sunday river two years ago. I highly recommend, not crowded, good natural old school trails, long runs. Awesome spot. Too bad its in such a remote location.

Keep on Rockin...
    Not sure if the trip is done, but consider Whiteface.

There are few mountains as challenging for old school tech. It is a mountain I'd say every East coaster needs to ride at least once so they can say the did it.

Massive vertical. Dwarfs most mountains. Bigger than many out west.

Ride there on a weekday and you may be the only one riding down from the top of the mountain.

People either love it or hate it. Love it for the challenge of the tech and gnar, or hate it for the same reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    been to Whiteface twice, love it! Going back again. Trip was supposed to be in late June, now its in August. If I can swing it I'll extend my trip another day and do both sunday river and windham.

Keep on Rockin...
    You from Reading area?

Way back when, I raced their FR-XC deal. Had a blast, way ahead of its time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah I'm about 40 minutes from the Mt. Penn trails, which have become a super good trail system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Not sure if the trip is done, but consider Whiteface.

There are few mountains as challenging for old school tech. It is a mountain I'd say every East coaster needs to ride at least once so they can say the did it.

Massive vertical. Dwarfs most mountains. Bigger than many out west.

Ride there on a weekday and you may be the only one riding down from the top of the mountain.

People either love it or hate it. Love it for the challenge of the tech and gnar, or hate it for the same reason.
    Oh boy whiteface, first place I got on a DH bike and boy was it eye opening, and I absolutely LOVED IT!

I am kind of conflicted if I want more people there or not, because it's such a gem of true super technical dh riding (at least when I was last there about 4 years ago) and I don't want it to get buffed out and smooth. But, I would love to see a world cup there to see how the pro's deal with it.

I am glad that it is getting some recognition in the DH community.

mtbr member
    'Windham only has 4 trails. True, they are top-to-bottom trails, but there's no possibility of mixing routes'

While I agree they could use another trail. You can mix and match your runs between the jump run and citizens DH route. While I miss Platte, Windham has put alot of money and effort into their lift service. I do not regret getting a season pass at Windham especially when you get two free passes to Thunder Mountian and Killington as part of the package.
    Last edited by daisycutter; 07-27-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: grammer