mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Specialized GRID for DH use?

Is the GRID casing beefy enough for East Coast DH riding? I usually hit up Thunder, Highland and Sunday River. I'm 200lbs or so and a intermediate level rider that's progressing slowly on jump lines but actually prefers riding natural trails, blues and blacks usually.

Current tires are the DHF 27.5x2.5 MaxxGrip DH casing and I'm less than impressed with grip or durability for such a heavy tire.

My trail bike is a 29er hardtail running Butcher/Slaughter combo in GRID casing and I like them, a lot, but I'm not sure if they'd hold up to DH duty.

Any input is appreciated other than f*ck Specialized... it is what my local shop sells.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I wouldn't. I even ran butcher SX tires for a while and the DH tires are noticeably more stable.

mtbr member
    Only with cushcore

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    I wouldn't. I even ran butcher SX tires for a while and the DH tires are noticeably more stable.
    Thanks for the info
    I like bikes

Keep on Rockin...
    I use to run GRID on my trail/AM bike.

DH rig - no way.

For east coast DH chunk I run the heaviest, biggest, DH, wire bead, tires I can find. And, inside goes Flat Tire Defenders.

mtbr member
    Do you have the DD casing or the TR casing on your Minions? I see they do a Maxx Grip in both casings.
    Specialized have good tires, I even got away with Control casings for ages, but are really too thin. I'm surprised at the lack of grip, the fact they're wearing quickly should mean they're sticky.
    Interestingly I opened a couple of Maxxis links, one shows a Super Tacky option, but no DD, and the other Super Tacky has gone, but the DD casing is there.
    Edit, they were DHR2s vs DHFs

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No.

Maxxis Minion DHF DD 3C TR WT 2.5 front
    Maxxis Minion DHR II DD 3C TR 2.3 rear

End of discussion

Keep on Rockin...
    For DH at 200# stick with the tried and true....

DH, wire bead, Maxxis DHF 2.5 and DHRII 2.4".

Go with Super tacky up front and 3C out back.

There is a reason that is "the" go-to set up for DH.

They even set up great tubeless, assuming you have the right rim.

mtbr member
    Never ridden the east coast but in colorado- DD front DH wire casing rear with cushcore. Cat 1 speeds. I've blown up DD's in the back in rock gardens, wouldn't trust grid personally.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    For DH at 200# stick with the tried and true....

DH, wire bead, Maxxis DHF 2.5 and DHRII 2.4".

Go with Super tacky up front and 3C out back.

There is a reason that is "the" go-to set up for DH.

They even set up great tubeless, assuming you have the right rim.
    Bike came with DHF 2.5 supertacky DH wire bead front and rear, which doesnít work tubeless with my rims (mtx33) and is also very slow rolling compared to my buddies bike that has Bontragers DH tires on it. My tires have been reliable whereas he pinched last time out on a berm, both of us running tubes.

I was hoping to save some weight and pick up some speed in lower rolling resistance if possible. If itís not possible to get both, Iíll take the speed over the weight.
    I like bikes

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Bike came with DHF 2.5 supertacky DH wire bead front and rear, which doesnít work tubeless with my rims (mtx33) and is also very slow rolling compared to my buddies bike that has Bontragers DH tires on it. My tires have been reliable whereas he pinched last time out on a berm, both of us running tubes.

I was hoping to save some weight and pick up some speed in lower rolling resistance if possible. If itís not possible to get both, Iíll take the speed over the weight.
    Super Tacky out back rolls slow, and wears too fast. The DHRII 2.4 in 3C is plenty fast for DH.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post

Have you tried tubeless? It can be done on those rims you just have to have a ton of tape. I've seen them tubeless.

If you can't buy new rims go tubeless.

Go tubeless.

Oh and go tubeless!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Super Tacky out back rolls slow, and wears too fast. The DHRII 2.4 in 3C is plenty fast for DH.
    Yeah itís definitely wearing out quickly. Would be nice to only buy one tire!
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST View Post
    Have you tried tubeless? It can be done on those rims you just have to have a ton of tape. I've seen them tubeless.

If you can't buy new rims go tubeless.

Go tubeless.

Oh and go tubeless!
    I did try, could rip the tire off the rim by hand while inflated! Hopefully rims next season so I can run tubeless. Been tubeless for almost 3 years on the trail bike and Iíd never go back to tubes for that bike.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Borrowed a set of GRID 2.6 tires. Not enough clearance in the rear of my Kona Operator, rubs if you push it hard into a berm and just a mess in the mud. They did setup tubeless with a single layer of Stans tape on my MTX33 rims easily enough.

DHF is going back on the front (better braking traction) and Iíll pick up a DHRII for the rear in the 3C compound.
    I like bikes