Thread: Session or demo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Session or demo

Hey all,
    Getting a new DH bike and was looking at the session or demo...
    Few questions:

Which jumps better?

which has stronger frame?

I am looking at a 2012 demo 2 stock or a 2012 session 8 with a 2012 RC4 and a 2013 fox 40

Any help would be great!

brake later, pedal sooner
    i only rode the carbon session, but my demo was better at jumping. the aluminum demo is surely stronger than the aluminum trek, i dunno about vs the carbon.

Uphill? What's that
    Both are great bikes.. Don't want to start a argument with ustemuf but everyone at my local bike park claims the session jumps better than the demo..( I will say that I have seen videos of ustemuf and he kills on the demo). I would have to agree that the demo is stronger than the aluminum session.. Don't know about the carbon.

RideDirt
    Those are VERY common bikes and im sure can easily be rented out for you to try out for the day at your bike park or whatever it is you ride .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Have used them both, really good bikes but what get's me on the Demo is the low BB and short end. Comes down to preference (Pepsi or Coke type of thing)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Podium man. Podium.

DownhillBAWS
    i agree with ustemuf

mtbr member
    Session owner here and I say flip a coin. It doesn't matter what bike you get, it will be the best bike you ever had.... until the next one. Towards the unfounded statement of strength, Session's are still judged by there 2009-2010 (and 2011 Session 8) predecessor which know one still has been able to show me any more then a couple dents in the down tube.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 09-25-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    i get such a kick out of "which bike jumps better" questions. if you are adept at jumping, any bike will jump the way you want it to. sure some bikes suspension handle considerably different from others, but nothing that a little finessing(all bikes will need a little anyway) wont fix to make them jump equally...

mtbr member
    My bud has a Session, he got it 2nd hand. Original owner snapped the linkage/rocker to the shock, but was warrantied. Bike in person looks impressive on the aesthetic side, but has some of the infamous dents on the downtube known to be prone to the Session.

Never had a lot of time riding it, but here's my initial impression on the session. Although the spring rate was a bit high for my weight, bike felt good on corners and chops, felt balanced on jumps. I just felt it was a lot harder to pull the front wheel up (i.e. manual, j-hops). My Demo7 weighed much more but it's easier to do j-hops and manuals. I think both bikes are winners...Just don't forget the downtube protector if you go for the session
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Both bikes are good. Go with whatever you can get a better deal on. How well a bike jumps / how stable it is in the air for these two bikes is going to be just about suspension setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pepsi and Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Pepsi and Coke.
    i'm pretty sure cans of that are what the aluminum trek tubing is made from...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I spent a day test riding the Demo, and Session (also RDH) and I thought that the Session didn't jump nearly as well as the Demo, however the Session was incredibly fast; almost scary fast and didn't lose speed in the turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the posts... I have heard that the old sessions 09-10 and the 11 session 8 had the problems with the bottom tube denting. I have also heard that this was fixed... Any one have any info on that?

DownhillBAWS
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    I know that this is random but how are you doing ustemuf? Have you decided if you are still going to stay into downhill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsolorza View Post
    Thanks for all the posts... I have heard that the old sessions 09-10 and the 11 session 8 had the problems with the bottom tube denting. I have also heard that this was fixed... Any one have any info on that?
    Trek changed the 88 frame for 2011, to make it hold up to WC conditions. The down tube went from being flat on the bottom to being kind of egg shaped, but not exactly. Trek also beefer up the frame at the head tub and rear triangle. Trek had a vid somewhere talking about the improvements to strength after months of Gwinn testing the Session 88. Now, for 2012, the Session 8 is the same frame as the 2011 88. My guess is that most didn't know there were two different frames, which is uncommon, and Trek heard all the soda can talk.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 09-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Pepsi and Coke...I was gonna say Mt. Dew

My friends Session has a contraption to protect the downtube, we make fun of it likes its wearing a "diaper".
    Folangag

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Pepsi and Coke.
    I am here to recommend Mr. Pibb.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    so, OP, what are you buying????

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up the session... I will post pics soon... It was the better build and i got the better deal. I figured I could sell the frame if I don't like it next year and grab a demo frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    I spent a day test riding the Demo, and Session (also RDH) and I thought that the Session didn't jump nearly as well as the Demo, however the Session was incredibly fast; almost scary fast and didn't lose speed in the turns.
    Off topic but, how did the RDH ride compared to the demo and session? Always thought the RDH would fit my local trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Off topic but, how did the RDH ride compared to the demo and session? Always thought the RDH would fit my local trails.
    I bought the RDH after test riding all three. I loved the way the RDH looked for starters, it was different. As for ride, I thought that it was plenty fast for me, and loved to get up off the ground, and when it lands, it feels really stable. I've ridden it on local trails as well, and although its probably a bit much for that, its still a very fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    I know that this is random but how are you doing ustemuf? Have you decided if you are still going to stay into downhill
    i'm doing okay, thanks for asking,..i'm gonna try to get through this knee thing without surgery.

i don't know if i'm gonna ride DH again.. it's too early for me to say still. i lent my bike to my cousin in the mean time so its outta my sight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Usteuf... Sorry to hear about your knee... I have seen your pics and it would suck to lose such a talented rider!

Get well soon and get back on your bike