mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Status II or Demo 8I ?

Ok, I've been riding trails on my stumpjumper for awhile now, but looking to do more. I feel like the bike is holding me back from the type of terrain I really want to bomb down. I want to get into DH'ing and looking for a good bike to thrash. The Status seems like a great entry level machine, but will I regret not going with a full blown race rig? Is the 135mm rear wheel strong enough for a heavy rider (6'1" 220lbs)? Is the $1k difference worth it in the long run? I plan to ride this bike mainly in San Luis Obispo, Ca and then bike parks when they open. Also, my LBS is a Specialized/Giant dealer which is why I'm looking at Specialized.

mtbr member
    Status will be more playful.

Demo will be more race oriented.

Take your pick.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    neither Sam Hill rides for Nukeproof now.....

kidding
    Status = taller and shorter
    Demo = longer and lower

if your trails are tighter and a bit slower and not super steep i'd get the status

if you trails are fast and steep I'd get the demo

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thank you guys for the input. I'm leaning towards the Status now.

brake later, pedal sooner
    "I plan to ride this bike mainly in San Luis Obispo, Ca and then bike parks when they open"

It's better to have enough and not need it, than not have enough and go over the limits.

I would get a Demo if you plan to ride parks and you have the money to spend. If you don't, The Status II would still be an awesome entry level DH bike if you are wanting to purchase new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smf805 View Post
    I plan to ride this bike mainly in San Luis Obispo, Ca and then bike parks when they open. Also, my LBS is a Specialized/Giant dealer which is why I'm looking at Specialized.
    It depends what you ride in SLO there are 3 VERY STEEP trails. No names please if you plan on riding those a bunch the Demo may be worth it. We are testing a Norco Aurum now and one tester has a Status he commented that the Norco likes the steeps more and needed to be ridden fast. $3300 isn't bad for the STATUS as a complete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    It depends what you ride in SLO there are 3 VERY STEEP trails. No names please if you plan on riding those a bunch the Demo may be worth it. We are testing a Norco Aurum now and one tester has a Status he commented that the Norco likes the steeps more and needed to be ridden fast. $3300 isn't bad for the STATUS as a complete.
    I was thinking the same thing. If you plan on riding the true gnarly DH trails, Demo might be the ticket. If you plan on riding Morning Glory and San Luis Mountain, the Status will be just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    neither Sam Hill rides for Nukeproof now.....

kidding
    Status = taller and shorter
    Demo = longer and lower

if your trails are tighter and a bit slower and not super steep i'd get the status

if you trails are fast and steep I'd get the demo
    i've seen this dude offer people handjobs for rides on their spesh's at blackrock.

real talk

DownhillBAWS
    It all depends on what you plan on riding. Personally I would go with the demo if I had the money cause its just awesome. Haha. Good luck

Uphill? What's that
    Since your lbs also carries Giant you owe it to yourself to check out the Glory. Not saying its better than the demo but you should ride as many bikes as you can before spending thousands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Well it's good to know there's people doing DH around here. One of the guys I ride with was trying to talk me out of getting a DH bike today. He claimed my Stumpjumper is more than sufficient for the riding in SLO county. I agree with his statement, but think there would be a significant difference in the way you would ride the trails with a long travel bike vs a 29'er xc bike. I imagine taking more direct lines and going a hell of a lot faster on a Demo...not to mention having more fun.

What's your opinion on this? Is it worth getting a DH bike for the trails we have around here? Or should I be renting one at the bike parks in the summer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Since your lbs also carries Giant you owe it to yourself to check out the Glory. Not saying its better than the demo but you should ride as many bikes as you can before spending thousands.
    Nice bike, but a few grand outta my price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The status is a hell of a good bike for the money. It'll be alot more playful than the demo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice bike, but a few grand outta my price range.
    Glory 2 is 3k+
    Glory 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Good call..looks to be around the same price as the Status 2 but I'm guessing the Giant would be better compared to the Demo. Between the Giant and Demo, do you think ~$1k more is worth the price of the Demo?

Uphill? What's that
    Good call..looks to be around the same price as the Status 2 but I'm guessing the Giant would be better compared to the Demo. Between the Giant and Demo, do you think ~$1k more is worth the price of the Demo?
    Personally I like the maestro suspension over the fsr. It seams to have a good balance of pop while still being able to handle the rough stuff.. And honestly I don't think the demo is worth a grand more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Theres a few One Ghost Musashi's floating around RM and pinkbike. That bike is amazing and rides awesome.

mtbr member
    Well it's good to know there's people doing DH around here. One of the guys I ride with was trying to talk me out of getting a DH bike today. He claimed my Stumpjumper is more than sufficient for the riding in SLO county. I agree with his statement, but think there would be a significant difference in the way you would ride the trails with a long travel bike vs a 29'er xc bike. I imagine taking more direct lines and going a hell of a lot faster on a Demo...not to mention having more fun.

What's your opinion on this? Is it worth getting a DH bike for the trails we have around here? Or should I be renting one at the bike parks in the summer?
    For this area, I think you really need 2 bikes. A trail/AM bike for most of SLO and a DH bike for the rough and steep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd go with the demo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ended up going with the Glory 2. I can't wait to get this thing on the mountain. However, I have a question regarding the rear shock....

Giant specs list this bike as coming with a Kage R. Mine came with a Vivid Air. Advantages or disadvantages of an air shock vs coil?

Uphill? What's that
    Congrat.s man. You are going to love that bike once you get it on the dirt. As far as the air vs. coil goes air shocks are lighter and you can adjust it to your weight without having to change springs. Some people say coils just feel better overall. I personally have never had an air shock on a D.H. Bike so I really can't give exacts.

mtbr member
    You scored with the Vivid Air.
    Get excited.
    People will debate coil vs air, but the Vivid is an awesome shock.
    Do you have a Vivid R2 or R2C?
    I'd run either one over a Kage R any day.
    Congrats on your new bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks, it's an R2. Now I just need to convert more friends over to ride some DH....pushing my bike to the top will get old.

mtbr member
    Nice I have a Norco I am testing now and will get a team Zerode back that will be "mine" until I can sell it. My 2013 rig should be ready in early March sometime I think!

Alot of guys around here got off the DH riding about 2-3 years ago. I have been here since 1997 and riding DH the whole time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Congratz, hope you enjoy it your new bike, i hope its awesome