mtbr member

Stem Size & Offset Post

What's up all?
    I'm looking to make some changes to the ride and wanted to get a little input before I open the wallet. I want to stretch out the cockpit on my Session a little with a longer stem and offset post. I'm not really concerned about what effect the offset post is going to have with getting behind the seat, but I am concerned about moving from a 50mm to a 65mm stem. How much if any is it going to effect my steering? I'm thinking I may have to nix the offset and just go with the 65mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How tall are you? What size is your bike? How wide of bars do you run currently? Is wider an option? Wider bars will help give a more "stretched out" feel.

How long have you had the bike? Maybe you just need to get used to the size?
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    How tall are you? What size is your bike? How wide of bars do you run currently? Is wider an option? Wider bars will help give a more "stretched out" feel.

How long have you had the bike? Maybe you just need to get used to the size?
    5'11 tweener, Med Session 22.9 ER, currant bars 745 have been thinking of 750. I had the Session for year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What difference is an offset post going to make on a dh bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe View Post
    What difference is an offset post going to make on a dh bike?
    Right, it's just there to keep me from getting impaled throught the rectum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not sure if that's sarcasm, but it was a serious question. Some people use the seat more than others. If the bike feels too small, its because the reach is too short. For most people, an offset seat post won't do anything, and a longer stem will have other more important effects (steering feel). Wider bars might help, and an angle set might help you stretch out by letting you get out over the front end more. Have you ever ridden a longer bike?

bike rider
    For many years I used the stock 88 stem that's I think 63mm. I switched to a 45mm and liked some traits but felt like it had a kind of weird turning feel and made it more difficult to keep the front end weighted and avoid washing out in turns. After 2 years on that I switched to a 50mm and love it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe View Post
    Not sure if that's sarcasm, but it was a serious question. Some people use the seat more than others. If the bike feels too small, its because the reach is too short. For most people, an offset seat post won't do anything, and a longer stem will have other more important effects (steering feel). Wider bars might help, and an angle set might help you stretch out by letting you get out over the front end more. Have you ever ridden a longer bike?
    No sarcasm, saying you are right about functionality of a seat on a DH bike.
    Yes, I have owned and ridden longer bikes. Actually most of my bikes have been Lg frames. While I don't feel over the bars and I can get good weight on the front; due to my average leg length I can't get behind the seat when it gets hairy. The Med solves that, but leaves me to far over the front in attack positon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    For many years I used the stock 88 stem that's I think 63mm. I switched to a 45mm and liked some traits but felt like it had a kind of weird turning feel and made it more difficult to keep the front end weighted and avoid washing out in turns. After 2 years on that I switched to a 50mm and love it.
    I have a 50mm on the my bike now. The steering feels good, but I have to be very conscious of my body position and have to be a little more up right.

EMR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would try wider bars. I'm your height, but on a different bike (yeti 303 rdh... their tt does run longer). I ran a 40mm stem and 780 bars last year and will be running the same stem with 800 bars this year. I tried many stem lengths (55, 50, 45, 40) and really like the 40 mm with wider bars. Forget trying 750 bars, there are many good bars in the 780+ range that will change your ride for the better.

mtbr member
    Ok, if new bars is the something I need then what type of rise am I looking at in a 780 bar. In fond of 20mm rise, but I'm willing to try higher or lower.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're looking for a roomier feeling bike, you want wide and low. Flat if you want. I think an angle set to lengthen the wheelbase would help also.

EMR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    Ok, if new bars is the something I need then what type of rise am I looking at in a 780 bar. In fond of 20mm rise, but I'm willing to try higher or lower.
    I had chromag fubars osx last year, which are 780 w/ 25mm rise. My buddy rides the race face atlas which are 785 w/ 13mm rise, he loves them. My bars this year are enve DH, 800 wide w/ 23mm rise. They are a few others that are low and wide. Not sure of your budget, but if I didn't get the enve bars, I would have gotten the race face atlas stealth bar... Sexy bar at a reasonable price with many positive reviews. It also comes in tons of colors and a bigger rise.