Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005

Specialized Deviant vs. Giro Remedy vs. 661 Full Bravo

I'm looking at these three helmets for aggressive XC/light freeride use and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Unfortunately the LBSs around here don't carry any of these helmets, so I'm going to have to order one.

I was thinking that the Deviant and Remedy would probably be best due to the amount of vents they have, but I'm still interested in the 661 as well.

I've thought of just running one of my moto helmets but would much rather have something that is lighter and with better venting...

Your opinions are greatly appreciated..

-Jordan

Freeriding Feline

Remedy

I just ordered the Giro Remedy. I stuck with Giro because I have a Mad Max and know the sizing. I also had to order on-line.
    I'll let you know about it when it gets here, but I went through Beyond Bikes so I don't know when it will arrive.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Fartographer
    Just get an XC helmet. I wear one most of the time. For serious stuff I have a cheap 661. It fits great, it's really not heavy, and it only cost me $60. That new Specialized is pretty sexy, though...
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    I definitely want the protection a full face helmet offers... After growing up riding ATVs, riding anything w/o a full face helmet on feels extremely dangerous to me. Plus, I don't want to mess up my face!!!

N* Bomber Crew
    If you ride XC than I wouldn't look into a full-face if you've never tried it. I used to do a lot of trail riding with uphill, and then loads of DH and DH racing over the summer...and I used my full face. I've grown with my full face, I LOVE the saftey feeling of it and all the attributes that come with it.

I wear it when I hike up hills.....I can't seem to ride up them anymore. I wear full faces at lifts, shuttles, races etc. I got the Deviant because I wanted better cooling over my current 661. I feel that if I am going to wear a full face, I might as well get one that is comfortable, ventilated, and light.

For trail riding I don't really see the benefit. If you're XC is strictly gravity (What I mean by that is do a LOOOONG uphill ride, then DH) then a Fullface would be a good consideration, but trail riding with constant climbs and descents would really benefit with the loss of easy bearthing.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Authority is dead!
    I tried one S the other day, man I lost any will to even look at this again! Very uncomfortable and has fragile feeling to it. Yes, there are lots of vents, but the fit is very "specific". I currently have cheapo 661 (forgot the model) and would trust it waaaaay more than Specialized. Yes, it doesn't ventilate well, but you gotta make choises: ventilation vs protection. I prefer the second.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    I tried one S the other day, man I lost any will to even look at this again! Very uncomfortable and has fragile feeling to it. Yes, there are lots of vents, but the fit is very "specific". I currently have cheapo 661 (forgot the model) and would trust it waaaaay more than Specialized. Yes, it doesn't ventilate well, but you gotta make choises: ventilation vs protection. I prefer the second.
    Its certified to the same standards as your 661.......(Or at least my cheapo 661)
    But whatever makes you feel safer.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    I think you just got unlucky. You're the only person that I've heard complain about the fit on the new Specialized helmets. Are you sure you put it on right? j/k

Designated Bleeder

Similar dilemma

I am having a similar problem. I had a nasty accident a few months ago that left me with a pretty severe ear injury. I was wearing a normal XC helmet. Its better now but my doctor told me to pretty much wear a full face helmet from now on for XC, FR, DH, whatever. I currently have a Giro Switchblade. Comfortable helmet, covers your ears, protects your teeth, though I would not trust it for any serious DH stuff. They also discontinued them and mine is getting on in years.

I have been looking at the Pryme AL helmet but I can't find a local shop that has them to try on. I have heard the Specialized helmet has lots of vent but I have yet to try one of those on either.

Basically, as far as I can tell, there is a gap in the market for the aggressive XC/light Freerider/occasional DHer that wants full face protection but not the bulk or the severe lack of breathability that the standard full face offers. Anyone know if any companies are coming out with something to fit this market?

mtbr member
    Get the one that fits you the best..

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I am having a similar problem. I had a nasty accident a few months ago that left me with a pretty severe ear injury. I was wearing a normal XC helmet. Its better now but my doctor told me to pretty much wear a full face helmet from now on for XC, FR, DH, whatever. I currently have a Giro Switchblade. Comfortable helmet, covers your ears, protects your teeth, though I would not trust it for any serious DH stuff. They also discontinued them and mine is getting on in years.

I have been looking at the Pryme AL helmet but I can't find a local shop that has them to try on. I have heard the Specialized helmet has lots of vent but I have yet to try one of those on either.

Basically, as far as I can tell, there is a gap in the market for the aggressive XC/light Freerider/occasional DHer that wants full face protection but not the bulk or the severe lack of breathability that the standard full face offers. Anyone know if any companies are coming out with something to fit this market?
    Well I dunno...its just impression. My current 661 breathes bad...but since it has less vents I would think it would be able to withstand a harder impact, but the Deviant is certified to the same standards. There is a huge variety in helmets, but they all must sufficiently meet requirements by CPSC...I would trust a full face that was certified. The Deviant seems like it could take a hit.

There is a larger difference between the moto helmets however. They're designed for way higher speeds. I've seen a few bikers wear them, and they will proabobly protect your dome exceedingly well...but is it really necessary? Thats up to the riders that do wear those helmets to decide.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I think you just got unlucky. You're the only person that I've heard complain about the fit on the new Specialized helmets. Are you sure you put it on right? j/k
    I really wanted that S for the new season, but not after I tried it on (a few of them actually). Nothing but my own opinion.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

TNC
    noMAD man

Again...my XC full coverage helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by TORO1968
    I'm looking at these three helmets for aggressive XC/light freeride use and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Unfortunately the LBSs around here don't carry any of these helmets, so I'm going to have to order one.

I was thinking that the Deviant and Remedy would probably be best due to the amount of vents they have, but I'm still interested in the 661 as well.

I've thought of just running one of my moto helmets but would much rather have something that is lighter and with better venting...

Your opinions are greatly appreciated..

-Jordan
    I posted this awhile back in the summer on a helmet discussion here, but maybe some missed it. I'm using a Pryme AL for all my riding situations now. I used to use Giro Switchblades for some years, but since they quit making them, it caused me to look at other full coverage designs that one could still ride in the heat.

The Pryme Al is a way more substantial helmet than my Switchblades. It's a full fiberglass/foam design, but with a ton of vents. I modified the helmet for trail riding by removing some chin, ear, and neck padding. All cranial padding remains untouched, so you still have as much and probably more in those areas than any XC lid. In fact the helmet is now padded more like the Giro Switchblade was. I used this helmet during several long trail rides this summer in west Texas that reach about 94 degrees. The helmet was no hotter than a Giro Switchblade. I now use this helmet for just about everything. I still have a Mad Max for anything that could be shuttled or where you wouldn't have to pedal a lot...especially if it's warm.

I have several months on this modified helmet now, and I'm totally sold. If you're looking for a great dual-use helmet that you can wear all the time without baking your brain, this is one to consider, especially in its modified setup. I think a lot of us out there who ride relatively hard and gnarly terrain have been wanting a "Switchblade like" helmet that is more substantial and cool enough to use all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by goridewrx
    Get the one that fits you the best..
    Correct! First it has to fit.

After that it still has to fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I posted this awhile back in the summer on a helmet discussion here, but maybe some missed it. I'm using a Pryme AL for all my riding situations now. I used to use Giro Switchblades for some years, but since they quit making them, it caused me to look at other full coverage designs that one could still ride in the heat.

The Pryme Al is a way more substantial helmet than my Switchblades. It's a full fiberglass/foam design, but with a ton of vents. I modified the helmet for trail riding by removing some chin, ear, and neck padding. All cranial padding remains untouched, so you still have as much and probably more in those areas than any XC lid. In fact the helmet is now padded more like the Giro Switchblade was. I used this helmet during several long trail rides this summer in west Texas that reach about 94 degrees. The helmet was no hotter than a Giro Switchblade. I now use this helmet for just about everything. I still have a Mad Max for anything that could be shuttled or where you wouldn't have to pedal a lot...especially if it's warm.

I have several months on this modified helmet now, and I'm totally sold. If you're looking for a great dual-use helmet that you can wear all the time without baking your brain, this is one to consider, especially in its modified setup. I think a lot of us out there who ride relatively hard and gnarly terrain have been wanting a "Switchblade like" helmet that is more substantial and cool enough to use all the time.
    The Pryme looks good. Sad it say it does not fit me at all. The box it comes in would be more comfortable.
    mtbtires.com

Team Sanchez
    Just get a Giro Xen for your light Freeride needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Just get a Giro Xen for your light Freeride needs.
    Better yet, the Semi. Better coverage. Less than half the cost. Fits me MUCH better.
    mtbtires.com