Thread: Shimano Zee

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shimano Zee

Currently running an older pair of Elixir R SL's of my DH bike and while they are adequate, doing a few laps on my brothers bike equipped with some newer codes makes me want something with a bit more stopping power and more grabbiness. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm leaning towards the Zee's as they seem to be a great brake for the money. Am I correct in assuming that these will be a big improvement over the Elixirs?

Also, could anybody tell me if I will have any issues running these with my current rotors/adapters/frame/fork combo? My bike is an 08 Flatline with 203mm G3 rotors front and back and my fork is a 2010 66 Ti. I'm also open to other brakes in the same price range if you have other suggestions. Haven't really been on here in the past few years so I'm pretty out of the loop on current bike tech.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I haven't ridden Zee's yet to give you a comparison, but my Elixer R's were plenty for everything I could ride. Do you have organic pads and a fresh bleed? Those two maintenance level fixes made them able to lock the tires even on rough concrete with Hookworm slicks on the bike, and were basically an on/off in the dirt with any kind of knobby. Any more power and I would bet that you could adjust the rotation speed of the Earth by stopping.

Might consider spending $60 on tuning them up and getting high quality pads, instead of $400 on a new set of brakes.

Edit: Also, this would probably be better off in the Brake subforum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for info. I've tried changing pads and getting a bleed but its still not exactly what I'm after. I suppose it doesn't help that I have a 45lb bike with boat anchors for wheels! I'm also looking at the used market. I don't want to spend more than $200-250 for the set and I figure I can sell my brakes now for $100 or so. I'll try posting this in the brake forum. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i run m820 saints on my dh bike and really like them, the zee is a slighly less adjustable version of this brake so will be pretty much the same, you wont be dissapointed,,,
    all my other bikes run m785 xt brakes,,, these to have great feel adjustment modulation and stopping power,

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How would say XTs or SLXs compare to my elixirs in terms of power? I've read good things about them and they can be had for $200 brand new. My only concern is that they aren't 4 pistons like the Zees and Codes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1 View Post
    How would say XTs or SLXs compare to my elixirs in terms of power? I've read good things about them and they can be had for $200 brand new. My only concern is that they aren't 4 pistons like the Zees and Codes.
    to be honest i never used codes so cant give a fair answer of comparison,,, all i can tell you is in my opinion the xt are a good brake, quite comparable to my saints, not saying they are as powerful but they stood up to the task when i rode my trail bike in the bike park, im pretty light though, weigh 10 stone, 64 kg, not sure what that is in pounds, thinks its arround 140 150,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Forget the SLX/XT and just get the damn Zees. Seriously. Because you'll end up getting the Zees anyway. Been there, done that. More power, better modulation, and dimpled levers are nicer than the smooth SLX/XT ones.

I've owned or used every brake made by Shimano & Avid in the past 10 years. Elixirs are garbage, kill them with fire or donate them to the people who like them. Elixir Trails are Ok, but they're still out-performed by Shimano's M755 XT from nearly 15 years ago. And they still squeal like a pig on half the bikes I've tried with them. Codes have nice power but there's a distinct disconnect between what the caliper is doing and what the lever says it should be doing, I could never get a feel for the thing when precise modulation is required.

SLX is good enough that I have it on one of my bikes, but there's a bit of a wonky spot in the lever travel because of the Servo-wave cam mechanism which can sometimes make modulation a bit tricky when feathering the brakes. Had a few accidental lockups in slippery conditions. The XT & XTR mostly fixes that since you can adjust the free-stroke to get past that wonky point where the cam changes the leverage ratio, though this will increase the lever throw. Lots more power than Elixirs, a touch more than my M755 XT, and less than the Codes.

Saint and Zee is where it's at, I own both and would put them on all my bikes if I could afford it. Massive power, and with superb modulation. I was riding on snow & ice with regular tires in the winter and I never had an accidental lockup or slide while braking, just perfect control every time. The only downside is that the brake pads are huge which can make aligning the calipers a bit tricky, that and they have a slightly longer lever throw than the SLX/XT brakes which may annoy the folks who like to run their levers to the bars.