General Rabble-Rouser

sizing up leg armour for two different people

Hey, I'm new to posting at MTBR, but been lurking around for a while learning and searching

It's time to size up some Knee/shin guards for myself and my girlfriend who also enjoys to ride. Now here are the questions

I am looking at getting her a set of the Fox Launch guards, but am a little fuzzy on the sizing for the SM/MD, she's 6'0 with slender legs. Who out there wears em, and how do they fit?

Second
    I am looking at either a set of Roach F/R or a set of THE Storm Guards
    --to anyone who has a pair of the Storms --
    How do the Storms go on? do you put them on like a sock? Is the Aeroprene comfortable? can you pedal in them? how, where are the velcro straps?
    they look so much lighter than the Roach set, but I don't want to take off my shoes to get them off
    I can only find the THE factory pic of them at all the dealers, and hardly a word on actual use. 70 bucks is a lot to drop only based on hope, and internet returns are always a PITA

I've read a lot on sizing issues with the roach gear, the FR fits big, the DH fits small, at 6'2 with a 34" inseam should I go Large in the FR or will the straps be ungodly long?

How's the new mesh back on the DH? are they really hot?

so many questions

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    Hey
    I can only find the THE factory pic of them at all the dealers, and hardly a word on actual use. 70 bucks is a lot to drop only based on hope, and internet returns are always a PITA

I've read a lot on sizing issues with the roach gear, the FR fits big, the DH fits small, at 6'2 with a 34" inseam should I go Large in the FR or will the straps be ungodly long?

How's the new mesh back on the DH? are they really hot?

so many questions

weight has some things to do with it too....I can wear and XL or L (6 feet 1 inch and 210 lbs.) 32 inseam....I would get the XL personally.......I personally like the protection for the calf on the back.....Raceface/Roach (same thing) are worth every penny...they don't fall off your legs during a crash
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Just as a refrence guide:

I am 5'11' Waist is 34", and weight about 175
    SixSixOne 4X4 Shinpads: Medium

Medium is really a good size to go with if you aren't totally sure. My legs aren't exactly huge, but the pads fit nice and snug on me. If you got large legs Large wouldn't be a bad consideration.

XL though? Cmon....its for SMT, what do you expect?
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Just as a refrence guide:

I am 5'11' Waist is 34", and weight about 175
    SixSixOne 4X4 Shinpads: Medium

?
    waist 36
    6'1" give me a break but I currently use the large
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    weight has some things to do with it too....I can wear and XL or L (6 feet 1 inch and 210 lbs.) 32 inseam....I would get the XL personally.......I personally like the protection for the calf on the back.....Raceface/Roach (same thing) are worth every penny...they don't fall off your legs during a crash

How would a set of large roach DH fit under a pair of cargo pants?

Anyone with the SM/MD Launch pads out there?

Natural body armor
    I am 6'2" at 210# with 34 inseam. I spent some time researching for the ideal knee pads, cos if they don't fit well they are a pain to wear.
    We are all different so what fits me may not fit you. In my case after trying Fox and 661 I ended up with the Roach/Raceface.
    I tried them at the shop and was amazed how comfortable they felt.
    I was undecided on the size so I tried both L and XL: I did not notice any significant difference in fitting as the straps are fairly adjustable.
    The L size left about 2 inches of my lower shin exposed, while the XL covers me all the way to the ankle (without interfering with my shoes).

Other than that they felt almost identical, but I ended up with the XL because of the added protection.
    I can only recommend Roach FR (and I ended up buying the elbow pads as well).

As I said we're all different, so the best way is to go to the shop with your GF and try then on.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

General Rabble-Rouser
    alas I haven't the luxury of shopping around in my town, that's why I need to be extra careful with the hassle of intarweb orders

my LBS can't get a lot of items like Rockgardn and THE, and can only really order anything 661 or roach, so I don't wanna return stuff with them if it's ordered wrong. No one in TOWN stocks anything Fox besides t-shirts, and the shop that stocks some Roach gear are total staffed by total knobs

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    How would a set of large roach DH fit under a pair of cargo pants?

Anyone with the SM/MD Launch pads out there?
    you will be fine...............

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

The Small/Medium Launch pads

the Sm/md Fit me pretty well. I rented them for a day. The large were too long for me.

I am 5-8 170# with skinny ankles and larger calfs from soccer. 31.5" inseam.

They iritated / scratched my calfs from the velocro. They also kind of dug into the top of my knee cap a little. There is not any protection in the rear of the legs. But they did stay put all day long.

I just bought the Medium 661 race lights and they fit me better than the fox's and have more protection in the sides of the leg and they protect most of my calf. I have not ridden with them yet though.