Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    We did Schleys camp last year and liked it a lot. It gives you time to explore the mtn yourself and hit some different stuff too. We did a day of XC riding there and had a great time. You'll learn a lot in two days also.ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    We did Schleys camp last year and liked it a lot. It gives you time to explore the mtn yourself and hit some different stuff too. We did a day of XC riding there and had a great time. You'll learn a lot in two days also.ttyl, Fahn
    thanks, I think is a good deal too...

mtbr member
    I realize we're a little off topic, but I think Schleys is a good alternative to SGC if you don't want to lay down that much dough. For just under $300 we got two days of coaching, lift tickets, and lunch. There were about 25 of us in the group and 4-5 instructors including Richie. The next two days we rode with some others that were in our clinic too. We bought a 3 day pass that was $150(I think) and if we stayed another day you can take your pass to one of the shops and they'd give you the 4th day free. 5 days of DH, 2 with pro coaching, 1 day of XC and we're under $550. The place we stayed was $250+/- each. In the end w/flights and gas, I think we kept it around $2,000. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    I realize we're a little off topic, but I think Schleys is a good alternative to SGC if you don't want to lay down that much dough. For just under $300 we got two days of coaching, lift tickets, and lunch. There were about 25 of us in the group and 4-5 instructors including Richie. The next two days we rode with some others that were in our clinic too. We bought a 3 day pass that was $150(I think) and if we stayed another day you can take your pass to one of the shops and they'd give you the 4th day free. 5 days of DH, 2 with pro coaching, 1 day of XC and we're under $550. The place we stayed was $250+/- each. In the end w/flights and gas, I think we kept it around $2,000. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    once again off topic ! but worth a mention for those that dont want to do the sgc,
    Welcome to Bear Back Biking. offer caterd challet plus coaching/guiding at very reasonable prices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    4 mths n 22 days left... just curious have any of you guys took the heli drop... how was it?? how is the weather there in July...

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by specialmint View Post
    4 mths n 22 days left... just curious have any of you guys took the heli drop... how was it??
    Amazing views, cool being dropped off at the top of a mountain on a glacier, kind of a lame trail though. Super fall line, rutted, riding the brakes the whole way.

On the off day, you'd be better off getting a coach to guide you to the peak and doing an out of bounds ride off the backside, maybe down to creekside or something on some of the old classic whistler stuff outside of the park. That is, unless you've never been in a helicopter and want to see your bike dangle thousands of feet above the valley...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

si vis pacem...
    Great to read other people's reviews of SGC. Two of my friends and I are booked for the first adult week, July 22-29. We're all competent riders but pretty new to FR/DH so we're definitely hoping the instruction will help get us to the next level. We'll be posting our experiences on our blog at gravitidriven | Ride until you can't pedal anymore! for anyone who might be interested.

It will be great to meet some of you there! Less than 2 months now....anyone else feeling the stoke?

RideDirt
    Jealous ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2 more weeks... think i will bring my running shoes... for a short run round the golf course in the mornings... so so stoked!!

MattSavage
    2 more weeks... think i will bring my running shoes... for a short run round the golf course in the mornings... so so stoked!!

I'd save your energy...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

which one theres loads ha ha ha,,, have fun

si vis pacem...
    Who thinks of golf when there is brown pow to be shredded?

Counting down the days here - next Wednesday the 18th we leave for 3 days on the North Shore then Adult week one at SGC. EPIC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hahaha... In this little place I call home we have about 5 official mtb trails... Of late if u r caught riding in unauthorized trails u will be fine Usd180.... Means no riding no hiking.... Joke right!!! Ok will focus on shredding instead... Soo stoke lah!!! 😄

Donkey Puncher
    7 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds until we leave for the Shore and SGC. Brownpow!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Doing adult camp #2. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

SGC Adult Camp

I'm attending Week #2 of the adult camps this year; this will be my 3rd year.

A couple of tips:
    * check out YouTube videos of trails and well-known features like GLC drops, Aline drop, Frieght Train box, Drop in clinic, etc. Make a "hit" list of things you'd like to try before the week is out and share it with your coaches. The easiest way to hit any of these things is to follow an expert's line and speed, and the coaches can hit it all

* Wed afternoon-ish is the most dangerous time. Your super-confident and fatigued. Consider knocking off early and checking out the village, or the pump track

* Check out the foam pit, even if you don't want to try it. There's usually a group of people there and some of them will be semi-pro or better. Take water - it is HOT!

* if you hit the foam pit or air bag *
    The hardest part of the foam pit is the roll in. You'll be on a hardtail bike and the g's at the bottom of the ramp will want to buckle your legs and fold you back over the bike. Stay strong! if you survive the roll in the jump is easy. Getting out of the foam is another matter.
    The air bag jump is steep and you'll be motoring; it's going to try and plant you on the face of the jump so stay strong but not rigid in your chest, arms and knees.

Tantalus lodge:
    * pretty easy going. Not fancy but having a full kitchen is nice if you don't want to eat out every night. The camp does dinner on the first and last night, I usually go out a couple of times and then cook a real dinner the other nights. There are grocery stores (and a liqour store) close by.

*They have a pool & 2 hot tubs, plus bike cleaning station. Parking (like everywhere in Whistler) is expensive and internet access a rip-off (user you mobile data plan if possible). They have secure bike storage but are OK with you keeping your bike(s) in your room. My day generally ends with: (1) rid to the lodge, (2) clean bike, (3) put bike in room and lay pads out to dry on balcony, (4) grab bathing suit and drink and head for hot tub, (5) dinner, phone family, (6) pass out by 9pm

* I like staying at Tantalus because the majority of campers stay there; it's fun to share a hot tub and beer after a wicked day of riding and recount your day.

I'm dragging along a buddy who's new to mountain biking, has never been on a DH bike and is very nervous... but he's still going.

If anyone has any questions about my experiences the past two years, let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Also forgot to mention in my previous post (and didn't see it in the thread). SGC has a videographer filming through the week. He'll grab some groups (all levels) and go film some stuff. On the last night they'll show the finished movie which is pretty cool.
    On Thursday they bring in Sterling Lawerence to shoot photos. If you've never seen this guy's work it is absolutely amazing. They'll split the entire camp into groups based on what you want to do for the photo (usually something like: technical, high-speed cornering or jumping) then take you out and set up a shot. At the dinner on the last night you get a copy of the print to take home.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    plyawn, thanks for the beta

si vis pacem...
    OK, so just got back from SGC Adult week 1 and all I can say is that it was the most amazing biking experience of my entire life. Anyone who is considering this but is still on the fence - DO IT. It WILL make you a better rider. Seriously, this is one of the rare situations where you really need to believe the hype.

I went to SGC hoping to become a better rider all around, but specifically to learn how to do jumps and drops. I had never even ridden a DH bike before but since I had ridden XC for years and considered myself to be pretty competent, I registered in the advanced category. My goal for the entire camp was to conquer my fear of air time and hit the GLC drop by the end of the week. It never crossed my mind that I might be setting the bar too low.

Shandro runs a tight program. On day one, riders are grouped together based on the information they provide when they register. Watching some of the other riders, I was wondering if maybe I had made a mistake and gotten in over my head. Everyone is a little nervous the first morning, so your coach (we started out with Kyle Jamieson and he was awesome) takes you out to work on fundamentals like cornering, stance, and weight distribution until everyone calms down. Monday is a little nuts - people are jittery and amped up trying to show off their skills and there are lots of crashes. My advice to a first timer would be take it easy, focus on following your coach's instruction and don't worry about how you match up with the rest of the group. The coaches want you to get the most out of the camp and they will make sure you're in a group where you will learn what you need to know, so don't worry about it too much if you get reassigned - it will only benefit you in the end. Our group was pretty tight but Kyle watched us pretty closely to make sure we were evenly matched. We ended up losing 2 guys by lunch (one crashed out and another got sent down to an easier group) but picked up two more in the afternoon so our group size stayed at 4. The pace was pretty easy for the day as everyone got a feel for the group and Kyle had us start sessioning some jump lines and drops. This was the stuff that terrified me, but Kyle gave me some pointers that helped me feel a lot more confident in the air and by the end of the day I hit the middle GLC drop.

Tuesday Kyle ramped it up a bit and started taking us into harder runs like Dirt Merchant and A-Line to practice jumping. For a guy like me who was terrified of jumps and drops, it was baptism by fire. We hit the rock drop on Dirt Merchant followed by the huge step up and the small creek gap. Kyle showed us the good lines and demonstrated anything we were unsure of. It was intimidating for me to start with, but Kyle's encouragement and instruction was super helpful and I made a decision to try it anyway and damn the consequences. Before I knew it I was gaining confidence like crazy and trying to charge hard at the same jumps that had freaked me out the day before. Coming down into the base just before lunch Kyle looked at me over his shoulder and asked if I wanted to go big. I nodded yes and he set the pace and guided me over the big GLC drop. My goal for the entire week was accomplished before noon on Day 2!

On Wednesday the coaches shuffled the deck and my group ended up with Katrina Strand. Katrina is in insanely good shape and the lady can SHRED. She is also a really, REALLY good coach. She took us down Schleyer and worked with us on line choice and reading the terrain. The first time down she stopped us at all the technical spots and explained what to do while encouraging us to be creative and use our skills, then the second time we flowed it all the way through, applying what we had learned. For a guy like me who (prior to SGC) had never ridden off anything higher than 2 feet, it was a serious rush being able to clean that run from top to bottom and hit all the drops and step downs. Katrina took us up to Garbanzo in the afternoon and we rode Original Sin, No Joke, Drop In Clinic, and Too Tight, working on our technical skills. That night the rep from Fox put on a suspension clinic where we learned a lot more about how to dial in our bikes.

At SGC they don't let you get complacent, and Thursday morning we found out we were riding with the boss man himself, Andrew Shandro. For me this was a huge privilege but also a lot of pressure. Shandro has been at the top of the game for years and you know that when you have a guy like him riding behind you, you had better bust a move. Riding with Shandro seemed less about learning and more about pushing, but by this point of the week it actually felt good to just ride as quickly and as much as possible and try to apply everything I had learned. Shandro was definitely there at all times to point out if we were doing anything wrong, but also to encourage us to keep trying new things. That afternoon he took us down Fade to Black, which was the first thing I had seen during the week that I wasn't sure I could ride without getting hurt. I rode around the big stuff, which was disappointing but probably smart considering I was getting pretty tired by that point.

Friday was amazing. We burned in a couple of quick laps down A-Line before heading up - ALL the way up - to the top of the mountain. Whistler's Peak Chair would be worth going up even if you didn't have a bike, just for the amazing view and vertigo-inducing ride over steep snow fields and huge, rocky cliffs. Whistler only sells a limited number of these tickets per day in order to limit the number of people in the sensitive alpine environment, but Shandro had arranged for an extra special treat for us - a lap down the brand new, not even open to the public yet "Top of the World" trail. The only other people on the trail were media people doing Whistler's sneak peak preview - not even Shandro had ridden it yet. Riding in the high alpine was incredible, and we were so focused on the trail that we almost forgot to take in the view. Top of the World drops you back into the Garbanzo zone in the bike park, and we made our way down to Freight Train. Shandro knew that I was frustrated at not riding Fade to Black and had remembered my request for a way to work my way up to the challenge, so he took our group over to the infamous container jump. Following him in so I could get the correct speed, I made the step-up onto the containers easily but was so amped by that point that I totally overshot the drop on the other side, missing the wood ramp entirely but still sticking the landing without any trouble. I was completely flying by that point - only five days earlier I had considered a jump like that to be completely out of my ability level, but SGC was a complete game changer for me.

Saturday was pretty low key - they pretty much just let you pick your own groups, grab a coach, and go ride. I had a couple friends who had been injured earlier in the week who I wanted to ride with, so we hooked up with SGC coach Steve Wilson and went to have some fun. The pace was definitely much slacker than the other days but we had a great time doing some filming with some guys from Lezyne (they're an SGC sponsor) and checking out some new trails, including the incredibly rowdy Goat's Gully. The day finished off with a farewell dinner when Shandro and the coaches handed out tons of door prizes - everyone got custom ODI grips, stickers, and JBL speakers, and some people got tires, goggles, floor pumps, and boxes of Clif bars. One lucky guy got a POC fullface helmet and another guy won a Fox 32 TALAS fork - and this is after we all got Dakine packs & t-shirts, Lezyne hand pumps, and goodies from Clif bar all week long. The schwag is definitely as advertised.

Overall it was a great experience. The atmosphere is awesome and everyone is really cool and approachable. The coaches do take the time to watch you ride and will work with you individually to get you to the next level. SGC totally exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to anyone. Don't be scared off if you're a novice rider. There were 2 novice groups there last week and my friend was in one of them, and they all showed tremendous improvement by the end of the week. My buddy has only been mountain biking for a year, and he capped off his camp by hitting the big GLC drop on Saturday. This is a guy who would previously walk down anything even remotely technical - SGC made that much of a difference!

I know I'm sounding like a total fanboy here, but seriously it was an amazing week. I'm still coming down off the high and my biggest concern right now is finding time to stay on the bike so I don't lose everything I learned. If you're on the fence about going to SGC, DO IT. You won't regret it. I'll definitely be going back if I have anything to say about it.

mtbr member
    Great review, sounds like a fun week.

I probably saw you there, I was there 7/20-7/27.

Congrats on the stuff you hit by the way - this trip was my first time there too & the runs you're describing are no joke.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    I am definitely signing up next year. My Whistler camp with a local coach fell through this year but I am still going to try to book with Ritchie Schley in September. Got to put that money aside for SGC next year.

si vis pacem...
    Quote Originally Posted by kamsbry View Post
    I am definitely signing up next year. My Whistler camp with a local coach fell through this year but I am still going to try to book with Ritchie Schley in September. Got to put that money aside for SGC next year.
    You won't regret it. Honestly it was the best thing I've ever done for my riding. It it seriously amazing how quickly you improve, and I know I'll definitely be going back. It ain't cheap but it's money well spent.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    anybody going july28 - august 4th from the Seattle area??

Off the back...
    I'm doing the July 28 - Aug 4 week, and I've been to Seattle. Does that count?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast