mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Shiver DC problems

Ok, so i bought a pair of shiver dc's, in "amazing condition" *cough cough*, bolted them on to my bike everything felt good apart from a small knock when the wheel came of the ground then landed again ( no noise on a compression where the wheel stayed in contact with the ground), the noise similar to that of a loose headset. Couldn't find the source of the problem so went for a test ride to see if i could find out the issue while riding. During the ride i noticed the knock was coming from the dampers at the top crown and got progressively worse as time went on. Got back, took both preload adjusters of to notice they were literally doing nothing, just sitting there. I then noticed something pretty serious, i can hold the stanchions and uppers and pull the two apart, there is literally nothing holding the dampers to the top crown. I think the preload adjuster should be attached to the top of the cartridge, holding the damper in place?
    Anybody got any ideas? If somebody has a shiver and could take a photo of the assembly with the top caps removed? Any help would be really appreciated. I'm stuck.

≈ > ♥
    If you remove the knobs, there should be some C-clips installed underneath.

The top-out noise is because of a bit of play in the C-clips, or because your clips are missing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, i figured this was the problem, my clips are stuck inside the knobs, does this mean they have snapped off?

≈ > ♥
    Those clips should be clipped to the shaft that the knob is then mounted to.

Possible your clips are stretched out, or possible the shaft groove is worn. Or they were just installed wrong...

Hard to say whats up without pics. Post some up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok, i think my damper rods (left and right leg) have actually snapped at the top. Hopefully this pic will show you what i mean.Name:  DSC_0239__1360512427_86.156.35.105.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  11.4 KB
    When i took the preload knob off, the piece with the c clip attatched actually came off with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anybody know what type of thread is used for the pre load nut? (the one pictured) i know it's reverse but that's about all i got! Figured that if i can drill the top caps out to the diameter of the threaded shaft, pull the cartridge out the top cap slightly and put a nut on it then i will have a functioning set of forks.