Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bikes Rule

Sinister F-Bomb finished

Finally got the F-Bomb finished. The color is raw and it truly is "raw". Out of heat treat and slightly cleaned up. No paint, no polish, no nuthin'. The final weight came to 38.75 lbs with a non weight weenie build. It is about 2 lbs less than my Highline which is impressive. Looking forward to the first ride.

Those looking for a few numbers:

Wheelbase: 46.25"
    Chainstay: 17"
    BB height: 14.5" (center of cranks)

The final build:

09 Sinister F-Bomb
    09 Vivid 5.1
    08 Totem Coil
    Avid Codes F/R w 8 rotors
    DT/Swiss 440 F/R hubs laced to Mavic EX823
    Highroller UST rear/DHF UST front
    Saint Cranks/BB w/38t chainring
    LG-1 Chainguide
    Thomson X4 Elite stem, 31.8mm, 50mm
    Truvativ Hussefelt bar 31.8mm
    Cane Creek Double-X headset
    SRAM PG-980 9-speed cassette
    SRAM X-9 gripshift
    SRAM X-9 Rear derailleur
    SRAM PC-971 chain
    Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    Macneil pivotal post, 27.2mm
    Pivotal saddle
    Salsa post clamp
    ODI Rogue lock-on grips

mtbr member
    pretty sick rig you got there I'm really liking the raw finish. Idk about thouse grip shifters though lol jk
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    excellent build! how much does the frame weigh?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Really sweet looking build, agree'd re. the grip shifter - never been a fan but otherwise awesome, enjoy it
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    That is a sweet build man.
    I'm on one of the last production Sinister R9s, and wouldn't trade that bike for anything! Frank really knows his f-in business when it comes to welding quality DH frames.

Now, I'm sure the floodgates of e-hate are about to open up with all the "omg, not another IronWhores Yakuza" comments.. but all that BS is coming from people who have never even seen a Sinister DH frame in person, much less actually ridden one.

Enjoy it!

check your six
    Man that is nice! Loving the Raw look! Congrats
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    That is a sweet build man.
    I'm on one of the last production Sinister R9s, and wouldn't trade that bike for anything! Frank really knows his f-in business when it comes to welding quality DH frames.

Now, I'm sure the floodgates of e-hate are about to open up with all the "omg, not another IronWhores Yakuza" comments.. but all that BS is coming from people who have never even seen a Sinister DH frame in person, much less actually ridden one.

Enjoy it!
    Yep you nailed it. Every bike nowadays looks like something else. "Looks like" does not equal "rides like". I am super stoked on how it came out. If it ever stops raining I might actually be able to get on the thing. Looking forward to the initial ride.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Sick.

What's with the twist shift haters? I think it is far superior compared to triggers in every way. Less weight, simple design, less things sticking off your bars to smack knees / grab clothing, faster shifting, more natural feel... only thing I'd change is to just cut down a regular ODI grip and lose the inner lock ring. The shorty lock ons are a bit too narrow for me and I didn't like the feel of the inner lockring under my hand. Also, the smaller grip cover option mates perfectly with cut down Ruffians (in diameter).

Do you still have the Highline?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    wow looks great. Also curious on the frame weight if you know it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    wow looks great. Also curious on the frame weight if you know it.
    the frame weight without shock or spring (with all hardware etc.) is under 6.5 lbs.

there are a couple running around at 36 lbs.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Sick.

What's with the twist shift haters? I think it is far superior compared to triggers in every way. Less weight, simple design, less things sticking off your bars to smack knees / grab clothing, faster shifting, more natural feel... only thing I'd change is to just cut down a regular ODI grip and lose the inner lock ring. The shorty lock ons are a bit too narrow for me and I didn't like the feel of the inner lockring under my hand. Also, the smaller grip cover option mates perfectly with cut down Ruffians (in diameter).

Do you still have the Highline?
    Agreed on the shifters. I have been running grip shifts for at least 15 years. Just love them. 3 moving parts, slim, multiple shifts up or down at once, etc. The X-9 is the best feeling shifter yet. I don't mind the inner lockring. I guess I am just so used to the feel.

No I sold the Highline frame and swapped the parts over. Saved almost 2 pounds. Amazing. Even with a semi-heavy build it is under 39 lbs. Cranks and wheels are heavy but overall the build is indestructable. In fact this is the 3rd frame these parts have been on. I still am waiting to get out and get the first ride in. It rains everyday I am not working.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by verticult
    the frame weight without shock or spring (with all hardware etc.) is under 6.5 lbs.

wow... thats ridiculously light

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by verticult

I think my blindside just threw up it's breakfast.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike, I'd never seen that frame built up before but it looks like a nice FR setup. Amazing that your bike comes in under 39lbs even without running super light parts. That is one light frame. I have a Highline that I have spent a fortune on to get the weight down while keeping it beefy and I'm still over 38lbs.
    Have a nice ride!

Bikes Rule
    Yes the frame is insanely light. I remember pulling it out of the box and thinking something was missing. But there are no shorcuts on the frame at all. The thing is stiff and solid.

Build More = Ride More
    You've angered the Turner Gods.

At least some lucky fool got a Highline out of this.

I like the raw look though.
    Last edited by YoPawn; 06-18-2009 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    if any of the manufacturers were stoked on their frame weights, they would be posting them. It seems that all the technology and effort went into high volume AM bikes at most brands and their DH programs lost focus. I took the fact that riders were buying AM bikes for DH that people wanted light DH bikes. People that raced AM bikes commented on flex and fear. We addressed these issues and released a rock solid, ultra light DH rig.

I am pretty sure all the gods are pissed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Love the build! You have me thinking about running a grip shift on my next bike. I use one for the FD and love it, but maybe for the RD next time??
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Holy crap Frank forget DH, that's my new xc bike. My DNA frame weighs the same as that.

Any idea if the frame would work well with an air shock like a Rocco, or maybe one of the new rock shox piggy back air shocks. Just bouncing weight weenie ideas around in my head.

mtbr member
    Very nice looking bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There's a link out there for Frank the Welder's flickr account, and there are pictures and video of people STANDING on the swingarm without any flexing. Truly ridiculous that something that strong is that light.

Say what you want about the aesthetics (I have, I still don't think it's as beautiful as the R9), but functionally speaking, i.e. what really matters, the thing is a marvel.
    Last edited by Hesh to Steel; 06-24-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: tiny keyboard=typos

Bikes Rule
    The video of the frame standing is awesome. Saw that a while back. I personally like the aesthetics of the frame. What I care about most is that the bike is stiff, flickable and rides well. If it ever stops raining I will get a chance to ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The video of the frame standing is awesome. Saw that a while back. I personally like the aesthetics of the frame. What I care about most is that the bike is stiff, flickable and rides well. If it ever stops raining I will get a chance to ride it.
    Haha, are you in the northeast? if so, I believe summer has been cancelled for us.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    those little bikes are sick, I have ridden one quite abit, I really like it. Curious, how is the alignment with the rear shock? Make sure it isnt binding up in the shock. The 3 I have seen had the rear eyelet off set from the front eyelet by about 1/4" to 3/8". Started to kill the vivid bushings. Pop the shock out quick to check! Sweet build too, havnt ridden one with a totem!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    those little bikes are sick, I have ridden one quite abit, I really like it. Curious, how is the alignment with the rear shock? Make sure it isnt binding up in the shock. The 3 I have seen had the rear eyelet off set from the front eyelet by about 1/4" to 3/8". Started to kill the vivid bushings. Pop the shock out quick to check! Sweet build too, havnt ridden one with a totem!
    Interesting. I spoke to Frank to let him know that the tolerance of the lower shock mount was tight in that I had to sand a bit off to get the lower shock mount to fit. But didn't appear that the alignment was off at all from top to lower mounts. Once I was able to get the shock in the lower mount it lined right up to the top one. He did mention that he has a tendency to make the tolerance tight. I have been working at a shop for 15 years so I had no problem determining that it needed a touch of clean-up.

What is bothering me is that the spring feels like it does not fit correctly in the shock. It feels like the spring has movement within the adjustment sleeve no matter how tight I adjust the compression. It seems like the diameter of the spring is a bit small for the retainers/adjustment sleeve (whatever the 2 pieces are called) and it moves slightly. By slightly I mean when I grab the spring i can rock it slightly within the sleeves. I tried flipping the spring but it does not help. I guess as long as it doesn't flop around it should be OK. I will give SRAM a call just to check.

I haven't ridden it beyond the driveway test so I don't know how it will feel just yet. Yes I am in RI so it has rained everyday for the last 45 or so. Sucks.
    Last edited by Demo-9; 06-25-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast