mtbr member

soft grips vs. hard grips?

after a few runs down the mountain my hands hurt. a guy i was riding with said it's because i have soft grips and i'm squeezing harder to get a good grip on the bars. he suggested i get harder grips and it would reduce how hard i grip the bars...

?? any suggestions, or other input?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Pivotal figure
    I find that the overall thickness has more impact on my hands than the rubber compound. Too thin and I get blisters (hands kinda float around), too thick and I get fatigue (can't grip properly or reach the brakes without effort).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Grinder
    wear padded gloves
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I find that the overall thickness has more impact on my hands than the rubber compound. Too thin and I get blisters (hands kinda float around), too thick and I get fatigue (can't grip properly or reach the brakes without effort).
    I found the same thing with thicker grips. My hands would get fatigued faster. I haven't had any issues with the thinner grips that I run, but maybe they just aren't that thin. I've had really good luck with the ODI Ruffian grips, FWIW.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    It's typically the thickness of the rubber of the grip and not the compound itself. I was having the same problem. Was using the Specialized Thin lock on grip and I was getting major blisters and my knuckles would be sore after a while. Switched to the ODI Rogue and haven't had any problems since.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Definitely try them out before you buy if possible. Although not a major investment, $20-$30 for grips a couple of times can add up. It really comes down to personal preference and your anatomy/size and shape of your hands. I found that for me the Rogues were a little too thick compared with the Ruffians. I have ridden on both. I ended up putting the Rogues on my wife's bike and she seems content with them. Not sure she would be able to tell the difference at this point.

mtbr member
    thank you all for the advice, i'll have to do some shopping
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most hand pain goes away with more experience. As you get more comfortable on the bike, you won't squeeze the grips, and you will start anticipating the jolts and picking smoother lines.

That said, there are two grips that work very well: ODI lock-on Ruffians for smaller hands, and Rogues for larger hands. I run unpadded XL motocross gloves (absolutely cannot stand padded gloves) and Rogue grips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    so what the guy said before

im the stage of learning to jump and trail ride stuff

i think its got more to do with how tense you're body is

i found the more relaxed you are the less have soft girp or firm grips is going to matter

i have found in sports that technique is about over half of it have good technique you dont have to worry

mtbr member
    put one grip on the left...and a different one on the right.
    take a few runs to see which feels better.

my experience led to thinner grips (I've tried EVERY ODI)
    I think my last choice were the Chargers...I think Lizard Skins makes them. Just like ODI.

As for gloves. I run them TIGHT. Baggie and loose fitting gloves cause friction, and the constant sliding back and forth with sweaty hands will cause blisters.

Try adjusting your bar too. A little tweak makes a big difference on how you grip, and the overall tension placed on your fingers, hands, wrists, forearms...etc...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ESI grips. They are not the longest lasting, but they are comfortable as hell, and great against numbness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    ESI grips. They are not the longest lasting, but they are comfortable as hell, and great against numbness.
    second that. throw some of these on the bar ends and the grips won't get shredded as fast.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  7.3 KB
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra