mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Sunday River vs Highland

I'm in Maine and I've probably only got time to ride one or the other. If you had your choice, and a freeride bike, which would you choose.

FWIW, I've never gotten to ride a lift assisted park, so I'm not passing up my opportunity to ride one while I'm up here.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Highland 100%. Sunday River and Highland are polar opposites. Highland is almost all machine made trails with smooth berms, jumps and drops. You can ride Highland on a short travel bike and have a blast.

Sunday River is rocky, gnarly and pretty damn challenging. You'll need a long travel bike, armor and health insurance.

Both are fun for their own reasons, but since its you're first time doing DH you'll enjoy Highland a lot more.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ive never been to sunday river but highland is amazing. The flow there is awesome and the trails are maintained better than the other places i have been to (killington,bretton woods,attitash). I would highly recommend Highland

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Sunday River is rocky, gnarly and pretty damn challenging. You'll need a long travel bike, armor and health insurance.
    I've got that (7" bike, health insurance, armor), but yeah, sounds like Highland is worth it.

Downhill fan
    Highland kills them all. Fast and flowy. Hellion, Happy Hour and Cat's Paw are my favorite speed/jump trails. Make sure you ride them many times when there and don't forget the beers after! LOL
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Screw it, I'm gonna ride 'em both. Fast and flowy is fun, so is **** yo'self rocky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i vote sunday river, i like to ride terrain that a bigger bike is made for