mtbr member
    May 2006

Sky Tavern, Reno, NV

Anyone ridden here? Hows it compare to North Star?
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Moose Member
    Check out their Facebook Page. Jim Severt (Hacksaw) is building the place in the summer, so you know it's going to be good. Theres dual slalom races planned, and lots of trails/features going in! It's expanding super fast, and will continue to all summer (unlike northstar who has only built 3 new features in 4 years... or something.)

I'm headed up there pretty soon to help build stuff, so I'll let you know what's going down. The slopestyle course and dual slalom are 100% happening (dual slalom is almost done, and Paul B's old compound features got donated to Sky Tavern, meaning a wallride and a huge ass whale tail). I've heard of a few more trails in the works, and some big stuff going down. I'll let you know what's happening after I get up there.

I can tell you I'm planning 70% sky tavern, and 30% of my summer at Northstar, but that might change once I see Sky tavern. Jim is one of the best builders I've met, so you know he's going to build fun, awesome, and big stuff. I've dug with him a few times out at his dirtjumps (Which IMO put the Post Office jumps in Aptos to shame) and Jim is one of the sickest people I've met. He's funny, friendly, and a true badass.

All I can say for sure is watch out for it this season! The one difference between Sky Tavern and Northstar is that Sky tavern cares (northstar doesn't). It's run by a badass biker and his badass biker friends who care about bikes and bikes only. Lot's of maintenance will be done to keep trails running smooth, and big features are going in (compared to northstars biggest feature which is a 6-8" drop... wow). It might not hit Northstar levels this year, but in the next year or two it probably will become a lot better than Northstar.

FACEBOOK STATUS UPDATES FROM SKY TAVERN:

https://www.facebook.com/SkyTavernMtbPark?fref=ts

"Slope park is laid out and I am starting construction probably Friday, also the Dual looks good and I will be making the changes to it for Summer Dual Series racing here in the next few weeks. Good things are about to happen at Sky Tavern."

From last year:"Saturday October 20th from 11:00 AM to 4:30PM we are going to do a test opening with full lift access . Lift tickets are going to be $20.00 and this basically covers our power bill to run the lift. If you have volunteered please let us know ahead of thim so we can adjust or comp you your ticket. We really want your feedback after you have ridden for the afternoon so please take the time to fill out a questionnaire and if you are of legal age have a tasty adult beverage at the end of the day with us. Our purpose is to create a Mountain Bike Park for all of us to be able to utilize and enjoy for years to come, so constructive criticism and or ideas are greatly appreciated."

also from last year:"Cam Zink is a Sky Tavern Local ( from back in the day) Look for a very special Jump line from the Sensus / 2Six Stallion later this fall."

Sky Tavern DH Race Run on Pinkbike

Professional Troll
    Looks fun and sounds encouraging. Hopefully that could finally embarrass northstar enough so that they lift a finger with their bike park.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=Moosey;10393041]Check out their Facebook Page. Jim Severt (Hacksaw) is building the place in the summer, so you know it's going to be good. Theres dual slalom races planned, and lots of trails/features going in! It's expanding super fast, and will continue to all summer (unlike northstar who has only built 3 new features in 4 years... or something.)

I'm headed up there pretty soon to help build stuff, so I'll let you know what's going down. The slopestyle course and dual slalom are 100% happening (dual slalom is almost done, and Paul B's old compound features got donated to Sky Tavern, meaning a wallride and a huge ass whale tail). I've heard of a few more trails in the works, and some big stuff going down. I'll let you know what's happening after I get up there.

Yea, I've been keep ing up with them on Facebook since last fall. Looks like an awsome park. Thy're open to ridder input, and even lets you help out with the building, unlike North Star.

mtbr member
    Keep us updated, would love to have a place other than Northstar to mix it up.

mtbr member
    PB is a rad dude. He and my brother grew up riding together. Pretty cool of him to give the features to the project.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Moose Member
    PB is rad. I've met him two or three times, just at the local jumps, he really is a nice guy. The first time I talked to him for a few minutes, then got to watch him shred. he's soo smooth. The second time I saw him, I figured i wouldn't bother him, but he approached me and talked to me. It surprised me that a pro would take the time to see how I'm doing.

Anywho, the features He donated are sick! Can't wait to see how it's going at Sky Tavern. I'm headed up with the "Fallon Crew" (me and my 2 friends from fallon) on Friday, and I'll let ya'll know how it looks.

Proud lame eBiker
    subscribed! cant wait to see the goods up there.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Chilidog!
    Subscribed.

Gnarly
    Nice run. I liked the video

Thanks for the links Moosey
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moose Member
    Woot Woot! Just got back, and man am I beat. Dug for quite a while up there. Jim decided he wanted our help working on the dual slalom course, because there is a race coming up pretty soon. He got a good course built at the end of last season for the collegiate races, but It wasn't what he wanted. We helped add fun section that extended the top quite a ways, and there's still some more extension planned. Get stoked, dual slalom racing is going to be intense. We built a slick rhythm section today, that can be hit in many different ways.

I also talked to Jim a lot about whats going down. Right now there are 3 trails built and ready to ride. He's got another DH trail coming up pretty soon, as well as a beginner/kids trail (super mellow green trail). By the end of the year he hopes to have 7 trails done.

Another thing that will set sky tavern apart from Northstar (besides the care and maintenance put into the park) is Jim isn't afraid to build big things. We discussed a 30 foot step down today. Northstar doesn't have anything over 10 feet (drop wise) and about 20 feet (table top jump). 15' drops might be common at sky tavern.

Fun day digging though. Got a lot of work done. The place is rocky though. we had to dig out tons of huge boulders (bigger than my torso), but the slalom track looks sleek. You guys can catch me up there racing in the beginners category.

Went on a quick picture hunt, here's some of the action from the college dual slalom race. At the end of the course (about last 2 turns) it turns into a single lane, in an all out last chance battle (apparently the girls races were brutal.)

(edit, only one picture would work. I might post some I got later.)

Sky Tavern, Reno, NV-slalom-1.jpg

Moose Member
    Here's some quick pics I grabbed while digging

Roughed in a cool section of the dual slalom.

Jim manning the tractor

Jim let me take his Konig 7-8 for a spin.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They'll just buy them out at that point. just like all the larger ski resorts have been buying all the smaller resorts lately.

Professional Troll
    Any updates on this place? Anything happening there still this summer?

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    FB page had an update on July 2:

Due to circumstances that are a little out of our control , the Dual Slalom race for this weekend is going to be postponed we will reschedule for August and make it an amazing event, we will also have more races slated for September and October for your Dual Slalom racing pleasure .

Q: whats up with the other trails, is the rest of the park open?
    A: No! Until we find funding it is all closed

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    FB page had an update on July 2:
    Yeah that sounds about right

Ugly As F*ck
    I had no idea this place even existed until just recently. Coming from a place where the nearest bike park is 15 hours away, I was pretty stoked on getting to move to Reno with Northstar so close. I'll be even more so if there is another park just as close if not closer. Sure hope they can get this place open.

I hope I get to meet this Jim guy when I get out there. I'd like to lend a hand in building some if I have the time. I've seen his vids on youtube, he's a badass on a bike and from what I've heard sounds like a nice dude. He's obviously been working super hard for many years to build fun stuff for bikers to enjoy.

Does he ever use the MTBR forums?

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Does he ever use the MTBR forums?
    Nah, he hates forums. He always makes fun of them and stuff, but in a funny way.

Jim is all over the place, so I'd just get to know some of the locals, and some of the bike shops (Check out Black Rock Cycles), get to know them, and once you get in with the crowd, you'll likely meet Jim, Cam Zink, and maybe even Paul B now that he's back from injury. Reno is a suprisingly great place to ride, a lot of it is pretty secret though until you meet people.

I got lucky and met one of Jims best friends on Pinkbike, and got to meet Jim and Paul B my first time riding up there (I'm from Fallon). There's a really great group of riders, and a lot of great diggers. The one thing about Reno, is NO DIG NO RIDE, and it's a huge rule. I've been with Jim at some spot a few times, and I've dug 4 out of the 6 times I've been up there with him. Just grab a shovel and earn your ride time. All the guys there will be thankful, and trust me, it's better to be liked by them, than hated by them.

If you ever need someone to ride with one weekend, hit me up. My only other biking friend from Fallon leaves for the Army next week, so I need new friends.

BACK ON TOPIC
    Jim thought he had funding a while ago, but it must have fallen through. I started working a real job during the week and haven't been up to Sky tavern to dig for quite some time. From what I know, there should still be some slalom races and some downhill races, it just won't be open every weekend, which is a shame. I still say that in a year or two, it will be able to compete with Northstar. Jim is one of the sickest, and smartest builders out there.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Nah, he hates forums. He always makes fun of them and stuff, but in a funny way.

Jim is all over the place, so I'd just get to know some of the locals, and some of the bike shops (Check out Black Rock Cycles), get to know them, and once you get in with the crowd, you'll likely meet Jim, Cam Zink, and maybe even Paul B now that he's back from injury. Reno is a suprisingly great place to ride, a lot of it is pretty secret though until you meet people.

I got lucky and met one of Jims best friends on Pinkbike, and got to meet Jim and Paul B my first time riding up there (I'm from Fallon). There's a really great group of riders, and a lot of great diggers. The one thing about Reno, is NO DIG NO RIDE, and it's a huge rule. I've been with Jim at some spot a few times, and I've dug 4 out of the 6 times I've been up there with him. Just grab a shovel and earn your ride time. All the guys there will be thankful, and trust me, it's better to be liked by them, than hated by them.

If you ever need someone to ride with one weekend, hit me up. My only other biking friend from Fallon leaves for the Army next week, so I need new friends.
    I ran across some posts of his when I was researching Reno and the trails in the area, but they were old posts, I think on ridemonkey. He's probably too busy riding and building to use forums anyway.

Is there anything to ride out near Fallon or is Reno your closest spot?

That would be crazy to meet guys like Paul and Cam. I'm quite reclusive by nature so it will be a bit of a culture shock to start interacting with a lot of people who are into the same thing I am. I suppose it will be worth it though if it means more spots to ride, that's the whole reason I'm moving out there after all is to ride.

Once I get settled in I should be free most weekends, so I will let you know. Just be forewarned, I'm probably what you'd consider a grom when it comes to DH and DJ stuff. Might be a minute before I develop some skills, haha. But I'd love to ride with people who are better than me, that'll be the best way for me to progress I'm sure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jim can get the funding needed to make his bike park a reality. My pockets aren't very deep, but I can help out with good old fashioned manual labor. And I'd definitely get a season pass, if something like that is available, when the park opens.