V-Shaped Rut

Shock setup for freeride?

Hi all, total n00b question here. I was riding hardtail XC bikes for a long time and just bought a new santa cruz 5010/solo. I set the sag on the shocks per the manufacturer's specs and even let a little air out of the rear for comfort. On XC trails that has worked just fine.

We have a local MTB park and I had been in it on my hardtails but never done any of the more serious features. Well, one week into ownership of the new bike and I've been hitting all the jumps/drops on the intermediate freeride trails and some of the 'expert' labelled stuff.

Two days ago I ended up bottoming the fork at the bottom of a tall and STEEP ladder roll in to a step up. Like it clanked, ouch! I put some air in the rear shock this morning and rode again today. No bottoming, but the little rubber band shock things show I'm using pretty much *ALL* the travel of my 130mm revelation front and 125mm fox CTD rear.

First off, I love this ****! Wish I would have started with the jumps earlier in life considering I'm a snowboarder from tahoe and love parks.

Second, do I just need to air up the shocks more for the park, or have I simply bought too little shock or too little bike for serious park riding? If too little shock what should I be looking at? I know the pike is available (but F'in expensive), have no idea about something more beefy in the rear.

And pics to show what I'm riding. That second one is what bottomed the shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shock setup for freeride?-image.jpg  

Shock setup for freeride?-duthie7.jpg  

Shock setup for freeride?-duthie1.jpg  

Shock setup for freeride?-duthie3.jpg  

Shock setup for freeride?-duthie4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice pics of duthie man. Upping the pressure is the quickest way to remedy our problem. If your hitting jumps more and more and find your bike not suitable you could pick up a dirt jumper for relatively cheap of pink bike. I'll be up at duthie Saturday, probably, and if your their and need/want anything just shoot me a pm.

V-Shaped Rut
    Haha! Now you've got me on pinkbike looking at $2k DJ bikes.

But I'll try some more air in the shocks first. I normally hit duthie weekday mornings to avoid crowds. Weekends are XC time which is why I'm trying to keep this bike relatively light. I like the idea of a 'do it all' ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was planning on going up in the morning to beat the crowds and the heat too. I usually hang out near Semper Diriticus and ride a black hard tail with a gold stanchion fork. If you plan on keeping your bike light I would defiantly pick up a used dj, also your XC bike isn't exactly designed for that type of repeated abuse.