Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    haha see you there man, is this your first time going or you've been before?? I just gotta get my new rig because I don't think my scapegoat 2010 would be enough for the bigger stuff. specialized demo 1 will do better I think

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Of you've never been, the rental fleet is really nice. Ill be there the next week.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Qmed036 View Post
    haha see you there man, is this your first time going or you've been before?? I just gotta get my new rig because I don't think my scapegoat 2010 would be enough for the bigger stuff. specialized demo 1 will do better I think
    First time there. I'm taking my Aurum, and all the armor I can possibly fit on my body - full gladiator.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    First time there. I'm taking my Aurum, and all the armor I can possibly fit on my body - full gladiator.
    Nice. I gotta get some body armor myself. are you staying at provided hotel?? or somewhere else?

RideDirt
    Man you guys are lucky ! ENjoy it

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Qmed036 View Post
    Nice. I gotta get some body armor myself. are you staying at provided hotel?? or somewhere else?
    I'm staying in the provided hotel, sharing with a buddy and buddy's buddy. Seems cheap, and I have earplugs.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    May 2013
    sounds good. I'll see you there

si vis pacem...
    Staying at the Tantalizer (the SGC hotel) is a blast. It's not the nicest hotel but its great hanging out with the other campers at the end of the day and sharing war stories.

We'll be heading back this year as well, but we're doing week 2 (Aug 4-10) so we'll miss you. If anyone else is heading out for week 2, let me know and maybe we can link up for a few laps. You guys are going to have a great time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anybody here going to ADULT SGC 2014?

mtbr member
    Hmm. Want to go badly this year, not sure if I can fit it in yet. Will probably just try to make several weekend trips up this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i really wanted to go. only hesitation is i don't know anybody else that is going. will i be out of place? and i new to DH/FR. only been riding for 2 yrs so i am not good at all. and by the way i am 34.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kamsbry View Post
    Hmm. Want to go badly this year, not sure if I can fit it in yet. Will probably just try to make several weekend trips up this year.
    kamsbry i wish i could do just that. i am at a disadvantage geographically.

Off the back...
    I'm heading there again this year, and I'm taking my wife. It was a blast last year, and I learned a tonne. It doesn't matter if you're an ex-pro or have never been on a bike before, you will learn something new. The oldest camper in our week was a 62 year old grandma who had never mtn biked before. Most of us were in our 30s and 40s, and from all over: US, NZ, Oz, Spain, Singapore, Austria, Mexico, SA, etc. Lots of single riders, but everybody makes friends by the end of the first day. The coaches were all pretty good, although I heard that anyone in Shandro's group needed to clean out their shorts every couple of laps. Worth every penny, and then some.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that is very convincing. might as well go. are you on the first or 2nd camp?

Off the back...
    First camp. I can't imagine trying to pick through the crowds during Crankworx.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

si vis pacem...
    I'm heading back to SGC this year as well, with a few buddies. Should be 3 or 4 of us going for Adult week 2. We did week 2 last year too and it definitely gets busier towards the end of the week with Crankworx starting, but it's only for the last day or so and with the SGC lift line priority we really didn't notice it at all. Plus it was pretty rad watching Kirt Voreis, who had been our coach earlier in the week, compete in the Speed & Style Dual race on Saturday. No idea what the coach lineup looks like for this year yet, but last year's was top shelf. Got Kirt Voreis for 2 days, Kyle Jameson for 2 days, Thomas Vanderham for a day, and Shandro for the last day. Shandro definitely likes to push you and see you apply what you've learned, but it's awesome. I guess we were supposed to have Wade Simmons as well but he had to back out because his wife was having a baby. Sucks we missed him but congrats to them and hopefully we'll get him this year. Regardless of which week you pick, you will learn a tonne and you will come away from it a better rider. Don't worry if you're just starting out. My first day of SGC in 2012 was the first time I had ever sat on a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i am going to my first SGC this year i can't wait.

Off the back...
    Woot! Let the good times roll! I keep hinting at Silver Star to do a big kid's week, and I'll be heading out there too if they put it on.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I will be going to week 1 this year for my first time. Just got a new DH bike... cant wait.

Donkey Puncher
    SGC was not just a game changer, it was a life changer. My first time on a DH bike was at SGC 2012 (with Parabellum -- a few replies up) we made tons of friends and now use it as our "man-cation" to reunite with friends from all over. As far as skills increasing... I am racing the BC cup series this season and a couple of regional races... last years camp I was watching guys compete in Crankworx...this year I am competing in it. I turn 46 in April. Don't wait to dream your dream.
    Last edited by VanGor44; 02-15-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo

jpmoore
    Apr 2014
    I'm primarily a trail/AM rider but doing this camp to get into downhill. I'm going for my first SGC this summer, week 2. I have never been on a DH bike before or too a bike park for that matter. Just wondering if anybody had some first time advice.

Also, I'm going by myself so definitely looking to meet some fellow riders. Let me know!

si vis pacem...
    First time advice...hmmmm. Probably a few things to think about:

Be honest which category of rider you are. They use the ratings to put together riders of similar skill so the groups will be pretty close in ability and will be able to learn together and push each other. The first year we went to SGC there were a couple guys who just wanted to ride with certain coaches so they followed groups that were over their heads instead of going where they were assigned. The coaches would strongly suggest that they drop down a level and ride with a group that was more their speed, but they would keep coming back because the coach of the "lower" group was maybe someone less famous and they wanted to ride with the rock star coach instead. That's total BS - ALL of the coaches at SGC have forgotten more about mountain biking than I'll ever know in my lifetime, and unless you're winning the FMB tour or the World Cup title every year you can learn something from any one of them. On the other side of the coin, last year we had an Australian kid in our group who was riding at a semi-pro level and smoked us all, but he wanted to stay with us because our group had a great vibe. Either way, you will probably get the most out of the camp if you ride with a group you're fitted to because the instruction will be aimed at the things you need to improve. Let the coaches do their jobs.

Don't be afraid to try new things. Some of the instruction you will get might seem weird or counterintuitive, but try it anyway. Last year Kirt Voreis taught us about countersteering into turns and made us spend the entire morning doing turning drills around rocks. At the time it seemed like the most ridiculous thing ever, but when I tried it on the trail it was amazing the difference it made. Have confidence in your own abilities too, and use the instruction you get to push your limits. The instructors are pretty savvy - they'll quickly get a pretty good idea of what you are capable of riding so even if they suggest something you normally wouldn't think about trying, you might want to give it a shot. They certainly don't want to get anyone hurt, so if they tell you they think you can do something, you probably can. When Vangor and I went to SGC in 2012 it was the first time we had ever sat on DH bikes, and since then (with the help of the coaches) we have ridden stuff like Filthy Ape, Dwayne Johnson, and Fade to Black. You will surprise yourself.

Listen to your body. Six straight days of non-stop riding is pretty demanding physically. By Wednesday you will likely be dog tired and your hands will be hamburger. Don't be afraid to sit out for a run or two if you need a rest - if you ride when you're exhausted you WILL pay the consequences. The coaches are usually pretty aware of this and will dial the pace back if they see the group is fading, but by mid-week you will be brimming with confidence from all the stuff you've learned and may not be fully aware of how tired you actually are. There is no shame in quitting early or dropping down to spin some laps with a less aggressive group if you're not feeling up for whatever your crew is riding - it's better to bring it down a notch, recover a bit, and join up with your group again the next day when you're feeling fresh. Be mindful of your energy level, and don't put yourself in danger.

Have fun! SGC can be intimidating, especially for a first timer. That first morning when you show up and get grouped with a bunch of new people and you're staring at guys like Chris Kovarik and Thomas Vanderham and realize they're going to be your coaches, you will probably start to wonder what you have gotten yourself into. Relax. You don't need to impress anyone, just focus on what the coaches are teaching you and ride for yourself. 90% of the people are super laid back and you will make some awesome new friends. Enjoy the experience!

Look us up if you feel like it. We're in the Advanced group - I'll be the guy on the white Knolly Podium and Vangor will be the cloud of dust halfway down the hill before the rest of us are even off the chair. See you out there!

Off the back...
    First time advice:
    Don't overestimate your ability. If you've been riding for a while and can ride down everything you normally encounter on regular trails, intermediate should work. If that's wrong, they will move you to a different group. I moved groups 4 times in 4 days. Just go with it.
    Listen to your coaches, they are really good.
    Take some time to dial in your suspension in the first couple of days.
    Do the Top of the World ride on the last day, but skip the extended bit down to Creekside and take the option to head back into the resort.
    Get hammered with your coaches on the last night after dinner.
    Eat at the Furniture Warehouse [assuming it's still there].
    Put your pads in the sun to dry, let the UV kill the stench.
    Don't be concerned if you have no idea who your coaches are.
    If you want to work on a specific aspect of your riding, ASK! If you're bad at drops or chunder or steeps or whatever, you can ask the coaches for pointers starting on Day 2 [day 1 is evaluation].
    Relax, have fun, don't get drunk at lunch.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

jpmoore
    Apr 2014
    Really appreciate the advice guys! I was thinking about putting myself as intermediate since I feel like I can comfortably handle steep rocky sections of my local trails (Northern New Jersey), but I ultimately went on the safe side and put novice. I've never been on a DH bike so I imagine the geometry is slightly different, but I've been riding mountain bikes and dirtbikes for awhile so maybe I'll be more comfortable than I think. Either way, just trying to play it safe to start. I figured that if they watch me day 1 and I'm better than I think than I'll move to intermediate. I'll trust the coaches.

Another question, gear/protection? Right now, I'm thinking obviously full face helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and some padded shorts. I also have the 5.10 freerider shoes. I mean, is that good enough? Do I really need a fully padded flak jacket and neck brace right off the bat?

Finally, the rentals. I did the performance bike rental package (hey, when in rome right?). How are the bikes?

Thanks for the advice guys! Really helpful.

Off the back...
    I wear a pack while riding, so I ditched the spine protector. I did eat it on A-line, so I was glad to have shoulder pads. I own a neck brace, but didn't wear it at the camp. The premium rental looks like a Session. . I'm not sure what they'll have this year, but the rental fleet will be in place by mid-May.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

si vis pacem...
    Protection runs the gamut - you'll see everything from full stormtrooper suits to the park rats wearing wifebeaters and board shorts. I usually wear knee pads and a neck brace, and I'll wear arm guards if I know we're going to be doing something gnarly and I think there's a good chance I'll crash. Definitely wear a full-face, but other than that you should wear whatever level of protection makes you feel comfortable and confident. I wore a pack the first year, then went without it last year - vastly prefer riding without. While you're in the park you're never far from help anyway. I did take a pack when we did Top Of The World and I recommend you do too - you'll be out there for a while so you'll want snacks/water and it's a looooong walk back if you have a mechanical and can't fix it. I know someone in an earlier post said to skip the extended run down to Creekside and come back through the park instead, but I'd recommend the opposite. There are some amazing trails in the Khyber Pass area and last year a couple groups even got to do Ride Don't Slide. If you're up for the challenge, don't miss out on the opportunity - it's what you're there for! The grunt back to the village is a little rough though. Pounding pavement on a 40lb DH bike sucks.

As far as the premium rental goes - you'll be getting a decent bike. Last year a lot of them were carbon Sessions. Even the "default" rental is a Giant Glory, so it's not like you'll be getting some ghetto lead sled from 2002. It's nice machinery.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmoore View Post
    Really appreciate the advice guys! I was thinking about putting myself as intermediate since I feel like I can comfortably handle steep rocky sections of my local trails (Northern New Jersey), but I ultimately went on the safe side and put novice. I've never been on a DH bike so I imagine the geometry is slightly different, but I've been riding mountain bikes and dirtbikes for awhile so maybe I'll be more comfortable than I think. Either way, just trying to play it safe to start. I figured that if they watch me day 1 and I'm better than I think than I'll move to intermediate. I'll trust the coaches.

Another question, gear/protection? Right now, I'm thinking obviously full face helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and some padded shorts. I also have the 5.10 freerider shoes. I mean, is that good enough? Do I really need a fully padded flak jacket and neck brace right off the bat?

Finally, the rentals. I did the performance bike rental package (hey, when in rome right?). How are the bikes?

Thanks for the advice guys! Really helpful.
    I see you mentioned you are in NNJ as i am too. You should hit up Mountain Creek and do some sessions, so you can get a feel of what DH is about. There is a huge difference between riding trails in Ringwood and DH trails , the bikes geo is different.

For protection grab what you can, i usually ride with just knee pads and my full face helmet only but i know it holds me back sometimes on some sketchy things, i tend to ride less cautious when suited up. I would skip the neck brace unless you plan on hitting some of the big jumps and drops. A fully padded jacket i would recommend if you know you guys will be riding some serious rock gardens and steep off camber trails.

I plan on hitting up Mtn Creek , its been a while since i been back on a DH bike after my crash i had that messed me up. So if you wanna hit some trails at a tame pace, lemme know.

mtbr member
    Go with the protection you feel most comfortable with. I ride with kneepads 90% of the time so that is just standard for me. For Whistler I generally use armor top like the Troy Lee, Poc or Leatt 3df (just ordered a new one). Soft armor is so much more comfortable than the hard plastic stuff. It's only going to be my 3rd season riding the park so I occasionally go down and having full protection up top has really helped. Full face helmets are your best friend, I just got a new one after cracking my Fox at a DH race a few weeks ago.

Agree on the pack-less riding. I just keep a credit card, ID and cash in my DH shorts and leave the pack in the room or a locker at the base.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jpmoore- I sent you a private message

Off the back...
    Question for y'all that ride without packs - do you carry anything with you to fix your bike? What happens if you get a flat at the top of the hill?
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last year, I bought an "Amphipod" fannypack and stuffed it with all of my tools, tube, CO2, ID, etc and it was great. Didn't have to take it off for lifts, etc. It's become my "go-to" for my DH rides now. It's super low profile and I really doubt anyone even knew I was wearing it.

Amphipod Airflow Endurance Waistpack at REI.com

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    Last year, I bought an "Amphipod" fannypack and stuffed it with all of my tools, tube, CO2, ID, etc and it was great. Didn't have to take it off for lifts, etc. It's become my "go-to" for my DH rides now. It's super low profile and I really doubt anyone even knew I was wearing it.

Amphipod Airflow Endurance Waistpack at REI.com

I can't believe Shandro let you in with that...!

jk...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

jpmoore
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for all the responses and advice. I actually went out and got elbow pads, knee pads, and a full face helmet. Elbows, I got the Dainese trail skins. They are just enough protection, not overly expensive, and low profile enough to fit under sleeves. Granted, I'll probably hardly ever wear them on the trail or when I do an enduro race, but to start out DH I figured I'm better safe than sorry. Pack or no pack; I figure I'll start out day 1 with the pack and if I find I don't need it just leave it in the room the rest of the days. I've never not ridden without a hydration pack so I'm pretty used to it at this point.

Those rentals sound awesome! I'm just overall pumped to get there and just start learning and riding. Is it August 2nd yet???

AEDUBBER, where in NJ are you from? I'll let you know when I'm planning to head to MCBP. I normally ride Blue Mountain in Peekskill, NY as I don't have a dedicated DH bike, but I'm planning to upgrade the suspension soon on my SB66 so I'll let you know.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmoore View Post
    Thanks for all the responses and advice. I actually went out and got elbow pads, knee pads, and a full face helmet. Elbows, I got the Dainese trail skins. They are just enough protection, not overly expensive, and low profile enough to fit under sleeves. Granted, I'll probably hardly ever wear them on the trail or when I do an enduro race, but to start out DH I figured I'm better safe than sorry. Pack or no pack; I figure I'll start out day 1 with the pack and if I find I don't need it just leave it in the room the rest of the days. I've never not ridden without a hydration pack so I'm pretty used to it at this point.

Those rentals sound awesome! I'm just overall pumped to get there and just start learning and riding. Is it August 2nd yet???

AEDUBBER, where in NJ are you from? I'll let you know when I'm planning to head to MCBP. I normally ride Blue Mountain in Peekskill, NY as I don't have a dedicated DH bike, but I'm planning to upgrade the suspension soon on my SB66 so I'll let you know.
    I'm up north by Wayne/ Ringwood area. Mountain Creek is like 30 minutes from me. Well I don't have a bike since I sold my Demo 8 last year so I will have to rent up at Creek, they have a new fleet of Demo 8 bikes ; ) . I can give you a tour of the place or if I run into a couple buddies we can ride with some pro riders.

mtbr member
    If you're in the camps someone should be able to help you with a mechanical. If you're on your own near the top of fitz you can catch the gondola down, lower down you can walk down the road if you can get to it, not too far. Or offer a stranger for a tube lol, I've given people a tube and they gave me a new tube and 6 pack at the bottom

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    If you're in the camps someone should be able to help you with a mechanical. If you're on your own near the top of fitz you can catch the gondola down, lower down you can walk down the road if you can get to it, not too far. Or offer a stranger for a tube lol, I've given people a tube and they gave me a new tube and 6 pack at the bottom
    Don't expect the coaches to help you. That's not their roll, they're not a sag wagon. Every minute they waste on you is a minute less of riding and coaching that the others aren't getting, yet paid for. You should be self supported and able to maintain your own equipment.

mtbr member
    Signed up for the first adult camp. Started riding in to work 2-3 days a week 26km each way. Finally got my dh sorted and rode half Nelson 2 weeks ago and fit in a CBC to pangor lap on Saturday. Gonna run some bobsled laps this week and hope to get up to whistler soon. Need to make sure I'm ready for that many whistler days in a row. Hope to fit in some runs to the new gravity park as we'll. Should be a great summer of biking.

Don't know that I'd describe myself as advanced but I seem to fit the sgc description of it. Comfortable on north shore trails. Can wheelie into the sunset but can't manual for **** (go figure) Ride whistler a couple times per year. Love a-line, freight train etc. mostly comfortable in the air, though it's probably the thing I want to work on the most at the camp.

Donkey Puncher
    Arai... you'll be fine in that category....to anyone else curious about their category and how well they will fit...don't worry about it! At ANY time you can move up or down to any skill level group that suits you best. Some guys with wicked skills sometimes need to do a run or two in a lower skilled group just to get their confidence where it needs to be and shake off the "whistler SGC bug" (Nervousness for being at whistler for the first time or being in an unknown group environment) At the end of it all, you'll leave a waaaay better rider, and have a ton more new friends.

mtbr member
    Jealous. Heading up tomorrow afternoon to ride for the weekend but would really like to do the camp. Don't think it is the budget this year however.

mtbr member
    Made it up to whistler today. Beautiful 26 degree weather. Haha will be interesting how I'll survive 6 days at the park.

I consider myself in shape, gym 3 times a week, ride 50km on the road bike 3 times a week. But a full day ripping whistler in 26 degrees is tiring. I'm going to be in bed by 8pm. I'm sure you just get used to it after a couple days.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by arai View Post
    But a full day ripping whistler in 26 degrees is tiring. I'm going to be in bed by 8pm. I'm sure you just get used to it after a couple days.
    If you spend a day at Whistler, and you're NOT tired, there is something wrong with you. That's for sure.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by arai View Post
    Made it up to whistler today. Beautiful 26 degree weather. Haha will be interesting how I'll survive 6 days at the park.

I consider myself in shape, gym 3 times a week, ride 50km on the road bike 3 times a week. But a full day ripping whistler in 26 degrees is tiring. I'm going to be in bed by 8pm. I'm sure you just get used to it after a couple days.
    Unless your workouts involve 30 minute wall sits and dangling from a pull up bar for hours, then there's not a whole lot you can do to prepare for the abuse the bike park puts on your body. If you don't have massive blood blisters on your hands after the first day, then you're doing it wrong...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anybody here doing August 1-8 SGC adult 2015? i am very excited to go.

Based on what i read from here, i will be bringing my own bike and gear.

It would be nice to at least know somebody who is also going. It will be my first time going to Canada and i am going solo.

I am a US permanent resident, not a citizen. I know i only needed my green card and passport to enter Canada but if anybody here who was in the same situation, I would like to hear/know your experience and far as boring crossing goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I did that in 2009 as a resident also, driving from Las Vegas, depending on where are you from, (some countries don't need visa to enter Canada, some do) you should not have a problem, get ready to have the time of your life on a bike!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tagabalay View Post
    anybody here doing August 1-8 SGC adult 2015? i am very excited to go.

Based on what i read from here, i will be bringing my own bike and gear.

It would be nice to at least know somebody who is also going. It will be my first time going to Canada and i am going solo.

I am a US permanent resident, not a citizen. I know i only needed my green card and passport to enter Canada but if anybody here who was in the same situation, I would like to hear/know your experience and far as boring crossing goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    lokomonkey thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123