mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Stand n mash or Sit n spin??

So what's more effective when you are already pooped near the end of a DH race run and you still have a 30 second sprint on flat ground to finish? (eg. Fontucky wall) Sit and spin at a higher cadence in an easy gear or stand and mash with a slower cadence in a harder gear?

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lay down in the fetal position and dream of beer!

Really though, I stand and mash, go tell you puke!

Moose Member
    Stand and mash for as long as you possibly can, and when you cant do it any longer, keep on pushing it. ITS A RACE MAN! if you wanna win you gotta go as hard as you can until you finish. once you finish you can vomit all you want....

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Mashing is inefficient, you are much better off learning how to pedal smoothly while in the standing position, that way you maximise both power and efficiency - watch the BMX racers, when sprinting there is very little "mashing". Also, my understanding is that standing up enables you to have a higher cadence in a chosen gear when compared to sitting down. Ideally when sprinting you want to keep you legs spinning at around 100rpm, and adjust the gear you are in accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

maker of trail
    considering that most DH bikes' seat position does not allow for an efficient "sit and spin", standing and "spinning" is the best way IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    With my level of fitness I normally go for the: "Hold on for dear life and collapse at the finish line"

Technically I guess it depends on your speed, the faster you go the more bhp you need over torque, so a higher cadence would be better.
    So if the finish is wide open you might be better sitting and spinning, whereas if the finish is tight, get on the pedals and accelerate using the extra torque.

(Some or all of the above may be b.s. it just came to me)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee ideki
    Mashing is inefficient, you are much better off learning how to pedal smoothly while in the standing position, that way you maximise both power and efficiency - watch the BMX racers, when sprinting there is very little "mashing". Also, my understanding is that standing up enables you to have a higher cadence in a chosen gear when compared to sitting down. Ideally when sprinting you want to keep you legs spinning at around 100rpm, and adjust the gear you are in accordingly.
    Some educated and useful stuff there. Thanks

mtbr member
    Stand and hammer... or mash

Slap happy crappiness
    Stand and sprint the wall at Fontana, always. It SUCKS, but ya gotta do it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Old school BMXer
    I'm sure there are going to be a lot of comments by people who aren't familiar with The Wall at Fontana.

Oh, and I do both, and it seems to work for me.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Stand up, but learn how to put it all down.

Before you drop down to your smallest cog start about 3 or 4 gears lower and don't shift down to a higher gear until you have spun the gear you're on. If done correctly this will allow you to sustain the effort longer, spending less energy while moving faster.

There's alot of science that has researched this matter and this seems to be the skinny of it.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and learn to be efficient and fluid even while straining your hardest.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    I ride my mountain bike on the street often. I practice what has been said about maximizing energy going to the wheel while standing and "mashing." When trying to make green lights from a looooong way back, standing and spinning is the way to do it. Try taking a little air out of your tires for an even better workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Failure is an opportunity.
    If you blame someone else,
    there is no end to the blame.

Therefore the Master
    fulfills her own obligations
    and corrects her own mistakes.
    She does what she needs to do
    and demands nothing of others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1 View Post
    Stand up, but learn how to put it all down.

Before you drop down to your smallest cog start about 3 or 4 gears lower and don't shift down to a higher gear until you have spun the gear you're on. If done correctly this will allow you to sustain the effort longer, spending less energy while moving faster.

There's alot of science that has researched this matter and this seems to be the skinny of it.

Practice, Practice, Practice, and learn to be efficient and fluid even while straining your hardest.
    Could you explain this again? I'm having a hard time understanding the beginning. Iam interested.

Glad to Be Alive
    the fontana wall...I have found I get better times trying to spin more in 7 or 8th gear then running full mashing in 9th....I spin real hard in the beginning and maintain the cadence/speed in 7th or 8th
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

'Tis but a scratch
    OK, I'll bite...What's the Fontana Wall?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    OK, I'll bite...What's the Fontana Wall?
    Fontana has a race...the top part is typical DH...a little steeper, tecnical and rockier then most courses....at the bottom there is a stretch of flat land along the back side of houses...hence the name the wall...typically this spot uses up 50 to 60 seconds for most racers...winning race times are from 2:12 to 2:50 so the wall is very important
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Fontana has a race...the top part is typical DH...a little steeper, tecnical and rockier then most courses....at the bottom there is a stretch of flat land along the back side of houses...hence the name the wall...typically this spot uses up 50 to 60 seconds for most racers...winning race times are from 2:12 to 2:50 so the wall is very important
    Thanks for splainin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee ideki View Post
    I believe mashing to be inefficient too, but if you were to pedal a DH bike like you pedal a BMX out of the gate, it would be MASH. those bikes are rigid, have very low rotational mass and accelerate quickly.

I am not expert but I have spent my life on bikes, mostly BMX, I believe the cadence thing mentioned above and practicing in the correct gearing and proper shifting time to be very important.

Alot of high level BMX racers including olympic athletes do street sprints. They dont look like they mash but they are also very well practiced at how to put the power down. Look at all the high level world cup DH dudes, they dont look like they mash to me either, they are very well practiced at putting the power down, but it is different IMO, they also have gearing to choose from, obviously but this helps greatly reduce inefficient "mashing". Not saying it is just to do with gearing though.

I think street sprints could be very beneficial to learning this skill in DH, you have a lot less to focus on and can spend it on efficient pedaling, bike movement, body english and gearing choice for you, also making both less of a thinking task, it becomes more second nature.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    drop some balls and stand, practice sprints till you learn where your puke line is, then start puking till you push it further.

You can learn to stand and sprint efficiently, but I imagine that it'll take a coach or someone who knows what they are doing to watch you and make sure that you are doing it properly
    Just another redneck with a bike

DownhillBAWS
    stand and mash till you vomit and then keep going. Its a race and if you want to win you have to give it 200% till the end.