Cynical Bystander

Should I race Junior Beginner, Sport, or Expert?

As I'm sure some if not most people here saw that this season NORBA has divided up the Junior into Beginner Sport and Expert divisions. Gonna be doing my first dh race at Angel Fire in early June and wondering what you guys think I should race in. I've heard that its better to race in the higher series but I'd like to actually win a few times . What do you guys think?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Don't try to be a superstar all at once, you'll burn up, burn out, and bail out. Go beginner, you can always upgrade your class later this season or next season. Angel Fire has a pretty nasty rock garden section in it that eats novices alive who aren't ready for it. Just take it easy, ride smooth. Let your race results, not your eagerness, determine your race class. If your beginner times are equal to the mid packers in the next class up, move up. Otherwise, kick back and learn a bit. I've always said I'd rather finish mid pack in expert than to finish first in beginner class. But I also did my time, a few races, as a beginner.

-Zoom

mtbr member

Im hoping...

To make it to angel fire real bad too. I think ill race junior beginner or sport. I don't think ull want to race expert because its most likeyly gunna be 15-18 yrs old and there will be people in the likes of sam hill who raced junior X and put times right with the pros so id steer clear of expert unless ur super confident. Anyway hope I can make it to angel fire thatd be killer to kick it with da MTBR homies there.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    To make it to angel fire real bad too. I think ill race junior beginner or sport. I don't think ull want to race expert because its most likeyly gunna be 15-18 yrs old and there will be people in the likes of sam hill who raced junior X and put times right with the pros so id steer clear of expert unless ur super confident. Anyway hope I can make it to angel fire thatd be killer to kick it with da MTBR homies there.
    That would be sweet to hook up with another mtbr homie out there! I think I'm pretty much for sure going, most likely camping out there.
    Here's a site with a bit more info if you haven't seen it yet,
    http://www.cyclecyndicate.com/events...fire/index.htm
    I think I'll end up racing Junior Beginner or Sport, you can always upgrade to a higher class can't you? If you do end up going definitely PM me or email me like the weekend before so we can get phone numbers and hook up or something.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well i just went to a race at massanutten last weekend and got 1st place in 16 & under beginner. woulda gotten 2nd in 16 & under sport class. i think it might be time for me to move up to sport. i think if you are any good you should just do sport. there seem to be alot of really slow people in the junior beginner classes.