Thread: shiver vs rc3

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

shiver vs rc3

Hi, this may seem like a stupid question but for some reason the shivers appeal to me! Will i be missing out by not going with the new technology? I am a light rider so figured the reported flex of the shivers wouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'd wait for new inverted technology, stick with an rc3 for now or wait till dvo releases its fork
    Just another redneck with a bike

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    I'd wait for new inverted technology, stick with an rc3 for now or wait till dvo releases its fork
    Shiver has no parts and they are getting more and more rare

If you like inverted get one of theses
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

GAME ON!
    you can buy a shiver for $300-400 used OR buy a DVO for maybe $1700-2500. totally the same thing.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Are people allergic to the Manitou Dorado or something? Sounds like a great inverted option, but you never hear about them...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Are people allergic to the Manitou Dorado or something? Sounds like a great inverted option, but you never hear about them...
    I have yet to see one, but from what I can tell, have read, and looking at specs, I'd put one of these on a DH build if I had the coin. Good fork, has been out there for years, the only complaint that I've heard from riders is that its flexy (not always bad, not always good). I'd still wait till the DVO is out just to see how others think they compare head to head (and to see if marz releases a new shiver)
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Shivers are reliable but they are damped "differently" than the RC3. The technology in each is not vastly different, but the RC3 gives you more adjustment, which is a good thing. The Shiver has, to my knowledge, a shimstack on the high speed compression piston. It seems to work well but doesn't have a lot of low speed compression.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the input! As saturnine mentioned there is a slight difference in price between shivers and dvo's fork haha, it is unfortunately not an option Think i'm going to give a shiver a go, if it isn't what i'm after it can always be sold!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Dorado's use one of the best dampers available IMO. They are around, but they are expensive so you dont see them often. They are releasing a new version for $500 cheaper in 2013. Same internals but 6000 series aluminum rather then 7000 series, so its 120 grams heavier. Still $1200.00 bucks though. (pricepoint has then for $900 though)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrie173 View Post
    Thanks for the input! As saturnine mentioned there is a slight difference in price between shivers and dvo's fork haha, it is unfortunately not an option Think i'm going to give a shiver a go, if it isn't what i'm after it can always be sold!
    Yeah, not everybody is made of money. I don't own a shiver, but I do have a monster. To my understanding, they share a similar damping system (HSCV). It seems to work very well over the rough stuff, but it is a little divey. It's not very adjustable though, so you either like it, or change the oil, or buy a new fork. The shiver only has 190mm of travel, FYI.

The shiver should be very reliable and great for a budget bike. You can probably install it and not worry about it for a long time. People go nuts for old marzocchi stuff too. It's rare to find a shiver under $250, and newer ones regularly go for $450 (they really aren't different from each other besides color). That's a 2001 fork for 2011 money. I can't seem to get anybody to buy my monster though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A buddy of mine has an old Dorado (2006-7 maybe) on his 29er (I hate 29ers but...). That fork is a tank, but it's buttery smooth, and has great mid-travel support.

DenverDH'er
    I saw a killer deal a while back on the White Brothers inverted 200mm fork. I don't know anyone who rides them, but I saw them on the Canfield Brothers bikes from time to time.
    Handmade in Grand Junction Colorado.

Anybody know anything about these?

White Brothers Groove 200 1-1/8 Threadless Downhill Fork

Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | GROOVE
    Last edited by rep_1969; 01-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apparently they are great, but heavy. And getting the axle out is meant to be a pain (IIRC).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Supposedly they have good damping and a super stiff chassis, but they're very heavy (like 9lbs). I was tempted, as you can find them on ebay for $450, new, but I decided on an 888 CR from Wheelworld for $500.