Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano Ultegra 6500 9-Speed Cassette

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. Blonde 
#1 ·
Will this cassette work with my setup, LX shifters and XT rear derailleur and 9 speed chain.

Also what do all these numbers mean exactly:

11-2-3-4-5-6-7-19-21

14-5-6-7-8-9-21-3-5

#3 ·
Like Blonde said... I would replace the chain as well. The chain and cassette wear together nd you should replace them together.

As for the cog size I'm pretty sure the 14-25 is for junior road race gearing so kids don't blow up thier legs. With that being said I wouldn't run a 14 as your largest cog on a DH bike. I would get something that is an 11 tooth or atleast get a 12 tooth as the smallest. 11-23 or 11-26 is the way to go in my opinion.

#5 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
As for the cog size I'm pretty sure the 14-25 is for junior road race gearing so kids don't blow up thier legs. With that being said I wouldn't run a 14 as your largest cog on a DH bike. I would get something that is an 11 tooth or atleast get a 12 tooth as the smallest. 11-23 or 11-26 is the way to go in my opinion.
Agreed.

My newer 7Point has become a bit of a mini DH bike lately. I'm running a custom 6sp cassette (with 9sp spacing) with an 11-12-14-16-18-21 tooth combo and a 34t ring and I'm LOVING that setup it shifts super quick and crisp and with my XTR shifter I can get through all but one cog in a single throw.

#7 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
Like Blonde said... I would replace the chain as well. The chain and cassette wear together nd you should replace them together.

word im having vince ^^^ actually put an 11-23 on my new race wheelset. cant Fin wait!

#8 ·
You can still get 12-27 ultegra cassettes, I just picked one up a few days ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.