Thread: simple green

mtbr member

simple green

I am moving some new componenets from my dirt jump bike to my new downhill bike, but these components were used for about 8 months, still work great just kinda dirty.
    is simple green something to use when tearing the new parts of the dj and moving them to my downhill bike? whats good to clean dirty components, and readying them for a new bike.
    parts in question
    brakes, cranks, handlebar, pedals, front wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Thread Killer
    some people say that simple green eats away at the paint of your bike, but others swear by it. i've used simple green all over my bike, and haven't had any issues...in fact, i've had a number of bike shop employees tell me that simple green is absolutely fine.

Is flexy
    At the shop we us simple green in ultrasonic cleaners. I also spray my bike down with it before rinsing after muddy rides. Other than doing a damn good job of cleaning I haven't noticed any other effects. No paint peeling or anything like that in my experience.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    simple green likes to munch on aluminum, i use diesel. it's cheap and works good. to anyone who thinks it's dangerous

i've never had a problem with it eating plastic...

if your worried just go buy some bike cleaner

Professional Troll
    Simple green is fine for parts, just make sure you water it down, like 1:8 SG:water

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Simple Green is basically the same product formula wise as Pedro's Green Fizz; which of course is bicycle specific. Just be sure to water it down. Those people who were having paint problems may have been using too high of a concentrate.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    great to use, but make sure you dilute it like mentioned above.

mtbr member
    For heavily greased parts like cranks, chains and cassettes, i use good old petrol (not on rubber parts of course) then rinse down with water, and for chains i then soak them in 2 stroke oil then wipe heavily. Been doing it for years and have not had one problem with chemical attack etc, gets everything sparkling clean to and the chain stays nice and lubed.

With todays petrol prices, im soon going to have to find a new cleaner...