Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. SRAM SX4 shifter emergency!!!!!!?????? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi all. Slap8up here. I recently ate it on a big double and laid my K2 down on it's side knocking my trigger shifter (sram SX4) on the ground HARD. I'm ok, but my shifter started making a funny noise when upshifting (although it was still working fine). I attempted to take it apart to see what was was causing the weird grinding noise and SPROING! peices and parts everywhere. Ive attempted to locate a schematic for this unit so I can re-assemble it, but to no avail. I'm pissed cause I supposed to go riding tomorrow. I do have another bike to ride but I want my dirt jumper fixed . I'm eventually going to upgrade to X7's but I still need to get the SX4 fixed so I can ride until I get my X7's. Please help!!!!!!!!
    "Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty"

mtbr member
    check transition bike's store (https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...TOKEN=48884568)

i ordered my x7 shifter for 11 dollars, but now i see they are 13...bummer lol

but still a great deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSloth
    That PDF is for model year 2002... the SX4 came out in '08

As far as i know... The SX4 is a very hard shifter to put back together. I could not find any schematics for the shifter, nor could SRAM direct provide any for my shop. It's one of those take it apart and resemble in reverse order deals. might be SOL buddy...
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    That PDF is for model year 2002... the SX4 came out in '08

As far as i know... The SX4 is a very hard shifter to put back together. I could not find any schematics for the shifter, nor could SRAM direct provide any for my shop. It's one of those take it apart and resemble in reverse order deals. might be SOL buddy...
    Oh, on the SRAM website they list the SX4 as a twist shifter in 2002... it came up on a google search.

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/...nuals_2002.php

I'm not doubting you, its SRAMs fault! lol

This is the Tech manual for 2008, I don't know if it will help though:

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...MTB_MY08_E.pdf

mtbr member
    Just to clear up any confusion it is the SX4 trigger shift, not the gripshift .

Glad to Be Alive
    bite the bullit and upgrade now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Youll never get them back together. Happened to one of my friends X9's 60 bucks went flying all over the room.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had SX4 shifters on my old bike, once they're done, there is no fixing them. I say just get a new shifter. The transition deal looks great

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Happened to me too... didn't find any schematics, just collected all the parts, and tried putting them together until I found a combination that actually worked. Pain in the ass, for sure. But doable.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Dude if you have another bike to ride just rip the shifter off of that bike and put it on your K2 until you get a new one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the transition deal is also for the front shifter only not the rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon
    Youll never get them back together. Happened to one of my friends X9's 60 bucks went flying all over the room.
    Just letting everyone know I got the hook up if anyone needs help re assembling an S or SX shifter. I finally figured it out. Works fine, and no more noise! But thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slap8up
    Just letting everyone know I got the hook up if anyone needs help re assembling an S or SX shifter. I finally figured it out. Works fine, and no more noise! But thanks for the help guys
    Im in the same boat...any tips how i can get this thing back together? I'm at a loss

the giant.
    go single speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Better yet, get a unicycle.

Quick-clip Trail Stair jump...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had SX4 shifters on my first bike. When they are done, they are done. After a while, they get really sloppy and very difficult to adjust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    another vote for single speed
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon
    Then that's just a failure. X-9 and X-0 is relatively easy to put back together. The only tricky part with rebuilding them is getting the coil spring in the bottom assembly (silver shift-up lever) to wrap and then set properly.

Off topic to the SX4, but this is a great x-9 rebuild guide: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...36#post3012736
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Seeeriously easy Livin
    new x9 are easy because they are based on the xo, but pre 2007 x9 are more complicated. I also had an sx4 blow up on me, and I managed to get it back together, can't offer any help to others, just encouragement that it is possible, just think of it like a puzzle, and use trial and error.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

SRAM X-4 Shifter rebuild

I took it apart, bad things happened. Bike shop was closed and I was determined to ride the next day. When I noticed no schematic on the entire world-wide web, I made my own. If this helps one person get one day ahead riding, it is worthwhile:
    See my crude instructions and pretty pictures regarding this rebuild.

I have too few posts to add a link so cut and paste this string into your browser address bar:

sites.google.com/site/davynemetz/home/mtb

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ya dude I took apart my shifters thinking they where dirty inside and "boing" pieces went everywhere. Happens to most of the things I take apart .... Anyway just upgrade it will deff be worth it.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mine exploded

Quote Originally Posted by dbnemetz View Post
    I took it apart, bad things happened. Bike shop was closed and I was determined to ride the next day. When I noticed no schematic on the entire world-wide web, I made my own. If this helps one person get one day ahead riding, it is worthwhile:
    See my crude instructions and pretty pictures regarding this rebuild.

I have too few posts to add a link so cut and paste this string into your browser address bar:

sites.google.com/site/davynemetz/home/mtb

cheers
    that would have been perfect if it was for sx4, dang. The innards are totally different for sx4. Great illustration though. Advice is unless you really like greasy puzzles don't take apart a sx4. Short of getting a new one, if any one else has advice on putting an sx4 back together let me know.

Update: was able to get mine back together. The trick is to do it upside-down. There are certain slots that all the part go into, just make sure you line everything up.
    Last edited by mtbatl11; 01-22-2012 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi there, i, like a lot of other people have had the exploding Sram Sx4 trigger shifter, when it happened to me i thought no probs i'll look on the net there's bound to be something, Wrong !!! that's ok i'll check youtube, Wrong !!! So i decided to nut it out myself, i did and all good !! So i thought why not create a doc that acts as a manual and shows the re assembly process for putting the Sram SX4 back together.

Wether it saves you money, time or allows you to get that all important ride in tomorrow it's worth me doing it.

please follow the link below:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...bRvsZ7KQI/edit

mtbr member
    May 2009

wow great thanks

many thanks for the rebuild guide - I have just managed to rebuild a front shifter based on your instructions too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast