Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    326

    specfic omega/atlas brace question

    so as my research into neck braces continues i can't find anything that talks about how well the omega or atlas braces work for downhill. do people feel that they can get their heads back far enough on steep trails? is one better or worse for compression injuries? thanks

    pv

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    326
    no opinions or experience? bummer.

    pv

  3. #3
    Come at me bro.
    Reputation: drastic.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    300
    about to order an atlas soon if nexis doesn't release their dx neck brace in the near future.

    each new version of the neck brace is getting slightly more, and more refined. and each new neck brace manufacturer is changing their design from the single brace running down the spine, to two brace supports running parallel down your back lats (pressure off your spine).

    nexis:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    326
    right, but are you confident you will be able to bend my neck back far enough to do steep trails? i want to get one but don't want to spend $300+ and find i'm not happy with it.

    pv

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    284
    Here is my response (along with someone elses) from this thread:

    neck braces.............

    Originally Posted by DRIDE
    I've owned all 3. Omega then Leatt and finally A-stars. The Omega sat way too high for me to look properly down the trail. Keep in mind that these braces were designed for moto riders. You sit way more upright on a moto when compared to a DH bike.

    The Leatt was the best quality but I also had a problem with the fit. My chest was too big for it to sit down properly, therefore it gave me the same problems as the Omega.

    The A-stars fit the best for me by far. I forget I'm even wearing it. Also the x-strap system it comes with seems to do the best job of keeping it in the right place.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    you forgot to mention what type of Omega brace you used. I get the impression you were using the old moto style model.

    for some time now (2 yrs?) there's been an X1 version which is lower profile and very adjustable (takes just a minute or two to adjust). works very well with all the DH helmets I own. With my POC Cortex helmet, which comes down lower in the back than all my other helmets (specialized deviant, giro remedy, ...), i do have to lower the X1 to the lowest position if I am wearing full armor under the neck brace, but everything fits fine.

    with my other helmets, i adjust the X1 higher. Besides height, the X1 can also be adjusted in terms of how 'open' it is i.e. can be adjusted to sit properly on your shoulders whether you are a skinny emo teenager or a grown up with a deep chest.


    I should also add, my experience with all 3 braces was using a 661 EVO Helmet. The A-stars brace also works well with my Urge Down-o-matic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    326
    hey, thanks for the repost. i had actually read that entire thread a while back but forgot those two post gave those details. that actually helps quite a bit. so you say the leatts was too small in the chest for you? do you know how big your chest is? hmmm, i guess i'm asking for your measurements, BUT IN A COMPLETELY NON GAY WAY!!! not that there i anything wrong with that... thanks

    pv

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneEyedHito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    292
    I rock (pun intended) the Omega X1, wore it with my KTM and now with my DH. You can lower it by adjusting the mounting/bracing bolts to where it is GOOD for DH, I say GOOD because if I weren't such a nancy I wouldn't wear one at all, but I like to walk, talk, eat and **** on my own......

    That is my only neck brace experience though, I have researched the new DBX Pro and was seriously considering it, but the Omega has treated me well through 2 sports and still going strong so money is going to other things now.

    Good Luck!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    hey, thanks for the repost. i had actually read that entire thread a while back but forgot those two post gave those details. that actually helps quite a bit. so you say the leatts was too small in the chest for you? do you know how big your chest is? hmmm, i guess i'm asking for your measurements, BUT IN A COMPLETELY NON GAY WAY!!! not that there i anything wrong with that... thanks

    pv


    All good bro. I'm a pretty short stocky guy (5'7, 150lbs.) If your a taller lanky dude I don't think this will be a problem. I'll try to get my measurements and report back.. no ****.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    326
    i'm sure it will work fine for me. i'm 5'10" and weight 190 in the buff (trying to get to 180 but i like food too much...) i think i'm going to pick on up. the dbx pro or even comp III looks real nice but i like the support not going down my spine. no real idea how much of an issue that is or is not but logically it seems better not to have the pressure focused on your spine. and the extra bonus is the omega is significantly cheaper. should be able to get it shipped to me in ak for right around $200.

    pv

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    876
    I run the alpinestars, very comfy and excellent for dh. the back support is on the spine, but designed to snap off in a heavy impact, which is a good thing. they sell replacement back pieces as well if that were ever to occur.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic. View Post
    about to order an atlas soon if nexis doesn't release their dx neck brace in the near future.

    each new version of the neck brace is getting slightly more, and more refined. and each new neck brace manufacturer is changing their design from the single brace running down the spine, to two brace supports running parallel down your back lats (pressure off your spine).
    Thanks for the info on the Nexis, i forgot about them... i too am about to pickup an Atlas Brace, dont know if i am sold yet on the Nexis, would like to, but trying to compare it to the Atlas seems to be difficult.

    Apparently the local MX shops (Calgary, Alberta) will have the Atlas in the end the month, cant wait to check them out! When are they due out in your shops?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    452

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10
    I use the Alpinestar Bionic Neck Support and love it!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    after first big crash about to upgrade level of my protection - need some input.
    i love ATLAS brace (more that omega x1 and far more that leatt)
    +
    want to pair it with Troy Lee Designs CP 5955 Chest Protector (which works nice with Leatt)

    will TLD chest work with Atlas?
    i have Fox Rampage helmet - it's really sweet and saved me few times - i believe i can make it fit with Atlas?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by theDen View Post
    after first big crash about to upgrade level of my protection - need some input.
    i love ATLAS brace (more that omega x1 and far more that leatt)
    +
    want to pair it with Troy Lee Designs CP 5955 Chest Protector (which works nice with Leatt)

    will TLD chest work with Atlas?
    i have Fox Rampage helmet - it's really sweet and saved me few times - i believe i can make it fit with Atlas?

    I am looking for the same info.. It doesnt look like it would fit but ?? I do not like the idea of the other neck braces directing all that pressure to the spine.. It seems like a scorpion type wreck would surly break the spine..

  16. #16
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,938
    I've got some brand new in box atlas braces for sale if you're interested.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk77 View Post
    I am looking for the same info.. It doesnt look like it would fit but ?? I do not like the idea of the other neck braces directing all that pressure to the spine.. It seems like a scorpion type wreck would surly break the spine..
    Unfortunately, a buddy had precisely that happen this past year. He is ok (ie: mobile) though, thank god.

Similar Threads

  1. BB7 rotor question (theory question)
    By TrailBound29er in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
  2. front derailleur adjustment question
    By bprid in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 12:13 PM
  3. The Ask The Next Person A Question Thread
    By Tidybeard in forum Turner
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
  4. silly tire question / help
    By heidenspass in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
  5. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •