Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

set up help: '09 888 rc3 wc/dhxc on a session 88 for 220 lb rider

title says it all. im settin up a bike blindly for a cat 3 pal whos lower on the aggression level and will have to ship it to him. since i weigh 160, im not much help. the bike came stock with a 500 lb fox spring and ill guess hes gonna need a 650. the fork has a med (k-6,5) spring and ill assume the standard marzocchi spring rules apply - meaning they are classically oversprung and this should be close to right with some preload dialed in.

the plan is to ship it post haste from the midwest so he has it for a 3 day, labor day weekend at sunrise. it will be up to him to find springs to fit so time is critical and yer experienced help very welcome.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I found the 888 RC3 to be wildly oversprung with the stock spring. I also found the oil level to be quite low (so low that the Volume Adjuster simply didn't do anything). At his weight I'd definitely try the medium. At 190lbs I went for the light spring and after adjusting the oil level I believe my sag is correct. It may take a few rides to get the oil level dialed in, it seems to me that the VA is pretty useless or only usefull when you get the oil level close to where it needs to be (to prevent bottom out).

Ride. If fork bottoms, add maybe 15cc of oil. Repeat. If fork is better and you don't want to risk over-filling it then incrimentally put less oil in as it gets closer. It's not hard to do this, but it does take time/riding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

good tips man. thanx as always.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Professional Troll
    I'm ~205lbs naykid and I run a stiff spring on my 888 rc3. I'm higher on the aggressive side though.

thats where i think the split may come. with his aggression level, he may want it more plush and forgiving. just a guess. what sag are you runnin with the heavy spring? our plan is 15%, much like a boxxer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Professional Troll
    I'm running around 15-20% or so. Not a whole lot, I prefer to keep a fork up in the travel.

yep. thats what i learned on my boxxer. took some trust to get my brain around that concept after decades of 25-30% sag.

thanx
    No, I'm NOT back!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. thats what i learned on my boxxer. took some trust to get my brain around that concept after decades of 25-30% sag.

thanx
    Yep, keeps you from going OTB, and definitely makes you more stable at high speeds, DHIDIOT taught me that one .

indeed it does. think hes the guy who clued me in when i was wonderin what the hell was up with my nearly no sag boxxer. it worked as promised. whats yer rear shock setup and spring weight?
    No, I'm NOT back!