nomad03

slayer ss 396 can I use a 180mm fork?

Is anyone running a setup like this. I ended up with a slayer SS 396 it doesn't have a ton of travel but is a fun bike. I was thinking of putting a single crown long travel fork on the front and make it my shuttle bike.

EastBaySteez
    I would just throw a good 160mm fork on there. Its already plenty slack for what it is. Looks like a very fun bike!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have a kona bass ss frame im building up and im keeping the travel at 100mm so its even with the rear, i could run another inch but i think it would be overkill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rode a SS 396 last July. The bike had a 7" coil Fox shock and & a DHX 5.0. The RM handled really well and the bike had enough cush for shuttle runs. I only rode around Fromme and Seymour but I think it would handle a park.

You should get a Fox 180 van rc2 fit. Everyone's raging about it around here. I purchased one a couple of weeks ago but it's just sitting next to my new FR build so I can't tell how great it works.

I have a pic of the 396 but can't seem to shrink it to fit here. Tell me how to post it or PM me with your email if you want the pic.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    I have a pic of the 396 but can't seem to shrink it to fit here. Tell me how to post it or PM me with your email if you want the pic.
    I use microsoft office picture manager, Go to the PICTURE tab at the top, go near the bottom and click RESIZE, the on the right side of the screen a bar will appear, choose preset dimension, then click Web (Large). The when posting a reply click go advanced. click the paperclip at the top, browse your documents for the resized picture (you have to save the resized verion) and click upload. The window will let you know when the upload is complete. after it's complete you can close the picture upload window. To insert the picture click the downward pointing triangle next to the paperclip, and you will see a list of uploaded pictures. Click the one you want to add, and have the cursor set to where you want the picture added (before or after certain text). Whe you add it some wierd text will appear. that wierd text IS YOUR PICTURE. click "preview post" to make sure it in there....

Hope this helped. good luck, cant wait to see your bike...

If you dont know how to open a picture in microsoft office picture manager, right click the picture you want to resize, find the "open with" option, then on the list that appears when its highlighted see if you can find microsoft office picture manager. if not let me know and ill see if i can figure out where it is in the program files

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Moosey! I used Windows Live photo gallery.

Here's the bike but it's not mine... Peep the Endless Biking sticker on the top tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slayer ss 396 can I use a 180mm fork?-pictures-imported-102810-300-640x480-.jpg  

I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thats a 160mm Fox fork. My 396 has a Van 180 on it and it works well with a zero stack headset. With a conventional head it would be too high. I have some pics in the RM forum. RM does not recommend the longer fork though. The bike was a blast at Whistler and Mt Washington this last summer!