mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Spring combo in 00 Marz Z1 CR

I've got 2000 marzocchi Z1 CR which was switched to stiff springs for my weight. The fork is SUPER stiff and I've never bottomed it out over all the years I've owned it. It's been great for dj, but its a bit harsh on regular trails.

Am I able to run a combination of springs in it from the stock springs and stiff springs?

can I run the softer inch-long helper springs with the heavy main springs?

can I run soft on one side and heavy on the other? Should I mess with oil weight?

what do you guru's think?
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    anyone?
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

...for I am a raindog too

sure....

I don't see why running different spring rates would hurt-- on quite a few of Zocchi's forks you can run just one spring (in the appropriate side--depending on fork). You might get better feel out of the regular springs with a higher oil level.... If you leave the heavy springs in and drop the oil level, you will also drop the dapening characteristics.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The dampning right now is perfect for the springs that are in it, however being very stiff, I cant lower the dampning without turning the fork into a pogo stick.

the stock springs on their own are too soft to be compensated with thicker or higher oil level, so I was thinking of figuring out a happy medium.

I think i want to try running the soft tender springs for small bump compliance a heavy spring in one leg and a stock spring in the other, and a little bit thicker oil.

Im a big believer in over damping rather than over sprung, and right now I feel the fork is both... which isnt necessarily a bad thing, it rides great, but it's not as plush as I'd like.