mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stick with single crown or go to dual crown for small rider?

Hi everyone.

I just picked up a new DH bike for my girlfriend for the northstar season. It came with a domain R on the front (180) which seems alright, but obviously not the best fork out there. If I was to put a new fork on, should I stay with the single crown, or move her up to a dual crown monster?

Weight is a consideration as she's only 115-120 with gear.

If I go with a single crown, what are everyone's recommendations (VAN, totem, etc?).

The last option I read is to add the compression damper to the domain. Has anyone done this with good results?

mtbr member
    IMO it all depends on the type of trails she is going to ride and air vs coil option she wants to go with. With her size a Fox 36 air or Totem air would be fine. If she is going the ride to gnarly stuff on the regular a coil SC is in order, but with the weight penalty it's just as well to go DC and get the extra stiffness. She will lose some manuverability in slow techy sections, but I don't know how strong a rider your girls is (skill, not strength).

Huffy Rider
    My experience with the Totem Air. I love the fork, now that I re-shimmed it, but I am not sure if you will be able to get the sag anywhere near 25% with her low weight. I am 150+ geared up and I am at 40 lbs of air, anything below 38% and there isn't enough air to hold up the fork. I would run less air if I could. Does that make sense?

I am looking for a X-soft coil, when I find one (cheap) I will convert.

As far a a DC, it really depends on the type of riding. I went SC for a reason, the trails I ride are very technical, tight, twisty, and I like to jump. I felt like I might be "lugging" the DC around. I do wish I had one for certain lift days, but it would only be a few days of my total DH riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I do wish I had one for certain lift days, but it would only be a few days of my total DH riding.
    Motochick, do you have a DH damper in your Totem?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    personally, I find women tend to want the front end to be lighter on DH bikes.. my wife ride a fox vanilla 180 and it works well for her
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Huffy Rider
    Yes, DH damper that I re-shimmed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Yes, DH damper that I re-shimmed.
    I ask because ever since I installed a DH damper and rebound shaft in my Totem (coil), it feels right at home anywhere.
    Yeah, I reconfigure and stiffened my shim stack too. Made a world of difference!

Life Is Short
    I don't compare women to men riders regarding equipment, thats like comparing african-american riders to caucasian riders. Everyone is equal in my book.

For full-on, no doubt in your mind trail riding and dh, I'd get a dual crown. Since the bike has an entry-level Domain, the bike probably isn't very high-end so a Marzocchi
    dual crown will be fine. Happy riding!
    Ride More, Eat More

usually cranky
    ^lol, its a matter of size and strength, not equality. id think a single crown would be fine, a domain is a beefy fork.

pin it
    I have a Fox 180 on my Transition Syren. I do small to intermediate drops. I like how the SC is quick and responsive in tight gnarly trails. I demoed a Scott DC at Mont Ste Anne. I found that it fast in the chudder sections and was smooth on jumps. But my personal choice is the SC because it's lighter and I prefer a quicker response.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I switch between an SC freeride bike and a DC downhill bike at Whistler. Ride all of the same trails on each, just depends on my mood. The SC Totem handles pretty much everything without a hitch - it's just a different kind of riding. If I could only pick one, it'd be a toss up.

The playfulness / fun of the steeper FR bike with SC is pretty great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thans for the replies guys! I think I'll be looking at a SC for her. She just tried the domain this last weekend and did not like it. Too harsh with only the rebound dampening.

Huffy Rider
    I just got back from riding Snow Summit on my Totem and the re-shim I did was AMAZING! I hadn't had a chance to ride it in a place with a ton of braking bumps to see if it smoothed them out. (before it was painful to ride thru them) Now it is like butter, so smooth and pain free. Feels great on small chatter, love it!