mtbr member

Shin Gaurds w/ knee brace

I got a pretty serious knee brace I'll be wearing this summer. I want to have some kind of knee/shin protection. Anyone got a good solution for this?
    Waitin on the weekend

sixsixtysix
    Coming off another torn ACL I am wearing the Donjoy Armor brace this season. It had an optional integrated knee pad. Most the braces from Donjoy, Breg and CTi have them available.

mtbr member
    I'm also coming of a torn acl. That donjoy looks pretty sick. I currently have a vq orthocare hawk. I would like to avoid having to buy another high dollar knee brace. I don't think insurance would help on a second brace, but it may be worth looking into.
    Waitin on the weekend

sixsixtysix
    You may be able to fab something up to fit over the brace you have. The Donjoy knee pad is literally like half a normal 661 shin pad. It has 2 little flaps that wrap around the brace at the hinges and 1 elastic strap that velcros the bottom around your leg. The brace is under the pad. Something like that could probably be done with $20 worth of stuff from a fabric store and someone who knows how to sew.

As for the Donjoy, they are not as expensive as alot of the other braces if you take a look around, I got mine for about $450. I only use it for riding as I also have a CTi2 for day to day running around.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my hawk is about an $800 knee brace. I don't really need anything else or want anything else in this price range. Hoping somebody may have used a particular brand of shin gaurd or something along those lines that may have worked. Looking for a $50 - $100 solution.
    Waitin on the weekend

mmm bacon

Donjoy knee guard

Like six said the donjoy knee brace is thin, I have an extra one lying around if you want it. You might be able to sew a kids size rector plastic cover over the actual knee guard for better protection. I am curently experimenting with my CTi2 brace and a pair of dainese knee guard lites. They appear to have more abrasion resistance than the CTi2 knee guard. Hope your knee fel better I've still got 1 to 2 months until I can really ride. Cheers JK

mtbr member
    I see the ortho tomorrow. Right now I may be living in a fantatsy world, but the fingers are crossed. I'll ask him his opinion on this. Doesn't seem like theres a good, cheap solution to the problem. ACL's are expensive.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr remember
    yeah, I've wondered a bit too... I have a Breg X2K pc. I almost NEVER wear it when biking though, only when snowboarding. I just wear my regular Roach rally pads. For some reason I have no recurring worries about my ACL when biking. But I have lightly pondered buying a cheap set of those low end fox or tld pads, then tearing it down and seeing what I can do (or what my GF can do, haha) with the velcro straps and plastic/foam sections...

if anybody finds a solution, it would be interesting to see some pics.
    Schralp it Heavy.

ride hard take risks
    If you are having serious problems you need to spend the money for real protection. If you have insurance they will generally cover knee braces. EVS works pretty close with the medical profession & might be able to shed some light on this for you.

http://www.evs-sports.com/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I have been wearing a brace under my knee and shin guards for about ten years. The fox launch guards fit the best over my brace and protect it from damage. I have had to replace a couple of braces to find this out.

mtbr member
    Thanks CBiDrive, this is what I was looking for. I already have a very high quality knee brace, just wanted some protection for pedal impact.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a custom Don Joy brace and I fit my Roach FR knee/shin combo right over it without any problems.