mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Specialized SX trail II + bigger fork

Hi guys
    I have a SX Trail II 2010 (medium) - has anyone tried putting on a bigger fork than the 160mm fox that follows? I know it will mess up the original geometry, BB-height and so on, but i still want to hear your opinion about it.
    Peter

mtbr member
    I believe Specialized allow +10% of the original fork, after which you would invalidate the warranty if anything happened. Was considering Totems on my 2008, but stuck with 160mm because of this. Saying that, it's never stopped people doing it and never heard of any problems.

This guy has the same bike as you - http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...hreadid=109662
    www.EssexHertsMTB.co.uk - Riding in the SE of the UK - Epping, Danbury, Thorndon, Chicksands, Aston Hill, Woburn

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A friend of mine that I work with used to work in the specialized warranty dept and he rides what Im pretty sure is a 2010 Sxt. Ive heard him say that if you run anything more than 170mm it will void the warranty on that frame. he says 170 rides pretty nice, you could do a totem solo air lowered 10mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had a fox 40 on my 05 SX trail and it was awesome. If you break the head tube, don't tell them you ever put a bigger fork on it

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    YMMV.

WARNING! The SX and SX Trail frames are compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 6.3" (160mm) or less. Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious

If you're worried about it, run a bit more sag front and rear, tune what you've got a bit more, run a fatter tires.
    Last edited by scrublover; 02-10-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK, thanks for the answers...
    I'm perfectly happy with the way it rides right now, but in summer i'm going to France for two weeks. The downhills is often 30 minutes or more, so i'd like a little more comfort here. I think that 160mm will beat up my arms and upper body and a longer fork will absorb more bumps....

mtbr member
    I think a lyrik DH at 170mm (air or coil, your preference), would be a great match for 2010 SXT. And if the 10% thing about the warranty is true, it won't void it. And not to mention that everyone who has a lyrik DH absolutely raves about them and they seem to be outstanding forks.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    new sx trails run a 180 to match the rear which is at 180 also. i ride a 07 with a totem at 180, i feel the slacker HT really makes this bike shine. do it!

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    i have a 2010 with a 180mm fox on it. works fine.
    [SIZE="5"]I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    You're fine running a bigger than 160 fork on an sx trail. To ease your mind, 2011 SX trails come with 180mm forks and the wall thickness of the tubes did not change. Run as big as you want, that frame is stout (within reason, no need to bring super monster T's back).

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    have a 2010, with 180mm Marzocchi 66. The geometry change is very minimal, and once you get on the trail and get it up to speed, you really can't tell much of a difference in the angles. Though, you sure as hell can tell the difference between the 66 and the 160mm Fox that i used to have on this bike.

i still have the Fox though, for lighter pedaly days.