mtbr member

New question here. Storage for phone/keys/etc during park days

For most of the season, I've been wearing a hydro pack on park days - I toss my keys, my wallet and my phone in there for emergencies along with some snack and such.

I grabbed a season pass to my local park this year (Highland) and have started wearing body armor and a neck brace. I love the extra protection, but wearing those + pads + FF helmet along with a hydro pack is less than ideal, it's bulky as hell.

I have no problem leaving a water bottle at the bottom of the lift, but I'd like to keep my phone and keys on me somewhere secure from crashes. My bike (2015 glory) has no storage on it to speak of - not even a cage mount - and I don't want to just stick either in the pockets of my shorts for the obvious reasons.

I end up doing a lot of work email nonsense during the trip up the lift, and like taking a lot of pics and such during the ride so I'd really like to keep my phone and keys on me at minimum.

What are you folks doing for keeping this stuff secure and handy for the day?
    Trail: Trance / Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Glory / Fatboy
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

"Aah the great indoors - No One Ever"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've given up on carrying a phone with me. They're so large and bulky, and my newest phone was $930. I'm not carrying that with me. I've actually thought about getting a cheap-o phone to carry just in case, but it's just not that important at a bike park, imho...

Keys are another story... I had a friend get a car key jammed into his knee cap while skateboarding, so I do not carry keys in my pocket while doing anything remotely active.

I carry a multi-tool, small weed kit, and my ID and CC in my pockets and that's it. No backpack for bike park days.

mtbr member
    I had a y-wrench multitool in my pocket many years ago (BMX days as a kid). I slid out into a corner and the 10mm socket end of it went straight into my thigh. I still have a scar ~20 years later. My keys are just a detachable fob these days but I totally know what you mean.
    Trail: Trance / Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Glory / Fatboy
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

"Aah the great indoors - No One Ever"

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I always keep a house key in my wallet, that goes in a zippered pocket in the back of my shorts. On the few occasions I drive to the trail, I replace that key with my car key. The key always faces out, away from my ass. No good way to carry an expensive phone.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    As nice as it would be to ride without anything weighing me down, I've just resigned myself to wearing a pack. I don't carry water, but I always carry my keys, phone, multi-tool, spare tube, pump, food and depending on the weather a spare set of gloves and jacket. Add in a shock pump if I'm doing any suspension setup/tuning.

I guess I'll never be one of the cool park rat bros that show up with nothing more than a tank top, but you also won't see me wasting an hour walking down the entire mountain because I got a flat either.

I'm sure it's a bit of carry over from decades of back country rides where you have to be self sufficient, but if I'm paying to ride the lifts, I'm all about getting in as many runs as possible, so carrying some essentials keeps me going. I can fix any issues trail side, eat on the lift, and not call it quits if it starts pissing down rain.

I recently picked up an EVOC pack with a built in back protector. It's pretty darn comfortable and secure (doesn't flop around), and the closeout price of $60 was a lot better than the original $175. I figured if I'm wearing a pack, might as well have one that gives me a bit of added protection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    For park days I only carry the truck key. I strap a water bottle to the top tube with velcro straps for the ride down to the lift, then leave the water bottle, wrap the key in the velcro straps and keep it in a small zippered pocket in the side of my shorts. The pocket sits over my padded shorts so hopefully I won't get stabbed with the key in a crash. I don't carry anything else, so if the bike breaks (I don't know how to fix it anyways) I'm doing the walk of shame.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    https://spibelt.com/shop/spibelt/the-original-spibelt/

These work great for this. Stays nicely tucked away, out of the way, isn't bulky.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

May The Force Be With You
    I wear a Camelback

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    why not get a topeak aero wedge that attaches under the rear or your seat. I keep these on all of my bikes. Out of my way, doesnt interefere with a dropper, and keeps the weight off of my body. I have a medium on my trail bike that can hold my iphone(or a multitool) and my keys no problem. I keep a large on my family xc bike so I can keep a rag and multitool in addition to the medium items. You might be able to get away with a small depending on your phone size. Most LBS have them instock or Amazon has all hte sizes for $15-25.

Pro Crastinator
    Awesome Strap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    Awesome Strap
    I'm surprised it took a whole 10 posts to get to that answer.

Pro Crastinator
    too many people underestimate the convenience of a pocket. sure some of you have "heard stories", but we have all fucked ourselves up pretty good while biking, but yet we are still here doing it...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    why not get a topeak aero wedge that attaches under the rear or your seat. I keep these on all of my bikes. Out of my way, doesnt interefere with a dropper, and keeps the weight off of my body. I have a medium on my trail bike that can hold my iphone(or a multitool) and my keys no problem. I keep a large on my family xc bike so I can keep a rag and multitool in addition to the medium items. You might be able to get away with a small depending on your phone size. Most LBS have them instock or Amazon has all hte sizes for $15-25.
    Not a good option for a downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I'm surprised it took a whole 10 posts to get to that suggestion.
    Fixed.

Pro Crastinator
    wrong. the awesome strap is ALWAYS the answer...

old school...
    Camelbak lobo (older) over the back protector. Keys, wallet and phone in the Camelbak. Lobo is quite compact and padded protecting the phone.
    I love the smell of TF2 chain lube in the morning.

Glad to Be Alive
    i always use my Camel pack and wear full armor (I drink a lot of water)..it doesn't bother me because you get use to it......some guys are using fanny packs now daysStorage for phone/keys/etc during park days-bw2.jpgbw3.JPG
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaan View Post
    Not a good option for a downhill bike.
    Agreed. Many DH bikes have little to no clearance between the back tire and the back of the seat at full bottom out. A seat pack would probably get shredded or torn off on the first hard landing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Small fanny pack. Tucks up under your jersey. May not seem cool, but nobody ever notices.

https://www.rei.com/product/776506/a...ance-waistpack

mtbr member
    I love this thing to death. It expands to whatever you put in it so itís never bigger than what you carry.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Spib...CABEgIdQvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I used to carry my phone in my pocket and hoped for the best. It has survived crashes, including a pretty good high speed crash and one that resulted in a concussion.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I'm on my trail bike at the trail head and I tell a local rider "ok, have a good ride" and I clip in to take off. I stalled right then and there and fell over onto my phone. Destroyed.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    I'm on my trail bike at the trail head and I tell a local rider "ok, have a good ride" and I clip in to take off. I stalled right then and there and fell over onto my phone. Destroyed.
    That's clipless for you.

mtbr member
    I think you guys are overthinking things? Multi tool in left pocket, phone in right, sometimes carry wallet or just bit of cash or a card in a zippered pocket, no problems here. Phone in a fairly beefy case has held up fine to many crashes. I do 80-100 lift days/summer. Hide keys in truck usually lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Hide keys in truck usually.
    Nice truck? Where do you park it?

mtbr member
    This. Canít even tell I have it on. Fits a phone credit cards and keys.

SPIbelt Sports / Running Belt: Original - No-Bounce Running Belt for Runners, Athletes and Adventurers - Fits iPhone 6 and Other Large Phones, Lime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1HBBPU..._rsp8zb1RVVT4V

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Hide keys in truck usually lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    I do this as well. Usually stick em up in the suspension linkage.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    You can use an old grip as a plug and stick them in your seatpost.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Storage for phone/keys/etc during park days-dog-doing-his-business-woods.jpg

coincidence? discuss...

old school...
    I love the smell of TF2 chain lube in the morning.

Keep on Rockin...
    Multi tool in pocket only.

Haven't flatted since running DH tubeless with foam inserts.

Our local DH is not busy so I can park where I like, which is between the bottom of the run and the lift. I keep a jug of water on the bumper.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just put them in your car. No one ever breaks in to those.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Brackish
    I uave been using a cheap sports fanny pack from WalMart at Highland this year, no problems. Phone, wallet and keys on the pack, maybe a clif bar, Nalgene at the base of the lift. The runs are so short there that a pack is really unnecessary.