mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Slim Jim pedals - not very grippy

Not sure which forum to post this in...

I bought a pair of Gusset Slim Jim pedals. I've always used clipless pedals until now, but ...and don't laugh... I've bought a recumbent, and it has rather evil low speed handling, and I need to be able to bail out pretty quickly!

I bought the Slim Jim pedals, and then I bought a pair of Marzocchi Bomber shoes (with the Five Ten soles) thinking I'd be sticking to the pedals. However, it's not great. I know the recumbent riding position isn't ideal, but even when scraping my foot from the front to rear of the pedal I find it's not gripping very well, and when riding, my feet are moving all over the pedals.

Are all flat pedals going to be like this, or are the Slim Jims particularly poor in the grip department?

I don't mind splashing out for a superlight set of pedals - the Slim Jims were cheap, but they're also pretty heavy. I thought they'd just be a temporary measure, but I do like the idea of a flat pedal if I could get one that worked for me.

jtd
    mtbr member
    Not that I have or will ever ride a recumbent, but there is no way it is the pedals or the shoes... It is the position. With no weight on your feet no flat pedal will be sticky at all... No matter what brand or shoe you are using. Get clipless and learn how to get out of them quickly. Then use the 5.10s and flats on your 'real' bike.

Jake

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for that, Jake. I just wasn't sure if a pedal with more or sharper spikes would be better. I have clipless on all my other bikes, and normally don't feel safe unless I'm securely clipped in. I'll put a pair on the (obviously dorky) recumbent once I get a bit more used to it...

Meh.
    I'm pretty sure the Gusset Slim Jims Magnesium pedals are the same as Wellgo Mg-52 pedals, one of the lighter pedals on the market.

But what Jake said is spot on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Havent read what the other comments say, BUT. I bought them pedals last month and they are TERRIBLE. The worst flats i have ever used. They work ok in dry smooth places. As soon as it gets bumpy and slippy (which it does in scotland), these things are out of their comfourt zone. Good looking pedals with no grip, and bad durability.
    Definetly check out some of the older threads for flat pedals. I know its about choice but flat pedals are great for freeride and any other riding in my opinion.
    Im getting Straitlines, check em out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's interesting, MaxBS. I'm in Scotland too! My LBS didn't have the mags in stock, so I went with the standard ones (keen to get the bike on the road). I liked the idea of the flats, but they weren't gripping my standard SPD shoes very well, so I read about the 5.10s and ordered a pair of those. Still disappointed. I'm not sure if it's because there are no pins in the centre of the pedals (in the dip), or if the 'spikes' aren't very sharp or something. I'll look into the Straitlines. I'd also read about the Syncros - they look quite aggressive, but are very heavy. I run titanium Speedplays on my fixie so anything over about 160g a pair seems heavy to me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey
    Its not really to do with where the pins are possitioned, and even though there is a pin upgrade which will improve grip, i wouldnt look into that.
    Fairly light, good looking, but the arent durable and arent grippy at all. Especially when hitting a slippy corner or a rock garden where the bike can become unpredictable, you need a solid platform and grippy.
    If your have feet under size 10 then consider the DMR V12's. Everyone loves them, very grippy, durable and fairly cheap, but they are a small platform, so not good for people with big feet.
    www.bikeradar.com has a section on pedals.
    Heres some options and popular pedals
    DMR v12 grippy, fairly cheap durable
    Easton Flatboy Very grippy, very durable fairly cheap at CRC and a big platform
    Syncros Good build quality and great grip, but very heavy and expensive
    CC 50/50 XX mixed reviews, friend of mine hates them, no grip at all acording to him
    Straitlines great build quality, very grippy, durable and cool colors expensive though. (www.dropnzone has them cheap and they ship to the uk)

There you go

Meh.
    You really don't need pins in the center. Pins in the center will probably make your foot sit on top rather than bite in. You can try longer pins along the outside, and shorter in the middle. This will give a more concave profile. I've ridden those pedals for dirtjumping with skate shoes. They gripped alright. The 50/50 are far worse than the Wellgo/Gusset.

The 510s may not be working well because of the position and the stiff sole.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all that. I'll look into the pedals you mentioned.