mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Shimano rear derailleur shadow xt? new slx?

Im on my last stage of building up my preston, I need a shimano leverage rear derailleur, because I have a sram attack shifters. I also need a cassette and chain. I'm trying to keep it on the budget but it looks like its best just to get a xt or so. I also see the new slx has direct cable routing and more for FR type. I don't beat hard on my Der often and they usually last a long time. I think I will go with a 11/34 xt or lx cassette. I need to PEDAL UP, i thought id put that in bold because people like to over look that part on this forum. I have a set of new SLX cranks with 22/36 setup. Anyone know where to get a good deal on this stuff? Any suggestions would be great. Again I have sram attack shifters, so X9 X7 wont work %100 correctly to my knowledge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Even Deore is available in shadow configuration now.

chain reaction cycles usually has "fell off the back of the truck" cheap prices on Shimano stuff.

Glad to Be Alive
    ebay it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    in my experience, shadows wear at a alarming rate. id go for the slx r der, xt cassette and pg-991 crossstep chain given those choices. and call yer lbs for prices and good service without warranty hassles.
    No, I'm NOT back!

bike rider
    When I used a Deore derailleur a couple years ago it had a softer tension spring than XT and the chain bounced a lot more.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yea thats why im wondering which is better for FR, the xt or slx, their pretty close in price

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have both the SLX and XT shadow models on different bikes....honestly can't tell a difference between them as far as spring tension. They're both beefier than the old tension springs.....very nice. I got the XT at cost when they first came out a few years ago, but after using them both, I'd save the money and buy the SLX now. Haven't noticed any wear at all on the XT other than normal pulley teeth and it's been through a lot of miles and shifting.

If you don't mind the extra grams, you can get some of the mid-level Sram cassettes pretty cheap. I've used a couple of them and couldn't tell any difference in life between them and the XT's that I've normally used over the years.