mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shin knee pads? Dainese? pro? evo? roach?

a buddy of mine is talking me into doing some shuttle runs. ive seen some of the pics of the stuff this guy rides!!! big, fast and steep!!!

so i need me some pads.

seems there are 2 dainese pads? the evo and the pro. both are about 80 bucks. which is pretty big money, but are they the best? if so, why?

what about others? Roach? TLD? Fox?

whos using what and why?
    i sold my Foes fly for 99p!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just ordered the rockgardn landing zone knee/shin guards and from what I hear and read they are pretty badass and at only $50 you cant go wrong.
    Here is the link to the guards:http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...hin-detail.htm

Glad to Be Alive
    big time roach/raceface fan.....love how the pad wraps around your leg....seam to stay on during a crash a lot better then other pads too....I would choose DH pads because the mesh in the back prevents pedal slap bites
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I walk up hills
    I just picked up the Roach FR, for $45 they are a great deal, very comfortable.

mtbr member
    I use Roach FR. They are very comfortable, stay in place well, and aren't super expensive. I tried some fox launch (I think that's what they were called) and they just didn't feel as comfortable and flexible as the Roaches. I say Roach FR, or if you want some calf protection, the DHs
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    big time roach/raceface fan.....love how the pad wraps around your leg....seam to stay on during a crash a lot better then other pads too....I would choose DH pads because the mesh in the back prevents pedal slap bites
    ...what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BWVDubya
    I just ordered the rockgardn landing zone knee/shin guards and from what I hear and read they are pretty badass and at only $50 you cant go wrong.
    Here is the link to the guards:http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...hin-detail.htm
    +1 on Landing Zone pads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanPCN
    +1 on Landing Zone pads.
    Thats good to know cause I havent had the chance to use em as they are in transit and wont be here til Thursday or Friday along with my new 5.10's and some other goodies

mtbr member
    I run the Lizard Skins knee/shin pads. I think they have some nice features. They fit well and protect all the vital areas. They breathe decent and can be adjusted quickly.
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

EastBaySteez

TLD T-Bone

I thought about getting the 661 Kyle Straits for a long time, tried one of my buddies and they felt GREAT. I was inches away from buying them when I decided to try on the T-Bones just to say I did.

I ended up geting the T-Bones over the KS's because they offer up alittle more coverage and are alittle tighter. They do break in and become more roomy.

Saying that they do get hotter than the kyle straits but that is something I can take. Knowing that in a crash they wont more like my buddies KS's

Here a link T-Bones
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Roach FR pads are nice. More than worth the price they currently sell for. My only gripe with them is they are bulky.

For that reason I'm also in the market for new pads, something a little more fitted.

Anyone try the Dainese 3x leg pads?

They look nice, but have yet to find any solid reviews.

Hardest thing about finding knee/shin pads is that rarely do the manufacturer describe the coverage. Is the pad full shin, 3/4 shin, 1/2 shin coverage? Can never tell with out being able to try them on or see a detailed picture of someone with them on.

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    The rockgardn stuff is great... though I think it still is a bit exposed at the back of the leg from memory. My 661s are open backed.... i have giant metal claw scars to proof it
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    good deals on roach armor - sierra trading post, online.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I picked up the roach dh pads from jenson usa and they are pretty nice... I got the extra large and they fit good I'm 6 foot got long legs and short arms.. The knee cup in the DH model is wicked for keeping them in place, have yet to spill hard with them yet but they stay in place pinnin it.

Brackish
    Roach, because they work and they last forever. Mine have been getting pounded on for two and a half years with no breakage or ripping and they never move around in nasty crashes. Next year, when the new colors and designs come out, I'll pick up a new pair but that'll be because I like new colors not because I need them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Been on Roach/RF for 4 years and couldnt be happier. After going through about 5 styles from different brands (661, Fox, Rockgardn to name a few) I finally stuck with the Roaches because they fit well and have been decently pedalable and very durable. I've had 3 sets, and each time I try another brand I end up going back.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Roach rally FR, they are so light and fit so nicely
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    The Roach/RF FR pads are the nicest I have ever had but they do have weaknesses. I'v gone over the bars and skinned up both knee caps. I remember thinking $80 and they don't protect my knees! They're called knee guards for F*** sake. Last year on the shore my buddy rolled where he needed to drop and had to get several stitches on his knee cap because the pads just peeled right back. But like I said they are better than any I have tried in the past. Comfy and not too hot.

I just ordered a pair of the new TLD Lopes pads and am excited about the reviews and the rumored lack of slip.