Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397

    Specialized Big Hit Comp

    Hi there,

    I'd like to get into DH riding this summer and am currently looking at a used Spec Big Hit Comp with RS Boxxer forks. I've asked the seller for more info re components, weight etc, but am looking for some general DH bike info.

    What are your thoughts of this as a beginner DH bike? Or overall as a DH bike for that matter?

    I hear good thing about the Boxxer's, any other opinions are welcome.

    What things (pitfalls or bonuses) should i watch out for when shopping for a DH bike?

    Is having a 24" rear wheel with a 26" wheel up front a norml setup for DH?

    I'm attaching a picture of the bike...

    Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Big Hit Comp-specialized-big-hit-comp.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    2003 model year...

  3. #3
    i be lurkin
    Reputation: doesyourchainhanglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    459
    that looks solid, and really heavy. i would go with somthing newer, just to ensure that it hasnt been beaten to hell over the 7 years its been used...
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    403
    Those were good bikes, but it's 8 years old at minimum. 24" rear wheel works allright, but makes it almost impossible to find DH quality spare tires, rims, etc. Unless it's a screaming deal, I would try to find something newer just to be safe.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05
    Those were good bikes, but it's 8 years old at minimum. 24" rear wheel works allright, but makes it almost impossible to find DH quality spare tires, rims, etc. Unless it's a screaming deal, I would try to find something newer just to be safe.
    Awesome, thanks

    Seller wants $700 negotiable for it. Is that a good price if there's no major damage?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    55
    Hey that looks like my bike! I have a 2005 Bighit FSR. These guys are right, 8 years makes it a tough sell.

    Frame:
    Personally I am not worried at all about my frame lasting 8 years, I know it will. I tend to crash a lot and this frame can take a real beating. Its just plain overbuilt, which is good for beginners. Im still running a lot of stock components, original frame bearings are still perfect. This frame has more suspension adjustment than most so it is versatile. Three different spring progressiveness settings, and four head angle / bottom bracket height positions. I bounce between stiff and steep, or soft and slack depending on the trails.

    Weight:
    Weight is certainly a weak point, I pedal this thing up lots of hills and my friends kill me. Stock, bike was 44 lbs. I have lighter cranks, pedals, and seat now, but heavier tires. 43 lbs now. BUT, you are looking for a DH bike and 44 lbs feels real stable at speed. I don't like my friends 27 lb stumpjumper because its squirly compared to this.

    24" Tire:
    Its slower than a 26 in the same way a 26 is slower than a 29. Larger tires roll over small ruts more smoothly. One advantage, for a given wheel/tire combo, it is noticeably lighter in the back than a 26. That said, I can take switchbacks and tight turns better than anyone I ride with. I can't be certain its the tire size, but my style has come to take advantage of the 24.

    There are various opinions about the stock components, good and bad. Heres mine:
    The truvativ cranks did me solid for 5 years, then one day I got way too muddy and wet. Bottom bracket started to fail after that. Replacements can be cheap though.
    Not sure what brakes those are, but they look similar to Hayes 9's. Mine are still all original and plenty powerful. But I had to tear down and clean the calipers to fix sticking pistons. No rebuild kit, no money spent (besides brake fluid), just time. Wheels are rock solid, never had to true or tighten spokes, hubs still smooth and rigid. There are mixed reviews here, but all wheels have bad reviews like this "broke first ride, do not buy!" I currently have the same rear tire too, kenda nevegal, very good.

    I paid 1400 for mine brand new. If I came across this I think a good deal would be $4-500 and I wouldn't pay more than $600 if its in top notch condition. Look it over closely!

    So, yes it is a great beginner downhill bike. The deciding factor for you should be, how much maintenance and wrenching are you able to do? I have saved myself a lot of money by being able to maintain the bike myself! And obviously older parts need a bit more care than newer ones.

    For reference, I ride all mountain, freeride, and downhill trails, enjoy small-medium jumps, my local trails have lots of 3-6 foot drops to flat, gnarly rock gardens and have done some urban jumping as well.

    Ryan

  7. #7
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    Awesome, thanks

    Seller wants $700 negotiable for it. Is that a good price if there's no major damage?

    Hey, Its a solid bike. I'm not sure on price, but i had an 07 bighit with all non-stock components selling for $700 or lower in my area, so an 03 i wouldnt pay any more than 600 for, and thats prety much new. I would tell the guy about the 24" wheel being hard to find tires for, and the age, and then offer something in the 500 area...

    I bought an 02 intense m1 last year, and for its age it still works awesome! Go check the bike out and check very carefully for no cracks (maybe take a freind to double check...) ride it around a little bit and see what you think.

    As far as Dh goes thats a perfect bike. My friend has a version of the bighit, and although it is as heavy as all get out, its bomb proof. My friend takes some stupidly hard hits on his and its never come close to failing. big hits are solid DH bike and perfect for beginners.

    are there any other decent and newer DH bikes in your area you could look at?

    If you like it and the bike and price seen right, i say take it... just check all the components and the frame very well...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by audiologies
    Hey that looks like my bike! I have a 2005 Bighit FSR. These guys are right, 8 years makes it a tough sell.

    Frame:
    Personally I am not worried at all about my frame lasting 8 years, I know it will. I tend to crash a lot and this frame can take a real beating. Its just plain overbuilt, which is good for beginners. Im still running a lot of stock components, original frame bearings are still perfect. This frame has more suspension adjustment than most so it is versatile. Three different spring progressiveness settings, and four head angle / bottom bracket height positions. I bounce between stiff and steep, or soft and slack depending on the trails.

    Weight:
    Weight is certainly a weak point, I pedal this thing up lots of hills and my friends kill me. Stock, bike was 44 lbs. I have lighter cranks, pedals, and seat now, but heavier tires. 43 lbs now. BUT, you are looking for a DH bike and 44 lbs feels real stable at speed. I don't like my friends 27 lb stumpjumper because its squirly compared to this.

    24" Tire:
    Its slower than a 26 in the same way a 26 is slower than a 29. Larger tires roll over small ruts more smoothly. One advantage, for a given wheel/tire combo, it is noticeably lighter in the back than a 26. That said, I can take switchbacks and tight turns better than anyone I ride with. I can't be certain its the tire size, but my style has come to take advantage of the 24.

    There are various opinions about the stock components, good and bad. Heres mine:
    The truvativ cranks did me solid for 5 years, then one day I got way too muddy and wet. Bottom bracket started to fail after that. Replacements can be cheap though.
    Not sure what brakes those are, but they look similar to Hayes 9's. Mine are still all original and plenty powerful. But I had to tear down and clean the calipers to fix sticking pistons. No rebuild kit, no money spent (besides brake fluid), just time. Wheels are rock solid, never had to true or tighten spokes, hubs still smooth and rigid. There are mixed reviews here, but all wheels have bad reviews like this "broke first ride, do not buy!" I currently have the same rear tire too, kenda nevegal, very good.

    I paid 1400 for mine brand new. If I came across this I think a good deal would be $4-500 and I wouldn't pay more than $600 if its in top notch condition. Look it over closely!

    So, yes it is a great beginner downhill bike. The deciding factor for you should be, how much maintenance and wrenching are you able to do? I have saved myself a lot of money by being able to maintain the bike myself! And obviously older parts need a bit more care than newer ones.

    For reference, I ride all mountain, freeride, and downhill trails, enjoy small-medium jumps, my local trails have lots of 3-6 foot drops to flat, gnarly rock gardens and have done some urban jumping as well.

    Ryan
    Awesome review and opinion, thanks Ryan i really appreciate it.

    I'm likely going to check out this bike if the seller agrees to my price-offer (won't say more in case the seller is lurking on this thread lol).

    I think i'm going to search some 24" DH tires and see how readily available they are.

    As for the work, i was a wrencher for 8 years in a bike shop and maintain my own bikes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    Hey, Its a solid bike. I'm not sure on price, but i had an 07 bighit with all non-stock components selling for $700 or lower in my area, so an 03 i wouldnt pay any more than 600 for, and thats prety much new. I would tell the guy about the 24" wheel being hard to find tires for, and the age, and then offer something in the 500 area...

    I bought an 02 intense m1 last year, and for its age it still works awesome! Go check the bike out and check very carefully for no cracks (maybe take a freind to double check...) ride it around a little bit and see what you think.

    As far as Dh goes thats a perfect bike. My friend has a version of the bighit, and although it is as heavy as all get out, its bomb proof. My friend takes some stupidly hard hits on his and its never come close to failing. big hits are solid DH bike and perfect for beginners.

    are there any other decent and newer DH bikes in your area you could look at?

    If you like it and the bike and price seen right, i say take it... just check all the components and the frame very well...
    Thanks for the update Moosey, i really apreciate it. Gonna check out the bike this weekend.

    Will keep you guys posted.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    71
    2_WD, i JUST bought an 03 Bighit much like that one about 6 monthes ago. It came with Marzocchi Monster T's. It being an 03 i also wondered a bit about the endurance i can still put the almost 8 year old frame through. I asked around, and those bighit frames are brick walls. The headtube welds are extremely strong, it supports my Monster T's off 10' to flat drops. It drives like a big bulky Cadillac with the forks i got, but with a bit lighter ones i bet it handles even better. Yea the frame is a lil heavy but if you grow the balls and use the muscles ya got inside ya, youll be hucking this bike around anywhere ya wanna go. Not the BEST trial bike but, ive done awesome log rides, retaining wall rides, etc. Like i said just manhandle it and youll be fine. Its an awesome bike for beginner to novice. And i picked mine up for 650. so 700 aint that bad of a deal at all my man, good luck and have fun!
    Evan

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    71
    ohh and BTW, that 24"/26" setup is the ****. It's awsome for sever angles and drops really. It gives you the feeling that your weight is positioned more over the rear when descending crazy hills.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    71
    and excuse my spelling, i just got off work.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by evan1395
    2_WD, i JUST bought an 03 Bighit much like that one about 6 monthes ago. It came with Marzocchi Monster T's. It being an 03 i also wondered a bit about the endurance i can still put the almost 8 year old frame through. I asked around, and those bighit frames are brick walls. The headtube welds are extremely strong, it supports my Monster T's off 10' to flat drops. It drives like a big bulky Cadillac with the forks i got, but with a bit lighter ones i bet it handles even better. Yea the frame is a lil heavy but if you grow the balls and use the muscles ya got inside ya, youll be hucking this bike around anywhere ya wanna go. Not the BEST trial bike but, ive done awesome log rides, retaining wall rides, etc. Like i said just manhandle it and youll be fine. Its an awesome bike for beginner to novice. And i picked mine up for 650. so 700 aint that bad of a deal at all my man, good luck and have fun!
    Evan
    Awesome, thanks for sharing that, Evan. I find the best advice usually comes when someone speaks out of personal experience. I'm gonna check out the bike this week.

    Sounds like my big concern now is finding good replacement DH tires in the 24" size...i do burn through tires rather quickly as i like layin rubber lol. If i can source them pretty easily, i'll be a happy camper

    Thanks everyone, you've been quite helpful.
    Ara

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dankist4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    229
    I had a 05 bighit, I put that bike through hell and it never complained once. Someday you will want a better bike but to get you into DH/FR the bighit will do great. I wouldn’t pay anything over $500 for it though. As for tires I always had good luck finding a good selection of 24’s at Chain Reaction Cycles
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!—DANG— Ethel was WAY hairier

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4
    I had a 05 bighit, I put that bike through hell and it never complained once. Someday you will want a better bike but to get you into DH/FR the bighit will do great. I wouldn’t pay anything over $500 for it though. As for tires I always had good luck finding a good selection of 24’s at Chain Reaction Cycles
    Awesome, thanks dankist4x4. I appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Ara

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Arrow Racing makes 24" dh tires. check out their site.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    Arrow Racing makes 24" dh tires. check out their site.
    Awesome, thanks.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397

    Picked Up My New Bike

    Update (for anyone that cares or remembers lol)

    I ended up buying this 2008 Big Hit from Bike Depot in Toronto. I picked it up last night and have already replaced the stock XC grips (wtf?) with ODI Rogues off my XC bike lol, and also replaced the saddle so it matches the fork, bars, and pedals vs the stock brown one.

    I picked up a full face helmet today (Spec Deviant) and some replacement XC grips for my trail bike.

    I had it out for a quick-chilly-rip last night and my initial thoughts are:
    -it pedals more efficiently than i thought it would
    -i can still bunny-hop and get the front end up pretty easily (as i'm used to my 29 lbs XC bike) considering the weight
    -it grips well in snow and slush - likely combo of aggressive tires and 40+ lbs bike
    -heavy as a mofo though - i should look like "Arnold" by the end of summer
    -need to find a comfy seating position or a better seat.

    Would a seat like a WTB Pure V be too curvy for this bike? I'm asking because the seats are so raked due to the geometry, so i don't know if a flat seat is better suited than a contoured one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Big Hit Comp-img_1674-resized.jpg  

    Specialized Big Hit Comp-img_1675-resized.jpg  

    Specialized Big Hit Comp-img_1682-resized.jpg  

    Specialized Big Hit Comp-img_1673-resized.jpg  

    Specialized Big Hit Comp-img_1681-resized.jpg  


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Allo? Anyone? Anything? Not even a congrats? lol

  20. #20
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    831
    Right on.

    I think the seat will be fine. If I were going to change anything I would grab some decent pedals. A good set of pedals is so much nicer than the cheapies.

    Is that bike a brand new 08 leftover?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bug-rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    78
    Congrats man!

    I think your seat looks fine.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    Right on.

    I think the seat will be fine. If I were going to change anything I would grab some decent pedals. A good set of pedals is so much nicer than the cheapies.

    Is that bike a brand new 08 leftover?
    Thanks bad news

    I found a more comfortable position by levelling the seat off (sitting on my sit-bones now rather than my scrotum lol...other than it being a close reach for a "superman-seat grab" or "tail whip" i really don't understand the need for these seats to be so raked.

    Any sugfgestions on pedals? I need strong ones as i've shaved the knobs down on an old set of pedals from scraping it on curbing while practicing my skinny's.

    The bike was more or less a leftover. Someone bought it and rode it for a week then returned it. It's pretty much brand new...no damage other than a couple of very minor scratches (only ocd'ers like me notice it) and the tires still have the remnant rubber from the manufacturing process.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    55
    Nice! I like it. I was gonna suggest just adjusting the seat but you figured that out. Mines just level with the ground. I use wellgo mg1 pedals, they're magnesium so not very strong, but mine are working great.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by bug-rex
    Congrats man!

    I think your seat looks fine.
    Thx bug-rex

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nick_M2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,611
    Nice!
    Sweet deal on the bike mate, and it looks sweet aswell
    Ride her hard
    Only thing id look at upgrading down the track is the pedals (ridden those spesh pedals...blehh) and the shock, you can normally find DHX 5's these days for pretty cheap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •