Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Soft Ride Shuttle Pad

Anyone get one yet? How's it compare to DaKine?

For The Win
    I'd guess they work equally well. As long as it stays in place there isn't much else to worry about.
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    I'm interested to know as well. Does it have better padding? Do the straps that hold it onto the tailgate hold up better than the DaKine ones?

Locs on Spokez
    I bet the Dakine logo looks way better
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

If you think you can
    The Dakine logo is so sweet! It will probably clean your bike off too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The thing I like is it straps the bikes so they don't bounce around on rough shuttle roads

EastBaySteez
    Neither of which covers the bumper.

10 dollar heavy duty packing blanket from HomeDepo or Lowes... wins every time.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm currently using the moving blanket. Not nearly enough protection from dinging your frame on rough shuttle roads. I add pipe insulation foam underneath the blanket to protect the frame. With the foam, nothing touches the bumper.

pfb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been checking these out as well...

Looks like the Softride version has straps to hold the bike down on the pad. Does the Dakine have them as well?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine is coming Wednesday. Ill post a review with pictures.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by pfb
    I've been checking these out as well...

Looks like the Softride version has straps to hold the bike down on the pad. Does the Dakine have them as well?

No the Dakine doesnt. I hope the soft ride is better, because the Dakine is a POS! Ive had 2 of them and on each when you tighten the strap down it everntually tears the material/seams apart and the more you pull the more it tears.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Neither of which covers the bumper.

10 dollar heavy duty packing blanket from HomeDepo or Lowes... wins every time.

i am with you on this

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm using the moving blanket method right now with foam pipe insulation underneath. Doesn't keep the bikes from bouncing on rough shuttle roads. I want to see if the straps help with better padding. I dont' want dents on my downtube.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    No the Dakine doesnt. I hope the soft ride is better, because the Dakine is a POS! Ive had 2 of them and on each when you tighten the strap down it everntually tears the material/seams apart and the more you pull the more it tears.
    Neither one of mine have torn from th straps, they do develop cutz along th top edge due to 45 lb bikez laying on it bouncin down th dirt roadz. Maybe yer strappin'er down too tight....?
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Neither one of mine have torn from th straps, they do develop cutz along th top edge due to 45 lb bikez laying on it bouncin down th dirt roadz. Maybe yer strappin'er down too tight....?
    I guess its possible, if the straps are only there to keep the pad from blowing off when you drive then yeah probably too tight, but if they are meant to keep the pad in place and stop if from rolling over than Id say Im not pulling them too tightly. Meh not a big deal to me, just sharing my experiences and experiences Ive seen with others using the same pad, believe me Im not alone.
    Guy.Ford

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R
    I'm using the moving blanket method right now with foam pipe insulation underneath. Doesn't keep the bikes from bouncing on rough shuttle roads. I want to see if the straps help with better padding. I dont' want dents on my downtube.

Run a tie down strap over all the bikes if you are on a rough shuttle road...

Problem solved.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It never really works. Trust me, I've tried. Unless u have 5 frames that are identical, the top tubes are never the same height and one or two bikes will always be flopping around.

Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Run a tie down strap over all the bikes if you are on a rough shuttle road...

Problem solved.

Professional Troll
    It never really works. Trust me, I've tried. Unless u have 5 frames that are identical, the top tubes are never the same height and one or two bikes will always be flopping around.
    Wrap the tie down around each of the top tubes and tension it, problem solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you ever tried this before? It does not work. It only snugs down the outer two bikes and pulls the bikes into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Wrap the tie down around each of the top tubes and tension it, problem solved.

I do what I want
    Have you ever tried this before? It does not work. It only snugs down the outer two bikes and pulls the bikes into each other.

I can concur the 2 aforementioned ideas of using tie straps over the top never works
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Try using the tie down strap but loop it once around each seat post just above the seat post clamp. If you start with the all bikes leaning a little away from the ratchett and make sure the strap is tight between each bike, as you tighten the bikes will come up straight and keep the separation distance. This gives a bit of tension on both sides and stops the bikes coming together. Works for me. If you've got crap on your downtube or going on a long trip road vibration always rubs the downtube and messes with the finish, whatever your using, even if it is tied down. I can't see the little loops on this one making a difference. Pays to throw a shin protector/rag/foam/glove/whatever between the bike and tail gate pad/blanket if you bike is purdy. That pad only has straps for 6 bikes. A truck can fit 7.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squiby
    Try using the tie down strap but loop it once around each seat post just above the seat post clamp. If you start with the all bikes leaning a little away from the ratchett and make sure the strap is tight between each bike, as you tighten the bikes will come up straight and keep the separation distance. This gives a bit of tension on both sides and stops the bikes coming together. Works for me. If you've got crap on your downtube or going on a long trip road vibration always rubs the downtube and messes with the finish, whatever your using, even if it is tied down. I can't see the little loops on this one making a difference. Pays to throw a shin protector/rag/foam/glove/whatever between the bike and tail gate pad/blanket if you bike is purdy. That pad only has straps for 6 bikes. A truck can fit 7.
    With the price of these bikes, the most that I would jam into the back of my truck was 5 on the tailgate. I didn't like the way the bikes would move around and toptubes got dinged by brake levers and downtubes got dented so I bought a Northshore Rack that holds 6. Way better than the tailgate pad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    With the price of these bikes, the most that I would jam into the back of my truck was 5 on the tailgate. I didn't like the way the bikes would move around and toptubes got dinged by brake levers and downtubes got dented so I bought a Northshore Rack that holds 6. Way better than the tailgate pad.
    You're right, the Northshore Rack is a solid option! Comes down to $$$, convenience, preference and whether you need the truck for other stuff. A blanket and strap thrown in the back is cheap 'n easy and I have not had any issues with bikes loaded in the fashion I described. A NS rack on a dedicated rig would be sweet though. It would protect your truck better too.

Professional Troll
    Yes, I have. It's not perfect, but it definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy

Bingo. That's the best solution that I have embraced. It's expensive, but it looks like it'll last a lifetime.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Saw one of those NS racks up in Snow Shoe last summer cool lookin, but i think th padz are the easiest, cheapest way of haulin a bike, purchased or adapted, (i.e. furniture pad or heavy blanket).
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast